- Around Town
- The Community YMCA Launches Annual Strong Kids Campaign
- 5th Annual Cardboard Box City Raises More Than $14,000
- Renaissance Pilates Now Open
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Expert - Frank LaRocca
- Ask The Experts: Dr. Manolis G. Manolakakis
- Ask The Expert - Beth Thomas-Edwards
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Green Life Designs
- Best Bet - John M. Young Jr., DDS
- The Guide 2014 - Coastal Plumbing Supply Co.
- Cover Story
- Coming Full Circle - Michael Pomarico goes back to where it all started and gives back
- The Triple Crown
- Calling The Shots
- Day Tripper - American Museum of Natural History
- Day Tripper - Spa Castle
- Day Tripper - Lambert Castle Museum
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Featured Artist - Taylor Franzreb
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - John Cortese Masons
- Gift Guide: The Wine Loft
- The Guide 2014 - Holmdel Orthodontics
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Dr. Anthony Lombardi
- AMI Women’s Imaging Center in Brick Township
- Health Talk - Iorio Plastic Surgery and CosMedical Center
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- HWB 2014 - Joslin Diabetes Center
- Health - Retina Consultants
- Health - Sunquest Day Spa
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Yellow Brook Farm - A Post and Beam Approach Leads a Path to Timeless Design
- Behind The Red Door
- Easy Living On A Grand Scale - Alyson and Keith Arnott
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Jenn Lukowiak
- People On The Move - Mamie Amato Weiss
- People On The Move - Kevin LeMastra
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- The Bay
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- Company Profile: RUMC - Dr. Philip E. Otterbeck
- The Guide 2014 - Physicians For Alternative Medicine
- The Guide 2015 - The Atlantic Fencing Academy
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - The White Sands Oceanfront Hotel & Spa
- The Home Guide - New Jersey Best Lawns
- The Home Guide - Garage Floor Coatings of Greater NJ
Ask The Expert - Beth Thomas-Edwards
Beth Thomas- Edwards
Mack-Morris Beth Thomas-Edwards, Inc. Realtors
Beth Thomas-Edwards is Broker of Record and President of Mack-Morris Beth Thomas-Edwards, Inc. ealtors, an independent and full-service real estate agency. Beth founded Mack-Morris 23 years ago. The firm has remained #1 in total sales and listing volume for Holmdel and Colts Neck combined for the past 9 years, as shown in Multiple Listing Service statistics. Mack-Morris is a unique boutique, successfully competing with national franchises. Beth still enjoys working with clients and remains extremely successful and highly respected in the real estate industry.
What is the biggest myth about the real estate industry?
The real estate industry has its ups and downs. We are presently in a down market, also called a buyers’ market; home prices have been plummeting. There have been many bank foreclosures and short sales due to the adjustable-rate mortgages and homeowners over-improving their properties. The positive aspect is that interest rates have dropped to an all-time low. This is the time to invest! Home sellers might lose some profit, but they gain lower interest rates in purchasing a new home. Prospective home buyers have a lot of inventory, low prices, and great interest rates to choose from.
What are the key criteria one should use when hiring a listing agent?
Call three real estate professionals, look at each agency’s website, check your local newspaper, and ask each agent to do a thorough inspection of your property. They will recommend any repairs. Have them do a market analysis using the past 6 months’ comparable sales in your immediate area. Ask for a marketing program. Does that agent invest his own money for a virtual tour, pictures, and a color brochure? Does he/she arrange for open houses? The agent you choose should call you weekly, present all written offers in person, make sure the prospective buyer is qualified, and guide you through contract negotiations. They will confirm inspections, additional deposits, and the buyer’s mortgage process, and should accompany you to the closing.
What are the key criteria in hiring someone as a buyer’s agent?
A buyer’s agent works strictly for the buyer. The agent should know current market conditions, show all homes in the area that meet the buyer’s criteria, and obey the buyer’s instructions. All relevant information should be disclosed to the buyer, including known facts affecting the property value, the length of time the property has been listed, the seller’s need to sell, the willingness of the seller to accept a lower price, and the buyer’s ability to obtain the property at the lowest price. After an offer is made, a market analysis should be provided using comparison sales in the immediate area over the past 6 months. The buyer’s agent must give their undivided loyalty to the buyer but deal fairly and honestly with the seller.
What makes for a smooth closing?
Every seller and buyer should use a real estate attorney. Once attorney review has ended, three contingencies have to be met in a timely process: the buyer’s second deposit, inspections, and a mortgage commitment. If there are any issues on inspections from a licensed inspector, those must be renegotiated through the attorneys. The seller must obtain a certificate of occupancy. The buyer’s attorney will do a title search and survey. On the day of closing, the selling agent will do a walk-through with the buyer to make sure maintenance of the property has been kept up, all included items are intact, and all appliances are in working order. Both listing and selling agents should attend the closing in case any problems should arise.
Powered by eDirectory™