- Around Town
- Colts Neck Cares 1st Annual Benefit for Bella
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Staten Island Fun Facts
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Robert E.Wold, M.D.
- Ask The Experts - Premier Pain Centers - Peter S. Staats
- Ask The Expert - Greg Nipoti
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Alycia's Bistro
- The Guide 2014 - Gold Coast Cadillac
- Best Bet - Leather & Fur Ranch
- The Monmouth EatBeat - Trinity Restaurant
- Monmouth Eat Beat - Ama Ristorante
- Eats: Addison Park
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Etc - School Daze
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Fall Guide 2014 - Activities
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Chelsea Kitchen & Bath Design Studio
- Best Bet - Troost Brothers, Inc
- Gift Guide - le club
- Health Talk
- Health Blog - Glo Bar Skin Art Studio
- Health Talk - Abraham Biegeleisen, D.D.S, P.C.
- Health Talk - Asaad H. Samra, MD, FACS - Samra Plastic Surgery
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Caring Dental
- Health - Body N Balance Massage Therapy
- Health - Maximum Performance Fitness
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Best Bet - David Burke’s Fromagerie
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Tropical Style - Alan Perl
- The Coriolans - An Eclectic Estate
- Living History On A Gentleman's Farm - The Griswolds
- Newsletter Articles
- The Community YMCA Announces New Board Leadership
- The Home - Visual Impact Decorating Gallery
- The Home Gallery - Fuda Tile & Marble
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - BAYADA Home Health Care
- Company Profile - EuropeanWax Center
- Our Pick - triSpace Interiors
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Jeanne Patterson
- People On The Move: Keith Stephens Buff
- People On The Move - Seth Tropper
- Summer Guide
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- The Bay
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Guide
- The Guide 2013 - Mark Joseph's
- The Guide 2014 - Crown Elegance Bridal
- The Guide 2015 - Glo Bar Skin Art Studio
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Decorating Den Interiors
- The Home Guide - triSpace interiors
- The Home Guide - A and J Remodeling Services
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™