- Around Town
- Rumson Country Day School Celebrates the Class of 2012
- Sickles Market - What to Do in the Garden in August
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Ask The Experts
- Ask the Expert - Richard W. Clift
- AskThe Expert - Stacy Lynn Costa MA, Ed.S.
- Ask The Experts: Dr. John M. Young
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Bark Avenue Puppies
- Best Bet - John M. Young Jr., DDS
- Best Bet - Career Gaudium
- Day Tripper - Atlantic City
- DayTripper: Northlandz
- Day Tripper - South Street Seaport NYC
- Eats: Park Avenue Bistro
- Popular Daily Specials Return to AMA Ristorante
- Our Pick - Sofra Turkish Cuisine
- Fall Guide
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Fall Guide 2014 - Activities
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - Turning Point of Holmdel
- Gift Guide - Ski Barn
- Gift Guide - Wegmans Food Market
- Health Talk
- ProFysio Physical Therapy
- Health Talk - Gym Spa
- HWB 2015 - Advanced Surgical Healthcare Associates
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Allure Plastic Surgery Center
- Health - Fitness
- HWB 2015 - Advanced Surgical Healthcare Associates
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Holiday Buzz: Holiday Desserts
- Give a Little - Get a Lot
- Living in Colts Neck
- All The Pretty Horses
- It's All in the Details
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Newsletter Articles
- Bentley Edison Vehicle Storage Special
- The Home Guide - Top Line Appliance Center
- Eats: Mumford's Culinary Center
- Our Picks
- Company Profile - Sun National Bank
- Our Pick - Asahi
- Company Profile - Atlantic Medical Imaging
- People On The Move
- Pam Wood - Advocate For Special Needs Children And Their Parents
- People On The Move - Mimi Chang
- People On The Move - Glenn Harbour
- Summer Guide
- Our Pick 2016 - Hot Tubs by HotSpring
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Best Bet - The Burr Law Group
- The Bay
- The Bay - One Stop Womens Health
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Richmond Chandelier
- The Guide 2015 - Town & Country Kitchen & Bath
- The Guide 2015 - Rockwell Dentistry
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Garage Floor Coatings
- The Home Guide - triSpace interiors
- Best Bet - Community Appliance
Ask the Experts: DicksteinAssociatesAgency, LLC
Jasper E. Parrella, Jr.
Jasper E. Parrella, Jr. is the President and GeneralManager of Dickstein AssociatesAgency, LLC, an independent insurance agency offering a full suite of insurance and financial services. Their clients include individuals, families, businesses, public entities, and commercial enterprises. He has worked in the industry for 30 years, becoming a partner at DicksteinAssociates in 1986, and has served on numerous insurance company agent advisory councils; he presently chairs Encompass Insurance Companys NorthStar National Product & Pricing Committee.
What criteria should someone use when deciding where to purchase insurance?
Im a strong advocate of the independent agent system and believe consumers should always consult with a professional independent agent before making any insurance-related decisions. Insurance is complicated, and the advice of an expert can help you make the right decisions, whether youre in the process of making an insurance purchase or managing ongoing risk. Using an independent insurance agent gives you a distinct advantage access to multiple insurance companies, a broad selection of insurance policies, customized coverage, competitive pricing, convenient local service support, and unparalleled advocacy.
What are some mistakes people make when buying insurance?
1. Failing to get professional advice. For example, buying car insurance is not all about price. Since most people dont actually read their policy cover to cover, what they may not know is that all car insurance companies and their policies are not created equal. A professional agent will explain the differences and help you navigate your way through those complexities. We welcome the opportunity, and often work with a clients accountant, attorney, and financial professionals in order to provide the best professional advice and solutions available.
2. Confusing price and value. Smart consumers are not only price sensitive, but also price conscious. Theres the direct cost of insurance coverage and the value that coverage provides. After all, you expect your agent and insurance company to be there for you when you need them most at the time of a claim but what about the rest of the time? Theres the intangible value of an agents professional service that includes providing personalized attention to customer service, convenience of a local office, dedicated claims advocacy, and dedicated risk-management professionals who offer ongoing advice and consultation. If you have the comfort and ease that comes from doing business with people who care about you and whom you trust, wellits hard to put a price on that.
What are some overlooked insurance products and services?
The fastest growing area of crime is identity theft. Every 79 seconds someone's identity is stolen and an account is opened in the victim's name. In 2005, $56 billion was stolen. The average time it takes a victim to restore his or her credit is 60 to175 hours, and most of those calls have to be made during normal business hours. The impact on your life can be staggering, yet many standard homeowner policies fail to provide expense reimbursement associated with ID theft. For a marginal sum you can add ID theft coverage to your policy. Keep in mind that this coverage is usually limited to reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses associated with repairing your credit and not for the value of items stolen.
If you own a business or are an individual who employs anyone, you know the risks associated with your employment responsibilities. Consider the cost of Employment Practices Liability (EPLI) for alleged wrongful termination or discrimination. With EPLI, insurance companies not only provide your defense, but pay up to your policy limit if you lose the case, potentially saving you hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal costs. Many carriers provide HR and legal advice free of charge as an added value.
A common mistake is failure to get adequate flood coverage. The standard homeowner's policy does not cover flood damage, which can be caused by storms, melting snow, hurricanes, or water backup due to inadequate drainage systems. Floods are the #1 natural disaster in the U.S., and almost a quarter of associated claims come from outside high-risk flood zones. Keep in mind that under FEMA rules there's a 30-day waiting period on most new flood policies, so its wise not to wait until the last minute.
Another error people make is forgetting to insure their income. What if the family breadwinner dies or becomes disabled? Who will earn the money for the car, mortgage, etc.? Almost half of the country doesn't have life insurance. Everyone who supports their family should consider the impact of their premature death or disability. Term insurance rates are at historic lows, so todays affordable rates provide greater opportunity forat least a basic level of protection.
Powered by eDirectory™