- Around Town
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- CNHS - "It's A Wonder Life"
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Expert - Frank LaRocca
- AskThe Experts - Dance Attitudes
- AskThe Expert - Mike Moretti
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Grand Marquis
- The Guide 2014 - Downtown Tile
- The Guide 2015 - EXIT Realty East Coast - Gerine A. Skamarak
- Cover Story
- Mike Petke - New York Red Bulls Head Coach
- La Bella Vita!
- Retired Mets Pitcher John Franco
- Day Tripper: Crayola Factory
- Day Tripper - USMA at West Point
- Daytripper: Museum of Modern Art
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - Museums
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Monmouth Street Tile
- Best Bet - Montage Decor Inc.
- The Guide 2015 - Leather & Fur Ranch
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Lori S. Gormley, M.D.
- Health Talk - Dr. Clifford M. Sales
- Health Talk - Ayotunde Adeyeri, M.D.
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Physician Profile: Dr. Hiren Patel
- Health - Arch Brow
- Health 2015 - Anti-Aging
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Homes: Classically Inspired - A family’s heritage and traditions guide a dramatic interior
- Elegant Transformation - The Rinaldi's
- Easy Living On A Grand Scale - Alyson and Keith Arnott
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - Seaside Materials
- The Home Gallery - Distinctive Pools
- Spotlight - Caring Heart & Brain Imaging
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Moonlight Complements
- Company Profile - Atlantic Age Management
- Our Pick - Thompson Center for Plastic Surgery
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Mary Weir
- Valerie Niess - Raising Environmental And Political Awareness
- People On The Move - Matthew Craw
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- The Bay
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2013 - Michael Duru Clothiers
- The Guide 2014 - Pier Village
- The Guide 2014 - ACD Custom Granite
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Chelsea Kitchen and Bath
- The Home Guide - Troost Bros., Inc.
- The Home - ACD Custom Granite
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™