- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Marshall P.Allegra, M.D.
- AskThe Experts - Lawrence Durso
- Ask the Expert - Vincent Dicks CEO - Career Gaudium
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Gables New York
- Best Bet - Manfredi Auto Group
- The Guide 2015 - Leather & Fur Ranch
- Day Tripper - The Staten Island Children’s Museum
- Day Tripper - Overnight Adventures
- Day Tripper - Central Park
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Etc - School Daze
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - ClockWorks Development Group
- Gift Guide - Deluxe Windows
- The Guide 2014 - Atlantic Fencing Academy
- Health Talk
- Health - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Health Talk - Beth M. Deutch MD
- Health Talk - GENESIS Fertility and Reproductive Medicine
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Caroline Glicksman, MD
- Health - The Lombardi Plastic Surgery Center
- Health - Air Doctors, Inc.
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Best Bet - David Burke’s Fromagerie
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home Guide - Troost Bros., Inc.
- The Home Gallery - John Cortese Masons
- The Home Q&A - H2o Bath & Kitchen Elegance: Green Technology
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Osteria Cucina Rustica
- HWB 2015 - Vito Mazza Salon & Spa
- The Home - JGS Insurance
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move - Brayden Donnelly
- People On The Move: Bob Mackler
- People On The Move - Sophie Garito
- Summer Guide
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Bay
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2013 - Sunkissed Airbrush Tanning
- The Guide 2015 - Wisteria of Red Bank
- The Guide 2015 - St. George Theatre
- The Home Guide
- The Home - JGS Insurance
- Best Bet - Community Appliance
- The Home Guide - Oasis Backyard Farms
A Grand Redesign
04/26/2010 - By Michael Berman
Photography by: AK Photo / Al Kruper
The Finellis’ musical inspiration sparks a symphony of redecorating
Len and Ursula Finelli purchased their home in Marlboro in 1984 and enjoyed living there until 1993 when they decided they needed a bigger home for their growing family. They were interested in a slightly over two acre building lot in Colts Neck that had a terrific private feel, although it was located in a small subdivision of sorts. The topography, an old historic logging trail, made for an interesting landscape contour and gave the home’s site a dramatic backyard grade.
The majestic 5,800 square foot brick and stucco colonial was designed in a classical style and served the family quite well until the Finelli’s decided to purchase a grand piano for their daughter Danielle, a dance student, to learn to play on. Their son Eric participated in sports such as soccer, baseball and basketball while growing up in Colts Neck, but a piano seemed like a good choice for Danielle to build on her musical interests. A magnificent flame mahogany grand piano found a home in the Finelli’s living room. Not long afterward Len and Ursula began to look for some new furnishings to complement their great-sounding and elegant looking new purchase.
The Finelli’s found themselves in Zaksons of Bricktown and Red Bank doing a little browsing and soon met Jolinda Lee, a senior interior designer on staff, and asked her to come over and take a look at their home and make some design suggestions. Well, as so often happens “one thing led to another” and Ursula and Len were well on their way to composing a symphony of redecorating with the guidance of Jolinda and her assistant Alison Junda. The results are classically inspired with a European twist. Custom furnishings, fabrics, wall finishes and fine art pieces combine with exacting architectural details, such as custom moldings, to create a warm and inviting atmosphere. Comfortable, yet elegant in every way, the work accomplished has given the Finelli home a truly rich and inviting character - while not losing a bit of the warmth and comfort that the family enjoys sharing with friends and family whenever possible. The family’s grand piano now has a grand, newly redecorated interior to fill with cheerful beautiful music for all to enjoy.
The Finelli’s designer, Jolinda Lee - working closely with her clients - utilized the considerable design capabilities of Zaksons to create a custom, elegant, yet comfortably inviting design landscape inspired by the purchase of a new mahogany grand piano. Custom fabric selections and fine art pieces as well as faux finishing paint techniques and carefully chosen lighting fixtures all help to create a fresh, warm and intimate interior.
“What’s New” is a classic song fromthe great American songbook , but could also be the theme playing in the background of any of the Finelli’s rooms that have been re imagined over the two year time period of their most recent home redesign. Len had always wanted a getaway space to work and relax in.The room adjoining the living room was the perfect place to create this comfort zone for him. Classically inspired built ins are richly stained and finished. Custom moldings (courtesy of Peter Veteska from Architectural Detailing), richly patterned furnishings and architectural details combine to create a masculine yet comfortable getaway space.
The Finelli foyer is grand and quite a bit more interesting with the addition of box moldings accenting the staircase, a glittering crystal chandelier, fine art pieces and ornamental moldings throughout - all adding up to elegance personified. Jolinda describes her design approach to the Finelli home as “classical and traditional with European accents without a hint of stiffness.”
A view from above reveals balance and elegance in the Finelli great room. Lush fabrics soften the large window and decorative moldings add architectural interest. The Oriental rug grounds the room and the custom plush sofas makes the overall feeling of the space most welcoming.
The redecorated powder room reflects the same attention to detail that the rest of the Finelli home illustrates. A beautiful paint finish, gilded framed mirror along with new bathroom fixtures and just the right accent pieces create an elegantly redesigned private space.
The formal dining room has plenty of seating and has vintage style. The table, chairs, breakfront and sideboard feature classic Chippendale elements and the ceiling detail and chandelier pull the room together with style and grace.
Powered by eDirectory™