- Around Town
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- CPC BEHAVIORAL HEALTHCARE GRAND OPENING
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - db Orthopedic Physical Therapy, PC
- Ask The Expert - Staci J. Greenwald, Esq.
- Ask The Expert - Cabitron Kitchen and Bath, LLC.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - The Grove at Shrewsbury
- The Guide 2015 - Ray Catena Motor Cars
- The Guide 2015 - Northern Valley Affairs
- Cover Story
- Passion for Pop - Joe Petruccio
- Flying HIgh
- Captain David Harrison - Defending From The Jersey Shore
- Daytripper: Central Park Zoo
- Day Tripper - Insectropolis
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Annex
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - Taylor Franzreb
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Cabinet Factory NJ
- Gift Guide - Bacarella Interiors
- The Guide 2015 - The Lombardi Plastic Surgery Center
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Ayotunde Adeyeri, M.D.
- Health Talk - GENESIS Fertility and Reproductive Medicine
- Health Talk - Michael Ginsberg
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Mosaic Day Spa
- Health - East Coast Fitness Store
- Health - The Solace Day Spa & Salon
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - Landscaping by Mike Pantina
- The Home Q&A - Oasis Backyard Farms
- The Home - Affordable Garage Doors
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - LPA Strategic Capital
- Eat Beat - Sam Vera Restaurant
- United Teletech Financial Federal Credit Union
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Tali Axelrod
- People On The Move - Adam Lowy
- People On The Move: Tom Martini
- The Bay
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Eagle Oaks Golf & Country Club
- Company Profile - Brock Farms
- Our Pick - Prime Surgicare
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Oasis Backyard Farms
- The Home - Ryser’s Landscape Supply
- The Home Guide - Monmouth Beach Plantation
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™