- Around Town
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Experts - Ranney School
- Ask The Experts - Premier Pain Centers
- Ask The Experts - Michael J. Cunningham MD
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Renaissance Pilates Red Bank
- The Guide 2014 - Thompson Center for Plastic Surgery
- The Home Guide - Downtown Tile
- Cover Story
- Nicholas Harary - The Essential Ingredients
- Passion for Pop - Joe Petruccio
- Talking Family and Football with NFL Network’s Melissa Stark
- Day Tripper - Staten Island Ferry Adventure
- Staten Island Fun Facts
- DayTripper: Manasquan Reservoir
- Fall Guide
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Fall Guide 2014 - Museums
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Featured Artist - The Yevchaks
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Anvil Studio
- The Guide 2015 - Gerald Peters Goldmine Jewelers
- The Guide 2014 - Red Bank Sleep Shoppe
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Brian Long CareOne Senior Care
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Health Talk - Kristin Belen, M.D.
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health Talk - Pietro Carpenito, M.D.
- Meridian Weightless
- Health - Marlboro Dental Arts
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Living in Colts Neck
- La Bella Vita!
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- The Triple Crown
- Newsletter Articles
- Our Pick: Lighting Expo
- The Home Q&A - H2O Bath & Kitchen Elegance: Bathroom Renovation
- Parker Family Health Center Named Beneficiary
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Vianney Institute of Learning
- Our Pick - Dr. Claudia Huegel
- Company Profile - Lincroft Village Dental
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Bob Leibner
- People On The Move: Tony Abbatiello
- People On The Move - Sean Egan
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- The Bay
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Trade Mart Interiors
- The Guide 2014 - Red Bank Veterinary Hospital
- The Guide 2014 - Danielle Spressert
- The Home Guide
- Our Pick - Hubbard Park Real Estate
- The Home Guide - Colts Neck Manor House
- The Home - Oasis Backyard Farms
Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
Pelican Pool & Ski Center
East Brunswick, NJ 08888
Tel: (732) 254-5115
Pelican is the largest spa, pool, patio and grill dealer on the east coast. Family owned and operated, Pelican started small in rural Whitehouse in 1960. Through hard work and great service, the business grew. The original Pelican in Whitehouse, NJ is more than 30,000 square feet. Three generations of family members managing he five New Jersey/Pennsylvania locations strive to keep low prices, high quality and fast delivery.
People have regained hot tub consciousness for their back yards, decks/patios and even inside the home. Why the popularity of hot tubs?
Well, that might be a sign of the stressful times. Warm water massage has been shown to stimulate the body to release endorphins that help to naturally reduce a person’s stress. A hot tub’s hydrotherapy jets can dilate your body’s blood vessels, which increases blood flow and helps loosen and relax sore muscles and joints. The National Sleep Foundation states that soaking in hot water before going to bed can ease the transition into sleep and encourage a deeper sleep.
Hot tubs used to be considered only for high-income families. Is that still the case?
There are now hot tubs on the market for all income levels. The hot tub market has actually been competing against some segments of the in-ground and above ground pool market. In our area of the country, most people are lucky if they get five months of enjoyment from their pool. A hot tub can be enjoyed all year long. We have had customers originally in the market for a small in-ground pool, who ended up buying a swim-spa instead. Swim-spas have powerful jets that create a strong current for swimmers to swim against, they are larger than your traditional hot tub, and like all hot tubs they offer the possibility for year-round enjoyment.
Once you have a hot tub installed, is it necessary to hire someone to maintain it?
While we do offer the service, it is not something many people require. Most hot tubs are less than 500 gallons of water, so keeping the water clean isn’t very difficult. Some brands of hot tubs offer features that reduce the amount of maintenance required to keep the water clean, such as “salt water tubs.” The concept is that by adding salt to the water the hot tub has the ability to use that salt to create either chlorine or bromine (most commonly used sanitizers) to maintain a clean and sanitary hot tub.
There are so many different manufacturers, models, sizes, options. Can you explain how to narrow your search when considering what to buy?
First and foremost, consumers should make sure they are buying from a reputable dealer with a long history in selling hot tubs and one that has service technicians on staff. Hot tubs are big appliances and from time to time they will need to be serviced. As far as options, I would say look to reduce the amount of time spent maintaining the hot tub, with features like the salt systems mentioned above. LED lighting and stereo systems can definitely add enjoyment to the hot tub experience.
What are some areas of concern to ensure your hot tub is child-safe?
Even though the hot tub isn’t as deep as a pool, proper supervision of children in and around the tub is a must! The spa cover should have locking straps that will enable the user to lock the cover closed when not in use. The homeowner will want to make sure the electrical connection to the tub is done by a licensed professional, that all the proper permits are acquired and local codes are met.
Powered by eDirectory™