- Around Town
- Renaissance Pilates Now Open
- Twin Brook Golf Center
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert: Lillian Burry
- AskThe Experts - Ranney School
- Cynthia Salter-Lewis, MD, ReNew Med-Spa and Cosmetic Laser Center
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Green Life Designs
- The Guide 2014 - Mancini Giuffré Salon & Spa
- The Guide 2014 - Grand Design Doors
- Cover Story
- Paul Pilcz - Marlboro's Gleek
- A Hidden Beauty - The Greenbergs
- Going Solo - Cathy Mumford
- Daytripper: Franklin Institute
- Day Tripper - Balloon Flights
- Daytripper: Liberty Science Center
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Ray Catena Auto Group
- Gift Guide - L.A. Dance Center of the Arts
- Tiles Unlimited - Gift Guide
- Health Talk
- Our Pick - Dr. Young Orthodontic & Cosmetic Services
- Health Talk - Lori S. Gormley, M.D.
- Health Talk - Gym Spa
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - AMG Family Dentistry
- Health 2014 - ah Spa!
- Health - Premier Pediatric Care
- Newsletter Articles
- What Finishes a Room?
- Our Pick - Jeunesse Medical Spa
- Lynn's Speech Therapy Center
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Fuggetta Pools - Fuggetta Contracting Corp.
- Our Pick - Trinity Hall
- Health - Restorative Health Alliance
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Tom Martini
- People On The Move - Reverend Monsignor Eugene M. Rebeck
- People On The Move - Julie Richards
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- The Bay
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Redhead Photography
- The Guide 2013 - Sea Spa & Salon
- The Guide 2014 - L Furs
Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
“Post-menopause is defined as one full year of absent menstruation,” says OB/GYN Steven R. Berkman, M.D., FACOG, FACS. In the United States, 48 is the average age of post-menopause for women, although this can fluctuate.
“As women transition from the reproductive years to the non-reproductive years, I tell my patients that they should look ahead for all the good that is to come,” says Dr. Berkman. “There are good things to come in the beginning of the next phase of life.”Dr. Berkman urges women to step up their health care checks and screenings. “This is a very important time to look at your overall health,” says Dr. Berkman. Post menopausal women should get regular checks for cardiovascular disease, breast cancer, colorectal cancer, and osteoporosis.
“Heart attack continues to be the Number One killer of women,” warns Dr. Berkman. “Symptoms of a heart attack also manifest differently in women than in men, and women should become aware of the symptoms of heart attack and stroke as well as adopt a healthy lifestyle that reduces their risk.”
Emotional issues such as depression can also take their toll on a post-menopausal woman, causing serious disturbances,” says Dr. Berkman. Dr. Berkman evaluates patients for signs of elder abuse and makes appropriate referrals. “I prefer the term “’transition’ over ‘aging’ “ says Dr. Berkman. “I ask patients to remember how they felt when they were on the verge of becoming women. It was a very exciting time. The same is true for post-menopausal women who are entering the next phase, or transition, of life.”
A post-menopausal women’s sexual health is also a topic that Dr. Berkman addresses with his patients. “Postmenopausal women should certainly still be sexually active, if they so desire. There may be physical and emotional issues that are inhibiting their sexual life and that is a topic to discuss with your doctor,” says Dr. Berkman. “ I am in favor of sex. It is a terrific emotional release, it’s great cardiovascular exercise, and post-menopause is a time when women don’t have to worry about pregnancy and other complications.”
Powered by eDirectory™