- Around Town
- Colts Neck Cares 1st Annual Benefit for Bella
- RUMC Receives AHA - AHS Gold Plus Achievement Award
- Operation Provide Comfort
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts - Premier Pain Centers
- Ask The Experts: Gary Michaels Fine Jewelry
- AskThe Experts - Dance Attitudes
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Grand Glass Inc.
- Best Bet - Decorating By Moira, LLC
- Best Bet - Cozmos Hair Color Studio
- Cover Story
- John Green - ABC News Award-Winning Producer
- Pete Harnisch - Bringing It Home
- The Ultimate Fighter: Renzo Gracie
- Daytripper: The Lakewood BlueClaws: Exciting Minor League Baseball at the Jersey Shore
- Day Tripper - Peddlers Village
- Day Tripper - The Amish Experience
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - The Facebook Situation
- Etc - Aspirin...please.
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - José Serrano
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Richmond University Medical Center
- The Guide 2014 - CoCo Pari Boutique
- Gift Guide - Posch Clothing & Accessories
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Atlantic Eye Physicians
- Health Talk - db Orthopedic Physical Therapy
- Health Talk - Dr. Anthony Lombardi
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Test Sports Clubs
- Health - StudioV Mind, Body and Soul
- Health - Institute for Weight Loss
- People On The Move
- People on the Move: Maureen Doloughty
- People On The Move - Kyle Galante
- Eric Ginsberg - Bringing People Together Through Music
- Summer Guide
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Bay
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Guide
- Company Profile - db Orthopedic Physical Therapy, PC
- The Guide 2014 - Interiors by Decorating Den
- The Guide 2014 - EXIT Realty East Coast
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - ForeverLawn at the Shore
- The Home Guide - Richmond Tile & Bath
- The Home - JGS Insurance
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™