- Around Town
- Meridian Weightless
- RUMC Receives AHA - AHS Gold Plus Achievement Award
- 12th Annual AMI Foundation Golf Classic
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Carolyn Welsh
- Ask The Experts - David Chewey
- Jim O’Neill - Event Sales Director
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Craft Master Builders Corp
- The Guide 2014 - Massage Envy Spa
- Best Bet - Home Theatre Connection Presents Party Flicks
- Daytripper: Central Park Zoo
- Day Tripper: Grounds For Sculpture
- Day Tripper - Whitesbog Village
- Eat Beat - Anna’s Italian Kitchen
- Eats: Mumford's Culinary Center
- The Monmouth EatBeat - Trinity Restaurant
- Etc - Aspirin...please.
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Fall Guide
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Fall Guide 2014 - Pick Your Patch
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - The Sport Spot
- Gift Guide - Vein Center for Women, P.C.
- Best Bet - IVF New Jersey
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Pietro Carpenito, M.D.
- Health Talk - Ayotunde Adeyeri, M.D.
- Health - Think Spring, Think Injury Avoidance
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Premier Pediatric Care
- Health Talk - Rockwell Dentistry
- Our Pick - Red Bank Radiologists
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- A Family Home by Design - The Trupiano's
- ROHALLION - The Mostafa Family
- Everything Old is New Again - A Monmouth Beach Classic Shore Colonial Reinvented
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - ACD Custom Granite
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- Our Pick - The Colts Neck Inn Ballroom
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Floor Coverings International
- Our Pick - Dr. Anthony Mancino
- Company Profile - Reliable Construction Services of New Jersey
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move - Matthew Welch
- People On The Move: Joe Hsia
- People On The Move - Peter Priolo
- Summer Guide
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- The Bay
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Jersey Shore Premium Outlets
- Company Profile - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- The Guide 2014 - Athena Learning Center
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Ryser's Landscape Supply
- The Home Guide - casale TILE
- The Home - AIR DOCTORS, INC.
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™