- Around Town
- Two River Theatre Annouces 20th Anniversary Season
- Colts Neck Cares 1st Annual Benefit for Bella
- Summer Fun - Summer 2013
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts - Premier Pain Centers - Peter S. Staats
- Ask The Expert - Alexandra Freer
- Ask The Expert - Avra Karak
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Brock Farms
- The Guide 2014 - InHaus Kitchen & Bath Remodeling
- The Guide 2014 - Trek Bicycle Store of Middletown
- Daytripper: Hunter Mountain
- Day Tripper - Balloon Flights
- DayTripper: Laurita Vineyards & Winery
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide - Museums
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Holmdel Orthodontics
- The Guide 2014 - The Grove
- Gift Guide - Valina Salon & Day Spa
- Health Talk
- Our Pick - Dr. Young Orthodontic & Cosmetic Services
- Health Talk - db Orthopedic Physical Therapy
- Health Talk - Mark Song, M.D.
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Soul Focus
- Health - Allure Plastic Surgery Center
- Health - Restorative Health Alliance
- Living in Colts Neck
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- All The Pretty Horses
- La Bella Vita!
- Newsletter Articles
- Eagle Oaks Country Club Hosts Honor Day
- Luxurious, Lavish, and Livable
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Edge Sports Academy & Health Club
- Our Pick - Country Clean Paper Supplies
- Our Pick - Game Truck
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Bill McDonald
- People On The Move - Dr. Gerardo Goldberger
- Helping Our Youth Through The Hardest Times
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Dish - Summer Guide 2013
- Summer Fun - Summer 2013
- The Bay
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Jersey Shore Premium Outlets
- Company Profile - Brock Farms
- The Guide 2013 - Undici
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Garage Floor Coatings of Greater NJ
- The Home - Rainmaker Lawn Sprinklers
- The Home Guide - AW Eurostile
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™