- Around Town
- 2012 Meridian Health Foundation Gala Success
- Two River Theatre Annouces 20th Anniversary Season
- Summer Fun - Summer 2013
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Expert - Stacy Lynn Costa MA, Ed.S.
- AskThe Expert - Pauline Poyner
- Ask The Expert - Cabitron Kitchen and Bath, LLC.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Buyers Guide 2011-2012
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Hubbard Park Real Estate
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Cabitron Kitchen and Bath
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Fred Astaire Dance Studio
- Cover Story
- John Muller
- Novel Ideas - Robin Friedman: Author, Journalist, and Jersey Girl
- A Quest for the Unknown
- Day Tripper - Peddlers Village
- Day Tripper: Crayola Factory
- DayTripper: Historical Village at Allaire
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - José Serrano
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Monster Mini Golf
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Miller Buick GMC
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - The Prince & The Pawper
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Beth M. Deutch MD
- Health Talk - Michael R. D’Agnes, FACHE
- Why physicians and patients trust in Atlantic Medical Imaging
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Mosaic Day Spa
- Health - Soul Focus
- Health - The Wellness Center Pharmacy & Surgical
- Living in Colts Neck
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Montrose Schoolhouse
- Impeccable Style
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home Gallery - Distinctive Pools
- Luxurious, Lavish, and Livable
- The Home Gallery - Monmouth St. Tile
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Thompson Center for Plastic Surgery
- Our Pick - Ray Catena of Edison
- Our Pick - Colts Neck Bagels
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move - Sarah Guenzburger
- People On The Move - Robert “Bobby” Taylor
- Kids On The Move - Ray Wang
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- The Guide
- Gift Guide - Cozmo's Heir Color & Design Studio
- The Guide 2013 - Cortez Cigars
- Dish - The Guide 2013
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Brock Farms
- The Home - Rainmaker Lawn Sprinklers
- The Home Guide - Richmond Tile & Bath
Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts are a common type of sexually transmitted infection (STD). At least half of all sexually active people will become infected with the virus that causes genital warts.
Genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area and look like small, flesh-colored bumps or have a cauliflower- like appearance. In women, genital warts can grow on the vulva, the vaginal walls, the area between the external genitals and the anus, and the cervix. In men, they may occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, or the anus. Genital warts can also develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sexual contact with an infected person. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.
When to See a Doctor “Symptoms may include itching, burning and pain as well as cause emotional distress, “says OB/GYN Eumena Divino, M.D., FACOG. “Genital warts don’t cause sterility or require you to abstain from sex, as some people fear. However, anyone who thinks they may have genital warts should see a physician.”
Genital warts can be detected by a Pap test, which examines cells microscopically for abnormalities. It’s important for women to have regular pelvic exams and Pap test, which help detect vaginal and cervical changes as well as the early signs of cervical cancer. An HPV test can also identify cancer-causing HPV strains.
Treatment may include medication and sometimes surgery. Dr. Divino cautions people not to use over-the-counter wart removers, which are not intended for genital warts and can cause even more pain and irritation. Using a condom every time you have sex can also reduce your risk of contracting genital warts.
“Mothers should also speak with their OB/GYNs about vaccinating their daughters with Gardasil, which protects against the strains of HPV that cause most genital warts,” says Dr. Divino.
Complications from genital warts may include:Cancer
Cervical cancer has been closely linked with genital HPV infection although HPV doesn’t always lead to cancer.
Problems During Pregnancy
Genital warts may cause complications during pregnancy, delivery and rarely, warts may develop in the throat of the baby, causing an airway obstruction which may require surgery.
Powered by eDirectory™