- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts - Wegmans
- Ask the Expert - Vincent Dicks CEO - Career Gaudium
- Ask The Expert - db Orthopedic Physical Therapy, PC
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Lotus Health And Wellness Spa
- Best Bet - Lotus Health & Wellness Spa
- The Guide 2014 - AnA Custom Closets
- Day Tripper - Momouth Park
- Day Tripper - Staten Island Ferry Adventure
- Day Tripper - Koziarís Christmas Village
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Featured Artist - Taylor Franzreb
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - European Wax Center
- Best Bet - Northern Valley Affairs
- The Guide 2015 - World Jeep
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Pop Weight Loss
- Health Talk - Mancini Giuffre Salon and Spa
- Health Talk - Dr. Clifford M. Sales
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Caroline Glicksman, MD
- HWB 2015 - Lifestyles Medical
- Health - Bear Brook Commons Dental Group
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Newsletter Articles
- Our Pick: Marlboro Dental Arts, PC
- The Home Q&A - H2o Bath & Kitchen Elegance: Green Technology
- The Home - Seaside Materials
- Our Picks
- Company Profile - Zaksons Fine Furniture
- Our Pick - Cracked Olive Market
- Our Pick: Ultimate Backyard Spas íN More
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move - Matthew Sawaged
- People On The Move - Mindy Gollin
- People On The Move - Jason Gers
- The Bay
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Guide
- OP - Ski Barn
- The Guide 2015 - Ray Catena Maserati
- The Guide 2015 - Tuscany Italian Specialty Foods
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Rodmanís Building Inc.
- The Home - Decorating Den Interiors
- The Home Guide - Garage Floor Coatings of Greater NJ
Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
DONíT FORGET YOUR ANNUAL CHECKUP
ďEvery man and woman should have an annual physical,Ē says family medicine physician Paula Krauser, M.D., M.A. ďItís important for your long-term health care needs to get to know your physician and for your physician to get to know you. That way, should a health care emergency arise, your doctor has already established a baseline and is familiar with your overall health, family history and any special conditions or concerns.Ē
Family physicians work on a biopsychosocial model, which means that comprehensive care rests on knowing each patient as well as their family history and their environment.
An annual exam can include the following:
HISTORY: Talk with your doctor about any complaints or concerns about your health. Your doctor will also likely quiz you about important behaviors, like smoking, excessive alcohol use, sexual health, diet and exercise. The doctor will also check your family medical history.
VITALS: Your doctor will check your blood pressure, heart rate, respiration rate and temperature. Your doctor will gather a lot of information about you just by looking at you and talking with you. He or she will also use a stethoscope to listen to your heart and lungs and then examine your head and neck, abdomen, and extremities. A neurological exam will assess nerves, muscle strength, reflexes, balance and mental state.
FOR MEN: An annual check-up for men might also include a hernia exam and an exam of the penis and prostate.
FOR WOMEN: A family physician will encourage all women to schedule an annual Pap test and pelvic exam.
LAB TESTS: There are no standard lab tests but some doctors routinely order a complete blood count and chemistry panel. If there is a suspected issue, and depending on age, gender and family history, your physician may order a urinalysis, lipid test (which includes cholesterol), thyroid, EKG and other tests appropriate for symptoms and history.
VACCINATIONS: Your physician may recommend a vaccination every ten years for diphtheria, proteases and tetanus. Depending on age, your physician may also recommend additional vaccines. Over age 60 - a new vaccine for herpes zoster (shingles). Over age 65 Ė an annual influenza vaccine and a pneumonia vaccine.
PREVENTION: The annual physical is a great time to focus on prevention and screening. At age 50, itís time to begin regular screening for colorectal cancer. People with immediate family with colorectal cancer may need to be screened before age 50. For most women, 40 marks the age to begin annual mammogram screening for breast cancer. Everyone should have cholesterol checked every five years after age 20.
HEALTHY BEHAVIORS: Your doctor will urge you to lower your risk for cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer with a regular exercise program, a healthy diet, and a lifestyle that includes smoking cessation and avoiding excessive alcohol.
WHEN SHOULD I SEE A SPECIALIST? Family physicians can expertly coordinate the care and treatment of patients with chronic health conditions such as diabetes or hypertens ion. A family medicine physician will refer patients to a sub-specialist such as an endocrinologist, neurologist, oncologist, hematologist or cardiologist when additional expertise is required.
Powered by eDirectory™