- Around Town
- Holiday Buzz - Sights & Sounds of the Season
- Holiday Buzz: Get Out of Town - NYC & PHL
- Two River Theatre Annouces 20th Anniversary Season
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Wine Academy Superstores
- AskThe Experts - Virginia McDonald
- Ask The Experts - David Chewey
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Buyers Guide 2011-2012
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Ricky’s Candy, Cones & Chaos
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - A Perfect Gift by Marilyn
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Balbabyan Galleries
- Cover Story
- Coming Full Circle - Michael Pomarico goes back to where it all started and gives back
- Felipe Rose: Village People's Macho Man
- Tor Miller Band
- Day Tripper - Balloon Flights
- DayTripper: NJ Vietnam Veteran's Memorial
- Daytripper:The New York Aquarium
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Featured Artist - José Serrano
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2013 - Delicious Orchards
- Gift Guide - Bell Audi
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Vincent Camarda
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Anthony Sparano, M.D.
- AMI Women’s Imaging Center in Brick Township
- Health Talk - Pop Weight Loss
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Dermatology Associates of Central New Jersey
- Health - ENERGY BALANCE
- AMI Women’s Imaging Center in Brick Township
- Living History On A Gentleman's Farm - The Griswolds
- A Family Home by Design - The Trupiano's
- Valerie Schwab - Home Sweet Home
- Newsletter Articles
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Begins New Construction
- The Home: Pride Home Improvements
- Letting In The Light
- Our Picks
- Ideal Tile of Ocean
- Company Profile - Batteries Plus
- Our Pick: Nevada Exchange Trading Post Outlet
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Jarrett Engel
- Kids On The Move - Ray Wang
- People On The Move: Mark Malek
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- The Bay
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Guide
- The Guide 2013 - Hazlet Pharmacy
- Gift Guide - Cozmo's Heir Color & Design Studio
- The Guide 2013 - Michael Duru Clothiers
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Pietra Bella
- The Home - Landscaping by Mike Pantina
- The Home - JGS Insurance
Colonial Comfy Cozy
04/26/2010 - By Michael Berman
Photography by: AK Photo / Al Kruper
Childhood friends create a “yummy” whole house renovation in Marlboro
Stacy Berns knows how to relate to people. She started her own public relations company with offices on Madison Avenue in New York City in 2002, specializing in representing high level executives in the fashion industry. She then moved back to Marlboro, her hometown, and purchased a beautiful corner lot colonial built in 1969 that needed a little curbside appeal, public relations work of its own, by way of a major renovation. The ¾ acre corner lot offered room for her two daughters Carly and Nicole to play and the surprisingly open floor plan of the somewhat dated two story colonial had a lot of potential.
Stacy knew just the person to help her transform the slightly frog-like house into the handsome, sunlit, welcoming prince of a home that she wanted for her children and herself. Stacy had known Dawn Palmieri since they were both five years old. Dawn, owner of Dawn Palmieri Designs of Marlboro, felt she could help Stacy transform her home into just the kind of getaway that Stacy and her daughters would love to come home to – without any risk to their decades old friendship!
The end result is a soup to nuts renovation that reflects the warm, vivacious, family oriented personality of the home’s owner and the elegant approach to a full house renovation of a talented designer that Stacy continues to call friend.
A view through the looking glass reveals a re-imagined world for the Berns family to enjoy. The mirrored wall is almost all that remains from the original home’s décor. Dawn guided Stacy to choose elegant yet inviting furnishings that reflect the family’s feminine side without being too flowery. Stacy trusted Dawn to channel her own style and taste preferences when making furniture and accessory suggestions and choices. Painted furniture and distressed wood flooring give the design approach a country, cozy, yet chic appeal. The newly installed oak handrail with iron spindles along with the stair runner adds a lot of visual interest.
The powder room downstairs and the kitchen of the Berns home have been dramatically transformed from their original state. Stacy loves to entertain - and her parents still live in Marlboro and her two sisters live in Freehold, both with three children each. Stacy says the cousins are very close and there is always some holiday or sleep over in the works, so the house is always alive with the sounds of family and friends.
The Berns home features many different faux finishing techniques that add color and texture to the entire house. The custom paint was provided by Tammi’s Interiors of Red Bank. The kitchen renovation as well as the entire home renovation was choreographed by contractor Steve Rubin of Marlboro. The kitchen features Wood-Mode cabinetry, porcelain tile floors and a full line of Viking professional appliances. The rounded solid surface counters offer a place to gather and pull up a stool to enjoy a morning cup of coffee or bowl of cereal.
The formal, yet informal living room includes an arch top fireplace, comfy sectional and a mixture of new accent pieces and family antiques creating a most welcoming and livable environment. Stacy enjoys reading and there are a number of corner niches and private places throughout the Berns home to curl up and enjoy the latest best sellers.
The Berns upstairs living area can be described as a haven and private getaway space. The girls’ rooms reflect their own personalities and Stacy’s master suite is just what the doctor ordered as a place to unwind after a hectic Madison Avenue day comes to an end.
Carly’s room reflects a flair for the dramatic with a deep red paint finish and hanging chandelier. She is a com mitted dancer and has framed performance photos decorating her walls. Nicole’s room is pretty in pink with gold accents and wall treatments that are just what the princess ordered.
Stacy’s master bedroom has undergone a transformation of majestic proportions over the four to five year renovation of the family’s home. The enlarged master bath features an oversized walk-in shower and an elegant double sink vanity painted with gold accent. A much needed large walk-in closet was created out of the bedroom space and the plush carved bed, regal paint design and hardwood flooring make this a room well worth coming home to.
Powered by eDirectory™