- Around Town
- RUMC Receives AHA - AHS Gold Plus Achievement Award
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Malvern School Hosts Seventh Annual Lemonade Day
- Ask The Experts
- Jim O’Neill - Event Sales Director
- Ask The Expert - Harbor Lights Financial Group, Inc.
- Ask The Expert - Cabitron Kitchen and Bath, LLC.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Mr Paul's Custom Cabinetry
- Best Bet - Elite Dental of Staten Island
- The Guide 2014 - Above
- Day Tripper: Crayola Factory
- Day Tripper - Mountain Creek Resort
- Day Tripper - Balloon Flights
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - The Art of Wine
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Marc Ecko Cut and Sew
- Gift Guide - Lettuce for Life
- Gift Guide - Reliable Construction Services of New Jersey
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Abraham Biegeleisen, D.D.S, P.C.
- Health Talk - The Compounding Facility
- Health - Think Spring, Think Injury Avoidance
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Avanti Day Resort
- Health - Freehold Radiology Group
- HWB 2014 - Retina Consultants
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Two Sides To Every Story: Donnelly-Bowler
- The Urbanski Home
- A Place for Family - The Castelluccis
- Living in Colts Neck
- Gratitude in Guatemala
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Feels Like Home
- Newsletter Articles
- Eats: Mumford's Culinary Center
- The Home - Seaside Materials
- Renaissance Pilates Now Open
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - School Answers - Colts Neck Campus
- Health - Marlboro Village Pharmacy
- Company Profile - Dr. John Young Orthodontics & Invisalign
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Karen Medlin
- People On The Move - Dr. Paul Lenz
- People On The Move: Bethany McGovern
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- The Bay
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - 732-Express
- Company Profile:Gerine A. Skamarak-EXIT Realty East Coast
- The Guide 2014 - Gold Coast Cadillac
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Chelsea Kitchen and Bath
- The Home - Signature Kitchens of New York, Inc.
- The Home Guide - Red Bank Cabinet Company
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™