- Around Town
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- QuickChek Opens Newest Store In Morganville
- Fall Guide 2014 - Activities
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Beth Thomas-Edwards
- AskThe Expert - John Kling Custom Homes
- Ask The Expert - Robert E.Wold, M.D.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Modern Elegance Kitchen & Bath Studio
- The Guide 2014 - Staten Island Mall
- The Guide 2015 - Mark Lauria Associates
- Day Tripper - Atlantic City
- Day Tripper - American Museum of Natural History
- Day Tripper - South Street Seaport NYC
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - Activities
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Fall Guide 2014 - Pick Your Patch
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - Morgan Fertility and Reproductive Medicine
- Gift Guide: JMH Home Design Consultants
- Gift Guide - Energy Aide
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Dr. Clifford M. Sales
- Health Talk - Pop Weight Loss
- Health - Think Spring, Think Injury Avoidance
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- The Cardiovascular Care Group Announces New “JUST WALK™” Program
- Health - Pilates Space, LLC.
- Health - Caroline Glicksman, MD
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- A Hanukkah Story
- Holiday Buzz: Out & About in NYC & PHL
- Best Bet - David Burke’s Fromagerie
- Award-Winning Country Estate
- Easy Living On A Grand Scale - Alyson and Keith Arnott
- A Regal Invitation - Gracie
- Newsletter Articles
- Federal Hall: A Historic Wonder
- Dr. Peter Staats - Physician of the Year
- Team Life Celebrates 20 Years
- Our Picks
- Eagle Oaks Golf & Country Club - In A League of Their Own
- The Home - JGS Insurance
- Our Pick - Gregg Mechanical
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Glen J. Dalakian
- Kids On The Move: Rachel Cooperstein
- People On The Move - Premise Martin
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- The Bay
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - K9 Resorts Daycare & Luxury Hotel
- The Guide 2014 - Connie Profaci Realty
- The Guide 2015 - The Cracked Olive Market
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - triSpace interiors
- The Home Guide - Colts Neck Manor House
- The Home Guide - Top Line Appliance Center
Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
Pelican Pool & Ski Center
East Brunswick, NJ 08888
Tel: (732) 254-5115
Pelican is the largest spa, pool, patio and grill dealer on the east coast. Family owned and operated, Pelican started small in rural Whitehouse in 1960. Through hard work and great service, the business grew. The original Pelican in Whitehouse, NJ is more than 30,000 square feet. Three generations of family members managing he five New Jersey/Pennsylvania locations strive to keep low prices, high quality and fast delivery.
People have regained hot tub consciousness for their back yards, decks/patios and even inside the home. Why the popularity of hot tubs?
Well, that might be a sign of the stressful times. Warm water massage has been shown to stimulate the body to release endorphins that help to naturally reduce a person’s stress. A hot tub’s hydrotherapy jets can dilate your body’s blood vessels, which increases blood flow and helps loosen and relax sore muscles and joints. The National Sleep Foundation states that soaking in hot water before going to bed can ease the transition into sleep and encourage a deeper sleep.
Hot tubs used to be considered only for high-income families. Is that still the case?
There are now hot tubs on the market for all income levels. The hot tub market has actually been competing against some segments of the in-ground and above ground pool market. In our area of the country, most people are lucky if they get five months of enjoyment from their pool. A hot tub can be enjoyed all year long. We have had customers originally in the market for a small in-ground pool, who ended up buying a swim-spa instead. Swim-spas have powerful jets that create a strong current for swimmers to swim against, they are larger than your traditional hot tub, and like all hot tubs they offer the possibility for year-round enjoyment.
Once you have a hot tub installed, is it necessary to hire someone to maintain it?
While we do offer the service, it is not something many people require. Most hot tubs are less than 500 gallons of water, so keeping the water clean isn’t very difficult. Some brands of hot tubs offer features that reduce the amount of maintenance required to keep the water clean, such as “salt water tubs.” The concept is that by adding salt to the water the hot tub has the ability to use that salt to create either chlorine or bromine (most commonly used sanitizers) to maintain a clean and sanitary hot tub.
There are so many different manufacturers, models, sizes, options. Can you explain how to narrow your search when considering what to buy?
First and foremost, consumers should make sure they are buying from a reputable dealer with a long history in selling hot tubs and one that has service technicians on staff. Hot tubs are big appliances and from time to time they will need to be serviced. As far as options, I would say look to reduce the amount of time spent maintaining the hot tub, with features like the salt systems mentioned above. LED lighting and stereo systems can definitely add enjoyment to the hot tub experience.
What are some areas of concern to ensure your hot tub is child-safe?
Even though the hot tub isn’t as deep as a pool, proper supervision of children in and around the tub is a must! The spa cover should have locking straps that will enable the user to lock the cover closed when not in use. The homeowner will want to make sure the electrical connection to the tub is done by a licensed professional, that all the proper permits are acquired and local codes are met.
Powered by eDirectory™