- Around Town
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Annual Monmouth Teen Arts Festival
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Rockwell Dentistry
- Ask The Expert - Beth Thomas-Edwards
- Ask the Experts: DicksteinAssociatesAgency, LLC
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Connie Profaci Realty
- Best Bet - Rejuvenate Center for Medical Aesthetics
- The Guide 2014 - Marshall P. Allegra, M.D.
- DayTripper: New Hope, Pennsylvania
- Day Tripper - Staten Island Ferry Adventure
- Daytripper:The New York Aquarium
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Featured Artist - José Serrano
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Brazen Bras Boutique
- Gift Guide - Vaccaro Brothers Flooring & Kitchens
- The Guide 2014 - Tom Rostron Co. Inc.
- Health Talk
- Dr. Peggy Avagliano Honored
- Health Talk - Dawn Rockwell, DMD
- Health Talk - Atlantic Eye Physicians
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Studio 455 Hair Salon
- Health - The Wellness Center Pharmacy & Surgical
- Health - haircolorxperts
- Newsletter Articles
- Spotlight - Kitchens by Torrone
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Begins New Construction
- The Home - EcoSystems Fence Co
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Ray Catena of Edison
- Our Pick - EncoreGarage of New Jersey
- Our Pick - Colonial Nursery
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Dennis Dayan
- People On The Move: Bruce Baron
- Pam Wood - Advocate For Special Needs Children And Their Parents
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- The Bay
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Guide
- The Guide 2013 - DoubleTake Luxury Consignment Boutique
- The Guide 2014 - The Pine Tavern
- Company Profile -Marlboro Village Pharmacy
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Ace Home Improvements
- The Home Guide - Rodman’s Building Inc.
- The Home Guide - Red Bank FrameWorks
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™