- Around Town
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- 12th Annual AMI Foundation Golf Classic
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Experts - Ranney School
- Ask The Expert - Joe Chehova of Lighting World
- Ask The Experts: Dr. John M. Young
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Voyagers' Community School
- The Guide 2014 - The Pine Tavern
- The Guide 2015 - AW Eurostile
- Daytripper: Liberty Science Center
- Day Tripper: Grounds For Sculpture
- Day Tripper - Spa Castle
- Etc - The Facebook Situation
- Etc - Aspirin...please.
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide 2014 - The Art of Wine
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Air Doctors, Inc.
- The Guide 2015 - Angelinaís Ristorante
- Gift Guide: Brock Farms
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Ayotunde Adeyeri, M.D.
- Guest Blogger >> Sonya Moretti, WHNP-BC, NAMS
- Health Talk - Rejuvenate Center for Medical Aesthetics
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Dr. Pamela Levy
- HWB 2014 - Retina Consultants
- HWB 2014 - Women's Center
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Give a Little - Get a Lot
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Living in Colts Neck
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Gratitude in Guatemala
- Feels Like Home
- Newsletter Articles
- Kids On The Move: Ben Cruz
- Our Pick - Red Bank Radiologists
- The Home - Dulce Feito-Daly
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Advanced Surgical & Bariatrics of NJ
- Our Pick - Allan J. Proske, CFP
- Our Pick - IVF New Jersey Fertility and Gynecology Center
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Sergio and Zen Rizzuto-Flancbaum
- People On The Move - Peter Caram
- People On The Move - Jenn Lukowiak
- The Bay
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Guide
- Our Pick - Richmond Tile & Bath
- The Guide 2015 - EXIT Realty East Coast Doreen DeMarco
- Company Profile - Marshall P. Allegra
- The Home Guide
- Best Bet - Community Appliance
- The Home Guide - Joey Dís
- The Home Guide - Energy Aide
Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
Pelican Pool & Ski Center
East Brunswick, NJ 08888
Tel: (732) 254-5115
Pelican is the largest spa, pool, patio and grill dealer on the east coast. Family owned and operated, Pelican started small in rural Whitehouse in 1960. Through hard work and great service, the business grew. The original Pelican in Whitehouse, NJ is more than 30,000 square feet. Three generations of family members managing he five New Jersey/Pennsylvania locations strive to keep low prices, high quality and fast delivery.
People have regained hot tub consciousness for their back yards, decks/patios and even inside the home. Why the popularity of hot tubs?
Well, that might be a sign of the stressful times. Warm water massage has been shown to stimulate the body to release endorphins that help to naturally reduce a personís stress. A hot tubís hydrotherapy jets can dilate your bodyís blood vessels, which increases blood flow and helps loosen and relax sore muscles and joints. The National Sleep Foundation states that soaking in hot water before going to bed can ease the transition into sleep and encourage a deeper sleep.
Hot tubs used to be considered only for high-income families. Is that still the case?
There are now hot tubs on the market for all income levels. The hot tub market has actually been competing against some segments of the in-ground and above ground pool market. In our area of the country, most people are lucky if they get five months of enjoyment from their pool. A hot tub can be enjoyed all year long. We have had customers originally in the market for a small in-ground pool, who ended up buying a swim-spa instead. Swim-spas have powerful jets that create a strong current for swimmers to swim against, they are larger than your traditional hot tub, and like all hot tubs they offer the possibility for year-round enjoyment.
Once you have a hot tub installed, is it necessary to hire someone to maintain it?
While we do offer the service, it is not something many people require. Most hot tubs are less than 500 gallons of water, so keeping the water clean isnít very difficult. Some brands of hot tubs offer features that reduce the amount of maintenance required to keep the water clean, such as ďsalt water tubs.Ē The concept is that by adding salt to the water the hot tub has the ability to use that salt to create either chlorine or bromine (most commonly used sanitizers) to maintain a clean and sanitary hot tub.
There are so many different manufacturers, models, sizes, options. Can you explain how to narrow your search when considering what to buy?
First and foremost, consumers should make sure they are buying from a reputable dealer with a long history in selling hot tubs and one that has service technicians on staff. Hot tubs are big appliances and from time to time they will need to be serviced. As far as options, I would say look to reduce the amount of time spent maintaining the hot tub, with features like the salt systems mentioned above. LED lighting and stereo systems can definitely add enjoyment to the hot tub experience.
What are some areas of concern to ensure your hot tub is child-safe?
Even though the hot tub isnít as deep as a pool, proper supervision of children in and around the tub is a must! The spa cover should have locking straps that will enable the user to lock the cover closed when not in use. The homeowner will want to make sure the electrical connection to the tub is done by a licensed professional, that all the proper permits are acquired and local codes are met.
Powered by eDirectory™