- Around Town
- AMI Foundation Donates More Than 500 lbs. of Food from 6th Annual Food Drive
- Is an independent school the right fit for your child?
- Meridian Health Completes Merger with Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Dearborn Market
- Ask the Expert - Richard W. Clift
- Ask The Expert - David Finkel
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - The Compounding Facility
- The Guide 2015 - Massage Envy Spa
- The Guide 2015 - The Law Firm of Kevin P. McKernan
- Daytripper:The New York Aquarium
- Day Tripper - Overnight Adventures
- Day Tripper - SLEEPY HOLLOW, NEW YORK
- Fall Guide
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Fall Guide - Kids Enrichment
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - Staten Island Fencing Center
- Gift Guide - Ralco Builders
- Gift Guide - Bark Avenue Puppy Boutique
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Carol Ash, DO
- Health Talk - Dr. Patrick Cuozzo
- Health Talk - New Reflections Plastic Surgery
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Health Talk - Maria Nadelstumph - Brandywine Senior Living at Wall
- Health - Dental
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Streat Beat - Who Would You Invite To Dinner?
- Holiday Buzz: Out & About in NYC & PHL
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Newsletter Articles
- Eats: Red
- The Home - EcoSystems Fence Co
- SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Cabinet Logistics LLC
- Our Pick - Gateway Carpets & Flooring Center
- Our Pick - David Lopez, M.D.
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move - Michael and Ally Baratta,and Sally Carden
- People On The Move - Jenn Lukowiak
- People On The Move - Jeanine Doody, Two River Dairy
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- The Bay
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Everafter Furniture
- The Guide 2015 - Sussan, Greenwald & Wesler
- The Guide 2015 - Home Living Furniture
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Downtown Tile
- The Home Guide - triSpace interiors
- The Home - Ace Home Improvements
Ask The Expert - Beth Thomas-Edwards
Beth Thomas- Edwards
Mack-Morris Beth Thomas-Edwards, Inc. Realtors
Beth Thomas-Edwards is Broker of Record and President of Mack-Morris Beth Thomas-Edwards, Inc. ealtors, an independent and full-service real estate agency. Beth founded Mack-Morris 23 years ago. The firm has remained #1 in total sales and listing volume for Holmdel and Colts Neck combined for the past 9 years, as shown in Multiple Listing Service statistics. Mack-Morris is a unique boutique, successfully competing with national franchises. Beth still enjoys working with clients and remains extremely successful and highly respected in the real estate industry.
What is the biggest myth about the real estate industry?
The real estate industry has its ups and downs. We are presently in a down market, also called a buyers market; home prices have been plummeting. There have been many bank foreclosures and short sales due to the adjustable-rate mortgages and homeowners over-improving their properties. The positive aspect is that interest rates have dropped to an all-time low. This is the time to invest! Home sellers might lose some profit, but they gain lower interest rates in purchasing a new home. Prospective home buyers have a lot of inventory, low prices, and great interest rates to choose from.
What are the key criteria one should use when hiring a listing agent?
Call three real estate professionals, look at each agencys website, check your local newspaper, and ask each agent to do a thorough inspection of your property. They will recommend any repairs. Have them do a market analysis using the past 6 months comparable sales in your immediate area. Ask for a marketing program. Does that agent invest his own money for a virtual tour, pictures, and a color brochure? Does he/she arrange for open houses? The agent you choose should call you weekly, present all written offers in person, make sure the prospective buyer is qualified, and guide you through contract negotiations. They will confirm inspections, additional deposits, and the buyers mortgage process, and should accompany you to the closing.
What are the key criteria in hiring someone as a buyers agent?
A buyers agent works strictly for the buyer. The agent should know current market conditions, show all homes in the area that meet the buyers criteria, and obey the buyers instructions. All relevant information should be disclosed to the buyer, including known facts affecting the property value, the length of time the property has been listed, the sellers need to sell, the willingness of the seller to accept a lower price, and the buyers ability to obtain the property at the lowest price. After an offer is made, a market analysis should be provided using comparison sales in the immediate area over the past 6 months. The buyers agent must give their undivided loyalty to the buyer but deal fairly and honestly with the seller.
What makes for a smooth closing?
Every seller and buyer should use a real estate attorney. Once attorney review has ended, three contingencies have to be met in a timely process: the buyers second deposit, inspections, and a mortgage commitment. If there are any issues on inspections from a licensed inspector, those must be renegotiated through the attorneys. The seller must obtain a certificate of occupancy. The buyers attorney will do a title search and survey. On the day of closing, the selling agent will do a walk-through with the buyer to make sure maintenance of the property has been kept up, all included items are intact, and all appliances are in working order. Both listing and selling agents should attend the closing in case any problems should arise.
Powered by eDirectory™