- Around Town
- Twin Brook Golf Center
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Malvern School Hosts Seventh Annual Lemonade Day
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Dearborn Market
- AskThe Expert - Frank LaRocca
- Ask The Expert - Rudolf C. Thompson, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Hot Tubs by HotSpring, LLC
- Best Bet - Troost Brothers, Inc
- Best Bet - Glo Bar Skin Art Studio
- Cover Story
- Talking Family and Football with NFL Network’s Melissa Stark
- Racing Royalty - Joe Bongiorno
- Nina Sophia Waga Mojares
- Day Tripper - Staten Island Ferry Adventure
- Day Tripper: Grounds For Sculpture
- Daytripper: Liberty Science Center
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - The Yevchaks
- Gift Guide
- Holiday Gift Guide - Glamour Shots®
- The Guide 2013 - Sunkissed Airbrush Tanning
- The Guide 2014 - Robert Defalco Realty
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - The Compounding Facility
- Health Talk - Dr. Anthony Lombardi
- Health Talk - Gym Spa
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - The Wellness Center Pharmacy & Surgical
- Health - All-County Dermatology
- Health - db Orthopedic Physical Therapy, PC
- Newsletter Articles
- Rich Ideas- Dos and Don’ts
- What Finishes a Room?
- The Home Gallery - Fuda Tile & Marble
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Reproductive Science Center of New Jersey
- Our Picks: Rockwell Dentistry
- Our Pick - Ganga Asian Bistro
- People On The Move
- People on the Move: Barry Mohr
- People On The Move: Kevin O’Malley
- People On The Move - Alexis Pollitto
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- The Bay
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- DISH - 2014 Monmouth County Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Lincroft Village Jewelers
- Our Pick - Nina Ferrer
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - casale TILE
- The Home Guide - Energy Aide
- The Home Guide - Ace Aluminum
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™