- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Avra Karak
- Ask the Expert - TJ Shaheen
- AskThe Experts - Virginia McDonald
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Dearborn Market
- The Guide 2015 - Jimmy's Fine Jewelry
- The Guide 2014 - Holmdel Orthodontics
- Cover Story
- Dr. Yvonne Thornton
- Dylan Bryan – Playing the Best Hand in the World
- Grand Dame of Holmdel - Adeline “Addy” Lubkert
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Cosmetic Medic
- The Guide 2014 - Atlantic Fencing Academy
- Best Bet - SI Cruise Club & My Going Places Travel
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Maria Nadelstumph - Brandywine Senior Living at Wall
- Health Talk - IVF New Jersey
- Health Talk - Mancini Giuffre Salon and Spa
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Inferno Training
- Health Talk - Michael J. Lacqua M.D.
- Health - Jersey Shore Hot Yoga Marlboro
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Family First Country Estate - McGee
- Designed for Living, A Couple that Decorates Together Stays Together
- An International Flair - Govil
- Newsletter Articles
- Why physicians and patients trust in Atlantic Medical Imaging
- The Home: Paradise Stone & Tile
- The Home - Closettec
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - The Boondocks Fishery
- Company Profile - Chamlin, Rosen, Uliano & Witherington, Attorneys at Law
- HWB 2014 - Vein Institute of New Jersey
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move - Michael and Ally Baratta,and Sally Carden
- People on the Move: Maureen Doloughty
- People On The Move: Lin Fong-O'Neill
- Summer Guide
- Dish - Summer Guide 2014
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Bay
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Richmond Tile and Bath
- The Guide 2014 - Above
- The Guide 2015 - Troost Brothers, Inc.
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Rainmaker Lawn Sprinklers
- The Home Guide - Joey D’s
- The Home - Ace Home Improvements
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™