- Around Town
- The Cardiovascular Care Group Announces New JUST WALK Program
- RCDS Hosts Jersey Shore Debate League Spring Tournament
- Hubbard Park Real Estate Becomes Exclusive Leverage Global Partner for Rumson, NJ
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts - David Chewey
- Ask The Expert - Greg Nipoti
- Ask The Expert - Northern Valley Affairs
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Aspire Fitness
- The Guide 2015 - Angelinas Ristorante
- Best Bet - Orangetheory Fitness
- Cover Story
- A Young Novelty - Sara Samarasinghe
- Racing Royalty - Joe Bongiorno
- Al Golden - The Golden Boy
- Monmouth EatBeat - Beach Tavern Restaurant
- Eat Beat - FISH Urban Dining
- The Monmouth EatBeat - Trinity Restaurant
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2015 - Gravity Vault
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Dr. Steven P. Stern D.M.D., P.A
- Gift Guide - Colts Neck Custom Shop
- Best Bet - The Rug Mall
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Mark Song, M.D.
- Health Talk - Dawn Rockwell, DMD
- Health Talk - db Orthopedic Physical Therapy
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health 2014 - Great Care, Close to Home
- AMI Honored As NJ BIZ Healthcare Hero
- Health Talk - Adnan F. Danish, M.D.
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Restaurant Guide - Osteria Cucina Rustica
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Shingle Sensation - Ray and Ali McCabe
- Living History On A Gentleman's Farm - The Griswolds
- Anthony and Lynn Marinello
- Newsletter Articles
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Bentley Edison Vehicle Storage Special
- RCDS Committee Expands Teacher Learning
- Our Picks
- Company Profile - Pizza Fusion
- Our Pick - APB Security Systems, Inc.
- Our Pick - Baymar Farms
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Gokul Makunda
- Alex Gilvarry - Award-Winning Novelist
- People On The Move - Taralynn Vecchio
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- The Bay
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Cabitron Kitchen and Bath
- The Guide 2014 - Fit for Life
- The Guide 2015 - Kim's Jewelers
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Ilkem Marble & Granite
- The Home Spotlight - Select Technology Group
- The Home Guide - Joey Ds
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. Genital warts dont cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. Its important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts, says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesnt always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™