- Around Town
- Staten Island Fun Facts
- Voyagers' Community School - Open House
- Operation Provide Comfort
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Dearborn Market
- Ask The Expert: Iris Lurie
- Ask The Expert - Marshall P.Allegra, M.D.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Atlantis Centers, Inc.
- Best Bet - Carlo's Bakery
- Best Bet - John M. Young Jr., DDS
- Cover Story
- Mike Scotti - From the Front Line to the Screen
- Hunter Baker
- From Saigon to Success - Dr. Khanh Nguyen lives the “American Dream” in Colts Neck
- Day Tripper - Balloon Flights
- Day Tripper - American Museum of Natural History
- Day Tripper: Grounds For Sculpture
- Fall Guide
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Fall Guide 2014 - The Art of Wine
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Entertain With Jane
- The Guide 2014 - Atlantic Eye Physicians
- Gift Guide - Princeton BMW-MINI
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Asaad H. Samra, MD, FACS - Samra Plastic Surgery
- Health Talk - Pietro Carpenito, M.D.
- Health Talk - IVF New Jersey
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Dermatology Associates of Central New Jersey
- Health - Aroma Skin Care & Day Spa
- Health - Dr. Anthony Mancino
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Best Bet - David Burke’s Fromagerie
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Homes: Classically Inspired - A family’s heritage and traditions guide a dramatic interior
- Forsaking Formal - Garito
- Sunrise to Sunset - The Bonfiglio's
- Newsletter Articles
- A Country Estate: The Mullaneys'
- The Home Gallery - Odyssey Land Design Group
- Our Pick: Lighting Expo
- Our Picks
- United Teletech Financial Federal Credit Union
- Our Pick - AMDS+ Radiology
- Our Pick: ACD Custom Granite
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move - Brayden Donnelly
- People On The Move - Peggy Karaban
- People On The Move - Peter Priolo
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Bay
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Bentley Edison
- The Guide 2014 - Reproductive Science Center of NJ
- The Guide 2014 - Cabitron Kitchen and Bath
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - EncoreGarage of New Jersey
- The Home - Ryser’s Landscape Supply
- The Home - Giglio Builders
Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
Pelican Pool & Ski Center
East Brunswick, NJ 08888
Tel: (732) 254-5115
Pelican is the largest spa, pool, patio and grill dealer on the east coast. Family owned and operated, Pelican started small in rural Whitehouse in 1960. Through hard work and great service, the business grew. The original Pelican in Whitehouse, NJ is more than 30,000 square feet. Three generations of family members managing he five New Jersey/Pennsylvania locations strive to keep low prices, high quality and fast delivery.
People have regained hot tub consciousness for their back yards, decks/patios and even inside the home. Why the popularity of hot tubs?
Well, that might be a sign of the stressful times. Warm water massage has been shown to stimulate the body to release endorphins that help to naturally reduce a person’s stress. A hot tub’s hydrotherapy jets can dilate your body’s blood vessels, which increases blood flow and helps loosen and relax sore muscles and joints. The National Sleep Foundation states that soaking in hot water before going to bed can ease the transition into sleep and encourage a deeper sleep.
Hot tubs used to be considered only for high-income families. Is that still the case?
There are now hot tubs on the market for all income levels. The hot tub market has actually been competing against some segments of the in-ground and above ground pool market. In our area of the country, most people are lucky if they get five months of enjoyment from their pool. A hot tub can be enjoyed all year long. We have had customers originally in the market for a small in-ground pool, who ended up buying a swim-spa instead. Swim-spas have powerful jets that create a strong current for swimmers to swim against, they are larger than your traditional hot tub, and like all hot tubs they offer the possibility for year-round enjoyment.
Once you have a hot tub installed, is it necessary to hire someone to maintain it?
While we do offer the service, it is not something many people require. Most hot tubs are less than 500 gallons of water, so keeping the water clean isn’t very difficult. Some brands of hot tubs offer features that reduce the amount of maintenance required to keep the water clean, such as “salt water tubs.” The concept is that by adding salt to the water the hot tub has the ability to use that salt to create either chlorine or bromine (most commonly used sanitizers) to maintain a clean and sanitary hot tub.
There are so many different manufacturers, models, sizes, options. Can you explain how to narrow your search when considering what to buy?
First and foremost, consumers should make sure they are buying from a reputable dealer with a long history in selling hot tubs and one that has service technicians on staff. Hot tubs are big appliances and from time to time they will need to be serviced. As far as options, I would say look to reduce the amount of time spent maintaining the hot tub, with features like the salt systems mentioned above. LED lighting and stereo systems can definitely add enjoyment to the hot tub experience.
What are some areas of concern to ensure your hot tub is child-safe?
Even though the hot tub isn’t as deep as a pool, proper supervision of children in and around the tub is a must! The spa cover should have locking straps that will enable the user to lock the cover closed when not in use. The homeowner will want to make sure the electrical connection to the tub is done by a licensed professional, that all the proper permits are acquired and local codes are met.
Powered by eDirectory™