- Around Town
- Operation Provide Comfort
- Annual Monmouth Teen Arts Festival
- Firefly at the White Sands Opening Night
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Marshall P.Allegra, M.D.
- Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
- Ask The Expert - Avra Karak
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Merry Mutts
- The Guide 2014 - Robert Defalco Realty
- The Guide 2014 - Angelina’s Ristorante
- Day Tripper - Old Barracks Museum
- Daytripper: The Lakewood BlueClaws: Exciting Minor League Baseball at the Jersey Shore
- Daytripper: Hunter Mountain
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Delicious Orchards
- The Guide 2014 - George Wall Ford
- Gift Guide - Floor Coverings International
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Atlantic Eye Physicians
- Health Talk - David Lopez, M.D.
- Health Talk - Dawn Rockwell, DMD
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Brock Farms
- Health - Glenn Kolansky, M.D.
- Health - Mosaic Day Spa
- Behind The Red Door
- Redefining Rooms - The Abrams
- Following the Natural Progression - The Edelman Family
- Newsletter Articles
- Colts Neck Cares 1st Annual Benefit for Bella
- The Home: Energy Saving Tips - Airtight Insulation
- Judy Serhus - NJAR Circle of Excellence Gold Award Winner
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - BAYADA Home Health Care
- Our Pick - Monmouth County School of Rock
- Company Profile - CareOne
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Tom Martini
- People On The Move: Bob Leibner
- People On The Move: Glen J. Dalakian
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Dish - Summer Guide 2013
- The Bay
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Monmouth Street Tile
- The Guide 2013 - Undici
- The Guide 2014 - Manfredi Auto Group
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Rainmaker Lawn Sprinklers
- The Home Guide - Monmouth Beach Plantation
- The Home Guide - Energy Aide
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™