- Around Town
- 5th Annual Cardboard Box City Raises More Than $14,000
- Voyagers' Community School - Open House
- Operation Provide Comfort
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - John Coscia of AJC Advisors
- Ask The Expert - Dearborn Market: Frank Luccarelli
- AskThe Expert - Frank LaRocca
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Richmond Tile and Bath
- Best Bet - Ember Fireplaces
- The Guide 2014 - Staten Island Mall
- Cover Story
- Elizabeth Masucci
- Perfectly Pitched For Success - Charlie Puth
- The Q Factor - Quincy Mumford
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Fall Guide 2014 - Activities
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Featured Artist - Taylor Franzreb
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Beach Music Studios
- The Guide 2014 - Two River Theater Company
- The Guide 2014 - Casale Jewelers
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Maria Nadelstumph - Brandywine Senior Living at Wall
- Health Talk - Abraham Biegeleisen, D.D.S, P.C.
- Health Talk - Ragui Sadek MD FACS
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Caroline Glicksman, MD
- Health - Fitness
- Health - Freehold Radiology Group
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - H2o Bath & Kitchen Elegance Gallery
- Spotlight - Kitchens by Torrone
- The Home - Cabitron
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Kim Folio-Dorland
- People On The Move - Kevin LeMastra
- People On The Move - Sean Davis
- Summer Guide
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- The Bay
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Guide
- Company Profile - Atlantic Age Management
- The Guide 2014 - The Malvern School
- Company Profile - Dr. Anthony Mancino
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Four Seasons® Sunrooms
- The Home Guide - ForeverLawn at the Shore
- The Home - Rainmaker Lawn Sprinklers
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™