- Around Town
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Renaissance Pilates Now Open
- Two River Theatre Annouces 20th Anniversary Season
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Alexandra Freer
- Jim O’Neill - Event Sales Director
- Ask The Expert - Mathnasium® of Marlboro
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Above
- The Guide 2014 - Vik's Fine Jewelry
- The Guide 2014 - Holmdel Orthodontics
- Cover Story
- Bob Ojeda - An Extra Inning
- Bridging the Myth - Michael Kamil
- Jeffrey Citron and David Burke
- Day Tripper - Mystic Seaport
- Day Tripper - American Museum of Natural History
- Day Tripper - USMA at West Point
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - José Serrano
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Pop Weight Loss
- Health Talk - IVF New Jersey
- Health Talk - Mark Song, M.D.
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Red Bank Radiologists
- Health - Cosmetics
- Health - Premier Pain Centers
- Easy Living On A Grand Scale - Alyson and Keith Arnott
- The Meeting Place - The Del Dottos
- Victorian Splendor
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home Gallery - Instone
- RUMC Receives AHA - AHS Gold Plus Achievement Award
- The Home: Cabitron - Design Trends
- Our Picks
- Company Profile - Tee Time Golf
- Our Pick - Garage Floor Coatings of Greater
- Our Pick - Freedom Boat Club
- People On The Move
- People on the Move: Dorothee Volpini de Maestri-Gerberding
- People On The Move - Karen Medlin
- People On The Move - Jennifer Jacobs
- The Bay
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Gary Michaels Fine Jewelry
- The Guide 2014 - Vino Divino School of Wine
- The Guide 2014 - Mancini Giuffré Salon & Spa
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Four Seasons® Sunrooms
- The Home Guide - Kitchen & Bath Station
- The Home Guide - casale TILE
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™