- Around Town
- Renaissance Pilates Now Open
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Annual Monmouth Teen Arts Festival
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Experts - Virginia McDonald
- Ask the Experts: Giulio Caruso, DC Total Care Chiropractic and Rehab, P.C.
- Ask The Expert - Alexandra Freer
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Elite Dental of Staten Island
- The Guide 2014 - Gary Michaels Fine Jewelry
- The Guide 2014 - Nina Ferrer Design
- Cover Story
- In Good Company - Walt Hameline
- Joe Leone Introna
- Dylan Bryan – Playing the Best Hand in the World
- Day Tripper - The Amish Experience
- Day Tripper - Old Barracks Museum
- Day Tripper - Bushkill Falls
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Grace Your Space
- Featured Artist - Taylor Franzreb
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Illusion Steakhouse
- Gift Guide - Land Rover Monmouth
- Gift Guide - Solace Day Spa
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Gym Spa
- Health Talk - Pietro Carpenito, M.D.
- Health Talk - Dawn Rockwell, DMD
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Soul Focus
- Health Talk - Michael J. Lacqua M.D.
- Health - Absolute Vein Care
- Newsletter Articles
- Eagle Oaks Country Club Hosts Honor Day
- The Home - Red Bank FrameWorks
- What Finishes a Room?
- Our Picks
- Our Picks: Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Our Pick - Redhead Photography
- Our Pick: Monmouth Beach Plantation Shutters
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Cara Smith
- People On The Move - Holli Eng
- Kids On The Move - Matthew Welch
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- The Bay
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Red Bank Veterinary Hospital
- The Guide 2014 - Athena Learning Center
- The Guide 2014 - Colts Neck Inn
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Richmond Tile & Bath
- The Home - Giglio Builders
- The Home Guide - ForeverLawn at the Shore
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™