- Around Town
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Malvern School Hosts Seventh Annual Lemonade Day
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert: Lillian Burry
- Ask The Expert - John Coscia of AJC Advisors
- Ask The Expert - Ann Hughes, M.D.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - We Got Lites
- The Guide 2014 - Vovo Clinic
- The Guide 2014 - Atlantis Centers, Inc.
- Day Tripper - American Museum of Natural History
- Day Tripper - Delaware Water Gap
- Day Tripper - The Amish Experience
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide - Art of Wine
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Capital Paint Centers
- The Guide 2014 - EXIT Realty East Coast
- The Guide 2014 - Ski Barn
- Health Talk
- Guest Blogger >> Sonya Moretti, WHNP-BC, NAMS
- Health Talk - Michael Ginsberg
- Health Talk - Anthony Sparano, M.D.
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - Ace Home Improvements
- Bill Britton-Director of Golf Instruction
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Jon Hornik
- Kids On The Move: Andrew Cerullo
- People on the Move: Dorothee Volpini de Maestri-Gerberding
- The Bay
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - femme by ashley
- The Guide 2014 - Federico’s Landscaping
- The Guide 2014 - Essential Elements Dance Studio
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Chelsea Kitchen and Bath
- The Home Guide - Ace Aluminum
- The Home Guide - T. Dorland Studio at Folio Art Glass
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™