- Around Town
- Malvern School Hosts Seventh Annual Lemonade Day
- Operation Provide Comfort
- The Community YMCA Launches Annual Strong Kids Campaign
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - John Panicali, D.C., Chiropractor
- Ask The Expert - Joe Adelfio of Closettec NJ
- Ask The Expert - Beth Thomas-Edwards
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Architects Studio Inc. Northeast
- The Guide 2014 - We Got Lites
- The Guide 2014 - Nina Ferrer Design
- Cover Story
- The Ultimate Fighter: Renzo Gracie
- A Major League Success - John Valentin
- Red Bank's Mike Petke
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Museums
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - Federicoís Landscape Design
- The Guide 2014 - Fashion Classes of NJ
- Gift Guide - Erik Kitchen Design
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Beth M. Deutch MD
- Health - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Health Talk - Pietro Carpenito, M.D.
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Studio 455 Hair Salon
- Health - Spas
- Health - StudioV Mind, Body and Soul
- SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
- Full Circle - The Gamzas
- A Labor of Love - The Salems
- Newsletter Articles
- Rich Ideas- Dos and Doníts
- Our Pick: Visual Impact Decorating
- The Home Gallery - Monmouth St. Tile
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Dr. Young Orthodontic & Cosmetic Services
- Our Pick - Shore Runner
- Our Pick: Jonathan Salon Red Bank
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Lauren Sgroi
- People On The Move - Kyle Galante
- People On The Move - Sean Davis
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- The Bay
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - One Stop Womenís Health
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - School Answers
- The Guide 2014 - Osteria Cucina Rustica
- Company Profile - The Curvy Bride
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Ryserís Landscape Supply
- The Home Guide - Visit Brock Farms
- The Home Guide - T. Dorland Studio at Folio Art Glass
Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
Pelican Pool & Ski Center
East Brunswick, NJ 08888
Tel: (732) 254-5115
Pelican is the largest spa, pool, patio and grill dealer on the east coast. Family owned and operated, Pelican started small in rural Whitehouse in 1960. Through hard work and great service, the business grew. The original Pelican in Whitehouse, NJ is more than 30,000 square feet. Three generations of family members managing he five New Jersey/Pennsylvania locations strive to keep low prices, high quality and fast delivery.
People have regained hot tub consciousness for their back yards, decks/patios and even inside the home. Why the popularity of hot tubs?
Well, that might be a sign of the stressful times. Warm water massage has been shown to stimulate the body to release endorphins that help to naturally reduce a personís stress. A hot tubís hydrotherapy jets can dilate your bodyís blood vessels, which increases blood flow and helps loosen and relax sore muscles and joints. The National Sleep Foundation states that soaking in hot water before going to bed can ease the transition into sleep and encourage a deeper sleep.
Hot tubs used to be considered only for high-income families. Is that still the case?
There are now hot tubs on the market for all income levels. The hot tub market has actually been competing against some segments of the in-ground and above ground pool market. In our area of the country, most people are lucky if they get five months of enjoyment from their pool. A hot tub can be enjoyed all year long. We have had customers originally in the market for a small in-ground pool, who ended up buying a swim-spa instead. Swim-spas have powerful jets that create a strong current for swimmers to swim against, they are larger than your traditional hot tub, and like all hot tubs they offer the possibility for year-round enjoyment.
Once you have a hot tub installed, is it necessary to hire someone to maintain it?
While we do offer the service, it is not something many people require. Most hot tubs are less than 500 gallons of water, so keeping the water clean isnít very difficult. Some brands of hot tubs offer features that reduce the amount of maintenance required to keep the water clean, such as ďsalt water tubs.Ē The concept is that by adding salt to the water the hot tub has the ability to use that salt to create either chlorine or bromine (most commonly used sanitizers) to maintain a clean and sanitary hot tub.
There are so many different manufacturers, models, sizes, options. Can you explain how to narrow your search when considering what to buy?
First and foremost, consumers should make sure they are buying from a reputable dealer with a long history in selling hot tubs and one that has service technicians on staff. Hot tubs are big appliances and from time to time they will need to be serviced. As far as options, I would say look to reduce the amount of time spent maintaining the hot tub, with features like the salt systems mentioned above. LED lighting and stereo systems can definitely add enjoyment to the hot tub experience.
What are some areas of concern to ensure your hot tub is child-safe?
Even though the hot tub isnít as deep as a pool, proper supervision of children in and around the tub is a must! The spa cover should have locking straps that will enable the user to lock the cover closed when not in use. The homeowner will want to make sure the electrical connection to the tub is done by a licensed professional, that all the proper permits are acquired and local codes are met.
Powered by eDirectory™