- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts - David Chewey
- Ask The Expert - Greg Nipoti
- Ask The Expert - Rudolf C. Thompson, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - KryoLife Staten Island
- The Guide 2014 - Athena Learning Center
- Best Bet - Lotus Health & Wellness Spa
- Day Tripper - Whitesbog Village
- Day Tripper - Delaware Water Gap
- Day Tripper - Atlantic City
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Art of Wine
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Iorio Plastic Surgery and CosMedical Center
- Health - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Health Talk - Beth M. Deutch MD
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Test Sports Clubs
- HWB 2014 - Allure Plastic Surgery Center
- Health - The Lombardi Plastic Surgery Center
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Give a Little - Get a Lot
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Forsaking Formal - Garito
- New Kids In Town - The Daszkowskis
- Living History On A Gentleman's Farm - The Griswolds
- Living in Colts Neck
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Feels Like Home
- Muriel Rogers - Local Artist
- Newsletter Articles
- Company Profile - BMW of Freehold
- Our Pick - Jeunesse Medical Spa
- Wine Academy Superstores
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Colonial Nursery
- Our Pick - Hoch Orthodontics
- Our Pick - Red Bank Radiology Mammography Center
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Kyle Galante
- Colts Neck Member Of Jack & Jill Monmouth County Chapter
- Kids On The Move - Ryan Dolan
- The Bay
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - CheckMate Communications
- The Guide 2014 - Thompson Center for Plastic Surgery
- The Guide 2014 - Tom Rostron Co. Inc.
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Showerman of NJ, Inc.
- The Home Guide - Energy Aide
- The Home - Ace Home Improvements
Ask The Experts - Premier Pain Centers
Premier Pain Centers
160Avenue AtThe Common, Suite 1
Shrewsbury, NJ 07702
Scott E. Metzger is a board certified pain management physician and the founder of Premier Pain Centers.Dr. Metzger started the New Jersey chapter of the American Society of Interventional Pain Practitioners. He is also the chair of the section of Pain Management at Riverview Medical Center.Dr. Metzger attended the prestigious six year medical program at Boston University. His post-graduate work includes a residency and fellowship at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore. He is board certified in pain management by the American Board of Pain Medicine and the American Board of Anesthesiology.
Born and raised in central New Jersey, the most rewarding part of Dr. Metzger's practice is the opportunity to practice in his community. Dr. Metzger is known for achieving dramatic improvement in pain without major surgery.
Pain management is a branch of medicine employing an interdisciplinary approach for easing the suffering and improving the quality of life of those living with pain. Effective management of long-term pain frequently requires the coordinated efforts of a management team. The goal of pain medicine is to improve quality of life and help patients return to everyday activities without surgery. The American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians represents physicians practicing in the field of pain medicine. As a medical specialty society, ASIPP is involved in education, training, advocacy, and research in the specialty of pain medicine. Indeed, practitioners of pain management - such as the staff of Premier Pain - are at the forefront of exploring this new specialty, as evidenced by their extensive published works, including books, journals and peer-reviewed articles. They have served as editors for many prestigious journals in the field of pain. Additionally, they have been founders and presidents of several national and regional pain societies. Premier Pain Centers' Dr. Scott E. Metzger elaborates on all this and more for us as we Ask the Expert...
While pain management may be a common specialty to some, there are many of us who may not have a clear understanding of what it entails. Can you shed some light on what pain management encompasses for our readers?
Pain management is a relatively new specialty that treats acute and chronic painful conditions. Our goal is to come up with a diagnosis and strategy which helps relieve pain. In addition, we perform minimally invasive techniques and surgeries that get to the source of the problem with out extensive surgery.
Do patients generally visit pain management specialists because of a referring physician, or, if their insurance allows, can they come to you directly? And, can they come to you first for a diagnosis in addition to the pain treatment?
Patients frequently come directly to a pain management specialist. Pain physicians provide a spectrum of care that includes physical therapy on through more complicated approaches. We are also trained to understand when more invasive surgery is absolutely necessary and then make the appropriate referral. We can also order whatever diagnostic testing is needed to come up with a clear diagnosis.
What should our readers know about how to select a pain management specialist and what kind of credentials should they be looking for when vetting their choice?
This is a great question. Patients should know that pain physicians are medical specialists with extensive training. In addition to completing a residency in either Anesthesiology or Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, they have also completed one or two years of specialized training in pain management at a teaching hospital. Patients should always confirm that their physicians have had the appropriate training in pain management. For example, physicians in our practice received their advanced training at Johns Hopkins and Harvard.
Are there any advances or anything being developed in the pain management specialty that you could share with our audience?
As with any other field of medicine there is a trend towards minimally invasive approaches. There are very exciting innovations that are changing the landscape of pain management. Our field is pushing the envelope towards more minimally invasive options, such as peripheral nerve stimulation and minimally invasive decompression procedures for stenosis and percutaneous discectomies.
Powered by eDirectory™