- Around Town
- QuickChek Opens Newest Store In Morganville
- Count Basie Theatre Announces Board Members
- Resources Real Estate announces their Award-winning Sales Agents
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Expert - Jack Giglio
- Ask The Expert - Beth Thomas-Edwards
- Ask The Expert - Greg Nipoti
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- 2016 Guide - DeMarcos Catering & Gourmet Deli
- The Guide 2014 - Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
- Best Bet - The Healthy Palate
- Cover Story
- Pete Harnisch - Bringing It Home
- George Joynson: History Detective
- Taylor Totland The Shotmaker
- Monmouth Eat Beat - Ama Ristorante
- Eat Beat - Angelinas Ristorante
- Staten Island EatBeat - Campania Coal Fired Pizza
- Fall Guide
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Fall Guide - Museums
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Grace Your Space
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2015 - EXIT Realty East Coast Doreen DeMarco
- Best Bet - David Burkes Fromagerie
- The Guide 2015 - Eagle Oaks Golf & Country Club
- Health Talk
- South Shore Animal Hospital
- Health Talk - GENESIS Fertility and Reproductive Medicine
- Health Talk - Brian Long CareOne Senior Care
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Our Pick - Holmdel Periodontics & Implant Dentistry
- Health - Spine and Pain Centers
- HWB 2015 - Lifestyles Medical
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Best Bet - David Burkes Fromagerie
- Eat Beat - Holiday Buzz: Dining Out for the Holidays
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Living History On A Gentleman's Farm - The Griswolds
- Elegant and Inviting, The Bellomos Home Offers Warmth to Friends and Family
- Chateau Campillay
- Living in Colts Neck
- Montrose Schoolhouse
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- All The Pretty Horses
- Newsletter Articles
- Our Pick: Lighting Expo
- The Home - ACD Custom Granite
- Company Profile - BMW of Freehold
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Craft Master Builders Corporation
- Health - Retina Consultants
- Our Pick - Terrazza
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Catherine Zalewski
- Canine on the Move: The Therapy Dog
- People on the Move: Majorie Mollenauer
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- The Bay
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Grace Sharpe
- Our Pick - White Sands
- Staten Island EatBeat - Arena Steakhouse & Lounge
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Rodmans Building Inc.
- The Home Guide - Ron Youmans, Jr.
- The Home Guide - Pietra Bella
Ask The Expert: Asaad H. Samra, M.D.
Asaad H. Samra, M.D.
733 N. Beers Street, Suite U-1
Holmdel, NJ 07733
Dr. Asaad H. Samra, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, received his Bachelor of Arts in Biology in 1997 fromThe Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD, his medical degree in 2001 from UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, and went on to train in plastic and reconstructive surgery at Baylor College of Medicines world renowned residency program, located at Texas Medical Center. There Dr. Samra received extensive experience, operating with some of the nations top surgeons from some of the countrys finest institutions, including theTexas Childrens Hospital and the MDAnderson Cancer Center. He has conducted research and given many presentations on topics ranging from cosmetic surgical and non-surgical interventions to extensive reconstructive surgery. Born and raised in New Jersey, Dr. Samra is back in his home state, with his own practice. His special interests are aesthetic surgery, breast surgery, as well as hand and post-traumatic reconstruction. He is a candidate member of the following professional organizations: American Society of Plastic Surgeons, New Jersey Society of Plastic Surgeons, American College of Surgeons, and New York Regional Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.
What are the latest trends in cosmetic surgery?
Most of the recent advances in cosmetic surgery have been in the area of minimally invasive procedures. In our fast-paced world, people have been looking for quick procedures with little to no downtime. Most people are familiar with Botox and its uses. Less people are aware of the soft tissue fillers, and even fewer with the different options of filler. Soft tissue fillers are most commonly used to replace volume or fill in areas of the face that have lost volume with weight loss or aging. The more common areas treated are the lines around the mouth (parenthesis lines), the lines that extend downward from the corners of the mouth (marionette lines), and the lips. The more popular fillers, Juvederm and Restylane, are made from hyaluronic acid. These dont require allergy testing, and the effects last somewhere between 6 months to 1 year. Radiesse, a longer-lasting product, is made with very small calcium particles, and can be used to treat the parenthesis and marionette lines; it lasts for 12 months or more. On the horizon for fillers is the inclusion of lidocaine, a local anesthetic, which will add a longer-lasting numbing effect. As for advances in surgery, perhaps the most sought after is laser-assisted liposuction, also known as SmartLipo. This advance allows the surgeon to treat the skin, as well as the underlying fat. The laser energy causes collagen to contract, tightening the skin. SmartLipo MPX the latest platform combines two different lasers and is more powerful than the older models.
Should patients see a boardcertified plastic surgeon?
Yes. The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), the only plastic surgery board approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties, is the governing body that has established strict guidelines for plastic surgeons to be included in this elite group. If a plastic surgeon is board-certified by the ABPS, a patient can have confidence that they will be treated by an expert in their field; they have proven to the Board to have a profound knowledge in the vast specialty. Not all specialty boards are created equal. People need to ensure that their plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Furthermore, they should expect their surgeon to address their needs, ensure their privacy, and provide care in state-of-the-art facilities.
How important is weight loss or exercise in planning surgery?
Body contouring procedures, such as a tummy tuck or liposuction, are best done after a patient has come close to their goal weight. These procedures are not meant to be substitutes for weight loss, but to reshape the body after. Exercise after surgery all depends on the type of surgery done and how extensive. In general, it is safer to take about 2 to 3 weeks off from strenuous exercise, but walkingmay be allowed as soon as a few days afterward.
Who are the most common cosmetic surgery patients?
Today, most people getting cosmetic surgery are women. There has been an increasing trend, however, among men and adolescents. Furthermore, the belief that it is only for the wealthy is only a myth. More people from all walks of life have undergone procedures, ranging from minimally invasive, such as Botox and softtissue fillers, to the more invasive procedures such as liposuction and breast augmentation. Thirdparty financing, with little or no interest rates, have helped those who want surgery to get it. Depending on the age group, women tend to have body contouring procedures or facial cosmetic surgery; men are more likely to seek liposuction, but facial cosmetic procedures are also increasing in numbers. The most common procedure among adolescents is rhinoplasty (nose job), and were also seeing an increase in non-invasive skin care. I believe that we will continue to see growth in the cosmetic surgery market in all patient subgroups. Our society, as a whole, is focused on living a happy and fruitful life. For some, cosmetic surgery can enhance that experience.
Powered by eDirectory™