- Around Town
- Voyagers’ Community School Welcomes Dr. Nel Noddings
- Fall Guide 2014 - The Art of Wine
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts: John M. Taylor
- AskThe Experts - Virginia McDonald
- AskThe Expert - Pauline Poyner
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Decorating By Moira, LLC
- The Guide 2015 - Ama Ristorante at Driftwood
- The Guide 2014 - Colts Neck Inn
- Cover Story
- First Lady of Holmdel, Mayor Serena DiMaso
- Stay Tooned - Keep an eye on Long Branch’s Michael Attardi – Animation’s New Maestro
- Feature: Michael DiGiacomo
- DayTripper: Princeton
- Day Tripper - South Street Seaport NYC
- Day Tripper - Old Barracks Museum
- Fall Guide
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Fall Guide 2014 - Museums
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide: Add-On Pools & Patio
- The Guide 2015 - CheckMate Communications
- The Guide 2015 - Richmond University Medical Center
- Health Talk
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Health Talk - Iorio Plastic Surgery and CosMedical Center
- Health Talk - Rockwell Dentistry
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Air Doctors, Inc.
- Health - Ocean County Retina, PC
- Health - Hospitals
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Best Bet - David Burke’s Fromagerie
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Newsletter Articles
- Michael Hurst Named Managing Director of Two River Theater Company
- Company Profile - Cunningham Orthopaedics
- A Country Estate: The Mullaneys'
- Our Picks
- HWB 2015 - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Our Pick - Red White and Blue Contracting, Inc.
- Our Pick - Nina Ferrer
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Mindy Gollin
- People On The Move: Julie Baron
- Larry Fink caring, focused, and concerned environmentalist
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Bay
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - George Wall Ford Lincoln
- The Guide 2015 - Allure Plastic Surgery Center
- The Guide 2015 - The Atlantic Fencing Academy
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Showerman of NJ, Inc.
- The Home Guide - A and J Remodeling Services
- The Home Guide - Sea Bright Solar
Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
Pelican Pool & Ski Center
East Brunswick, NJ 08888
Tel: (732) 254-5115
Pelican is the largest spa, pool, patio and grill dealer on the east coast. Family owned and operated, Pelican started small in rural Whitehouse in 1960. Through hard work and great service, the business grew. The original Pelican in Whitehouse, NJ is more than 30,000 square feet. Three generations of family members managing he five New Jersey/Pennsylvania locations strive to keep low prices, high quality and fast delivery.
People have regained hot tub consciousness for their back yards, decks/patios and even inside the home. Why the popularity of hot tubs?
Well, that might be a sign of the stressful times. Warm water massage has been shown to stimulate the body to release endorphins that help to naturally reduce a person’s stress. A hot tub’s hydrotherapy jets can dilate your body’s blood vessels, which increases blood flow and helps loosen and relax sore muscles and joints. The National Sleep Foundation states that soaking in hot water before going to bed can ease the transition into sleep and encourage a deeper sleep.
Hot tubs used to be considered only for high-income families. Is that still the case?
There are now hot tubs on the market for all income levels. The hot tub market has actually been competing against some segments of the in-ground and above ground pool market. In our area of the country, most people are lucky if they get five months of enjoyment from their pool. A hot tub can be enjoyed all year long. We have had customers originally in the market for a small in-ground pool, who ended up buying a swim-spa instead. Swim-spas have powerful jets that create a strong current for swimmers to swim against, they are larger than your traditional hot tub, and like all hot tubs they offer the possibility for year-round enjoyment.
Once you have a hot tub installed, is it necessary to hire someone to maintain it?
While we do offer the service, it is not something many people require. Most hot tubs are less than 500 gallons of water, so keeping the water clean isn’t very difficult. Some brands of hot tubs offer features that reduce the amount of maintenance required to keep the water clean, such as “salt water tubs.” The concept is that by adding salt to the water the hot tub has the ability to use that salt to create either chlorine or bromine (most commonly used sanitizers) to maintain a clean and sanitary hot tub.
There are so many different manufacturers, models, sizes, options. Can you explain how to narrow your search when considering what to buy?
First and foremost, consumers should make sure they are buying from a reputable dealer with a long history in selling hot tubs and one that has service technicians on staff. Hot tubs are big appliances and from time to time they will need to be serviced. As far as options, I would say look to reduce the amount of time spent maintaining the hot tub, with features like the salt systems mentioned above. LED lighting and stereo systems can definitely add enjoyment to the hot tub experience.
What are some areas of concern to ensure your hot tub is child-safe?
Even though the hot tub isn’t as deep as a pool, proper supervision of children in and around the tub is a must! The spa cover should have locking straps that will enable the user to lock the cover closed when not in use. The homeowner will want to make sure the electrical connection to the tub is done by a licensed professional, that all the proper permits are acquired and local codes are met.
Powered by eDirectory™