- Around Town
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Meridian Weightless
- Malvern School Hosts Seventh Annual Lemonade Day
- Ask The Experts
- Ask the Experts: Giulio Caruso, DC Total Care Chiropractic and Rehab, P.C.
- AskThe Expert - Pauline Poyner
- Ask The Expert - Joe Adelfio of Closettec NJ
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Glo Bar Skin Art Studio
- The Guide 2014 - The Curvy Bride
- Best Bet - Ryser’s Landcape Supply
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Day Tripper - Spa Castle
- Daytripper: AdventureAquarium
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide 2014 - Activities
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - José Serrano
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Giglio Builders
- Gift Guide - Nevada Exchange Trading Post Outlet
- Gift Guide - Brown’s Heating, Cooling & Plumbing
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Pop Weight Loss
- Health Talk - Marshall P. Allegra, M.D.
- Health Talk - IVF New Jersey
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Meridian Weightless
- Health - Marlboro Village Pharmacy
- Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - Red Bank FrameWorks
- The Home Gallery - Heritage Deck
- The Home - Viscon Builders Gallery
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Tom Martini
- People On The Move - Dennis Dayan
- People On The Move - Robert “Bobby” Taylor
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Dish - Summer Guide 2014
- The Bay
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Redhead Photography
- Company Profile - The Curvy Bride
- The Guide 2014 - Bentley Edison
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Landscaping by Mike Pantina
- The Home Guide - EncoreGarage of New Jersey
- The Home Guide - The White Sands Oceanfront Hotel & Spa
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™