- Around Town
- Summer Fun - Summer 2013
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Around Town - Red Bank RiverCenter Announces 2013 Holiday Events
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert: Asaad H. Samra, M.D.
- AskThe Expert - John Kling Custom Homes
- Ask The Experts: John M. Taylor
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Buyers Guide 2011-2012
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - European Wax Center
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Marquis Florals
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Decorating Den Interiors
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide - Art of Wine
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - The Yevchaks
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Toetique Foot Spa
- Black Friday Gift Guide - Dearborn Market
- Gift Guide - Chetkin Gallery
- Health Talk
- AMI Women’s Imaging Center in Brick Township
- Health Talk - Carol Ash, DO
- Health Talk - Ragui Sadek MD FACS
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- AMI…The Breast Imaging Specialists
- Health - Avanti Day Resort
- Health - Ocean County Retina, PC
- Newsletter Articles
- A First for Everything - Kim Guadagno
- The Home Guide - The White Sands Oceanfront Hotel & Spa
- The Home Gallery - Advanced Home Remodeling
- Our Picks
- Our Pick: Byford & Mills
- Our Pick - Coldwell Banker Residential Mortgage
- Company Profile - All-County Dermatology
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move: John Blakeslee
- People On The Move: Laurence Feldman
- People On The Move - Ray Andersen
- Summer Guide
- Summer Fun - Summer 2013
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- The Bay
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Guide
- The Guide 2013 - David Burke’s Fromagerie
- The Guide 2013 - femme by ashley
- The Guide 2013 - Folio Art Glass
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Red Bank Cabinet Company
- The Home Guide - T. Dorland Studio at Folio Art Glass
- The Home Guide - Brock Farms
Ask The Expert - Beth Thomas-Edwards
Beth Thomas- Edwards
Mack-Morris Beth Thomas-Edwards, Inc. Realtors
Beth Thomas-Edwards is Broker of Record and President of Mack-Morris Beth Thomas-Edwards, Inc. ealtors, an independent and full-service real estate agency. Beth founded Mack-Morris 23 years ago. The firm has remained #1 in total sales and listing volume for Holmdel and Colts Neck combined for the past 9 years, as shown in Multiple Listing Service statistics. Mack-Morris is a unique boutique, successfully competing with national franchises. Beth still enjoys working with clients and remains extremely successful and highly respected in the real estate industry.
What is the biggest myth about the real estate industry?
The real estate industry has its ups and downs. We are presently in a down market, also called a buyers’ market; home prices have been plummeting. There have been many bank foreclosures and short sales due to the adjustable-rate mortgages and homeowners over-improving their properties. The positive aspect is that interest rates have dropped to an all-time low. This is the time to invest! Home sellers might lose some profit, but they gain lower interest rates in purchasing a new home. Prospective home buyers have a lot of inventory, low prices, and great interest rates to choose from.
What are the key criteria one should use when hiring a listing agent?
Call three real estate professionals, look at each agency’s website, check your local newspaper, and ask each agent to do a thorough inspection of your property. They will recommend any repairs. Have them do a market analysis using the past 6 months’ comparable sales in your immediate area. Ask for a marketing program. Does that agent invest his own money for a virtual tour, pictures, and a color brochure? Does he/she arrange for open houses? The agent you choose should call you weekly, present all written offers in person, make sure the prospective buyer is qualified, and guide you through contract negotiations. They will confirm inspections, additional deposits, and the buyer’s mortgage process, and should accompany you to the closing.
What are the key criteria in hiring someone as a buyer’s agent?
A buyer’s agent works strictly for the buyer. The agent should know current market conditions, show all homes in the area that meet the buyer’s criteria, and obey the buyer’s instructions. All relevant information should be disclosed to the buyer, including known facts affecting the property value, the length of time the property has been listed, the seller’s need to sell, the willingness of the seller to accept a lower price, and the buyer’s ability to obtain the property at the lowest price. After an offer is made, a market analysis should be provided using comparison sales in the immediate area over the past 6 months. The buyer’s agent must give their undivided loyalty to the buyer but deal fairly and honestly with the seller.
What makes for a smooth closing?
Every seller and buyer should use a real estate attorney. Once attorney review has ended, three contingencies have to be met in a timely process: the buyer’s second deposit, inspections, and a mortgage commitment. If there are any issues on inspections from a licensed inspector, those must be renegotiated through the attorneys. The seller must obtain a certificate of occupancy. The buyer’s attorney will do a title search and survey. On the day of closing, the selling agent will do a walk-through with the buyer to make sure maintenance of the property has been kept up, all included items are intact, and all appliances are in working order. Both listing and selling agents should attend the closing in case any problems should arise.
Powered by eDirectory™