- Around Town
- Renaissance Pilates Now Open
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts: John M. Taylor
- Ask The Experts - Wegmans
- AskThe Experts - Lawrence Durso
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - ForeverLawn at the Shore
- Best Bet - Carlo's Bakery
- The Guide 2014 - Coastal Plumbing Supply Co.
- Cover Story
- Arts & Scientist - Ilya Raskin, Ph.D.
- Twelve - The Hayes Family
- Paul Parmar: A man of the world
- Daytripper: Museum of Modern Art
- Day Tripper - Central Park
- DayTripper: New Hope, Pennsylvania
- Fall Guide
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Fall Guide - Museums
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Essential Elements Dance Studio
- Gift Guide - Golf Greens “Fore” U
- The Guide 2014 - Red Bank Veterinary Hospital
- Health Talk
- Physician Profile: Dr. Hiren Patel
- Health Talk - Dr. Patrick Cuozzo
- Health Talk - Michael J. Lacqua M.D.
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Absolute Vein Care
- Health - Dr. Anthony Mancino
- Health Talk - Mark Song, M.D.
- New Kids In Town - The Daszkowskis
- Riverside Living
- Serpentine Splendor - Miriam and Ahron Jundef
- Newsletter Articles
- Health - Trinity Rehab
- The Home - Select Technology Group
- The Home - Rosen Decorators
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Sofra Turkish Cuisine
- Company Profile - All-County Dermatology
- Our Pick - Couture Exchange
- People On The Move
- Colts Neck Member Of Jack & Jill Monmouth County Chapter
- People On The Move - Jarrett Engel
- People On The Move - Mary Connell Gaynor
- Summer Guide
- Dish - Summer Guide 2014
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Guide
- The Guide 2013 - INDULGE Lounge & Food Bar
- The Guide 2014 - Pelican Shops
- The Guide 2014 - Royal Dinettes
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Ace Home Improvements
- The Home Guide - Total Sound Entertainment
- The Home Guide - Joey D’s
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™