- Around Town
- Bentley Edison Service Clinic
- Voyagers’ Community School Welcomes Dr. Nel Noddings
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Mathnasium® of Marlboro
- Ask The Expert - Joe Adelfio of Closettec NJ
- Ask The Expert - John Coscia of AJC Advisors
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Ray Catena Motor Cars
- The Guide 2015 - Lincroft Village Jewelers
- The Guide 2015 - Victory Medical
- Cover Story
- Perfectly Pitched For Success - Charlie Puth
- Red Bank's Mike Petke
- Captain David Harrison - Defending From The Jersey Shore
- Day Tripper - Lambert Castle Museum
- DayTripper: Manasquan Reservoir
- Day Tripper - SLEEPY HOLLOW, NEW YORK
- Eats: Rosalia Italian Marketplace
- Staten Island EatBeat - Nino’s Restaurant
- Oceanfront Restaurant’s New Wine Program Creates Big Waves in Jersey Shore Wine Scene
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- ETC - Beach Bias
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - Museums
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - Grace Your Space
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - John Cortese Masons
- Gift Guide - Don Francisco Cigars
- The Guide 2015 - Page Plaza Diner
- Health Talk
- Health Blog - Glo Bar Skin Art Studio
- Health Talk - Dr. Anthony Lombardi
- Health Talk - Dawn Rockwell, DMD
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Back 2 Health Family Wellness Center
- Health - Hammer House
- Health - haircolorxperts
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Best Bet - David Burke’s Fromagerie
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Specialists
- Company Profile - Miller Buick GMC
- The Home - Oasis Backyard Farms
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Larissa Shulman
- People On The Move: Joe Hsia
- People On The Move - Tamara Markowitz
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Dish - Summer Guide 2014
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- The Bay
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Architects Studio Inc. Northeast
- The Guide 2015 - Gold Leaf Jewelers
- The Guide 2014 - femme by ashley
- The Home Guide
- Our Pick - Hubbard Park Real Estate
- The Home Guide - Downtown Tile
- The Home Guide - A and J Remodeling Services
Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
Pelican Pool & Ski Center
East Brunswick, NJ 08888
Tel: (732) 254-5115
Pelican is the largest spa, pool, patio and grill dealer on the east coast. Family owned and operated, Pelican started small in rural Whitehouse in 1960. Through hard work and great service, the business grew. The original Pelican in Whitehouse, NJ is more than 30,000 square feet. Three generations of family members managing he five New Jersey/Pennsylvania locations strive to keep low prices, high quality and fast delivery.
People have regained hot tub consciousness for their back yards, decks/patios and even inside the home. Why the popularity of hot tubs?
Well, that might be a sign of the stressful times. Warm water massage has been shown to stimulate the body to release endorphins that help to naturally reduce a person’s stress. A hot tub’s hydrotherapy jets can dilate your body’s blood vessels, which increases blood flow and helps loosen and relax sore muscles and joints. The National Sleep Foundation states that soaking in hot water before going to bed can ease the transition into sleep and encourage a deeper sleep.
Hot tubs used to be considered only for high-income families. Is that still the case?
There are now hot tubs on the market for all income levels. The hot tub market has actually been competing against some segments of the in-ground and above ground pool market. In our area of the country, most people are lucky if they get five months of enjoyment from their pool. A hot tub can be enjoyed all year long. We have had customers originally in the market for a small in-ground pool, who ended up buying a swim-spa instead. Swim-spas have powerful jets that create a strong current for swimmers to swim against, they are larger than your traditional hot tub, and like all hot tubs they offer the possibility for year-round enjoyment.
Once you have a hot tub installed, is it necessary to hire someone to maintain it?
While we do offer the service, it is not something many people require. Most hot tubs are less than 500 gallons of water, so keeping the water clean isn’t very difficult. Some brands of hot tubs offer features that reduce the amount of maintenance required to keep the water clean, such as “salt water tubs.” The concept is that by adding salt to the water the hot tub has the ability to use that salt to create either chlorine or bromine (most commonly used sanitizers) to maintain a clean and sanitary hot tub.
There are so many different manufacturers, models, sizes, options. Can you explain how to narrow your search when considering what to buy?
First and foremost, consumers should make sure they are buying from a reputable dealer with a long history in selling hot tubs and one that has service technicians on staff. Hot tubs are big appliances and from time to time they will need to be serviced. As far as options, I would say look to reduce the amount of time spent maintaining the hot tub, with features like the salt systems mentioned above. LED lighting and stereo systems can definitely add enjoyment to the hot tub experience.
What are some areas of concern to ensure your hot tub is child-safe?
Even though the hot tub isn’t as deep as a pool, proper supervision of children in and around the tub is a must! The spa cover should have locking straps that will enable the user to lock the cover closed when not in use. The homeowner will want to make sure the electrical connection to the tub is done by a licensed professional, that all the proper permits are acquired and local codes are met.
Powered by eDirectory™