- Around Town
- 5th Annual Cardboard Box City Raises More Than $14,000
- Colts Neck Cares 1st Annual Benefit for Bella
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Mathnasium® of Marlboro
- Ask The Expert - Total Vein and Rejuvenation Center
- Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - NY Chiropractic & Physical Therapy
- The Guide 2014 - Signature Design Group
- Best Bet - Colts Neck Racquet Club
- Cover Story
- From Saigon to Success - Dr. Khanh Nguyen lives the “American Dream” in Colts Neck
- Model Citizen
- Scores Big In His Field - Rich Russo
- Day Tripper - New York City for the Holidays
- Day Tripper - The Appalachian Trail
- Day Tripper - Atlantic City
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Fall Guide - Museums
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Contemporary Motor Cars
- The Guide 2014 - Nina Ferrer Design
- The Guide 2015 - Sussan, Greenwald & Wesler
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Dr. John Young
- Health Talk - Abraham Biegeleisen, D.D.S, P.C.
- Health Talk - Dawn Rockwell, DMD
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health 2014 - LIVING Pain-Free
- Health - All-County Dermatology
- Health - Red Bank Radiologists
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Best Bet - David Burke’s Fromagerie
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Homes: Classically Inspired - A family’s heritage and traditions guide a dramatic interior
- That's Entertainment - The Pathakars'
- Living History On A Gentleman's Farm - The Griswolds
- Newsletter Articles
- VNA Health Group Holiday Dinner Dance
- The Home - JGS Insurance
- The Home - Penterman Kitchens
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Tony Sloan
- People On The Move - Anjelica Chickara
- Kids On The Move: Danielle D’Elia
- The Bay
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Shrewsbury Wine and Liquors
- The Guide 2013 - Merri-Makers Catering
- The Guide 2015 - The Hart Investment Group
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Visit Brock Farms
- The Home Guide - Pietra Bella
- The Home Guide - Ron Youmans, Jr.
Daytripper: Hunter Mountain
11/30/2010 - By by Teja Anderson
This is a destination for couples, families, groups of friends, and singles...
As the Catskills’ premier winter destination, Hunter Mountain celebrates renowned terrain, award-winning facilities, and luxury mountainside accommodations. Together, this brings a smile to any snow lover’s face!
Hunter has been owned for 50 years by the Slutzky family, who first built the mountain’s trails and then purchased it. Hunter’s owner and head of the family, Orville Slutzky, has spent the last 50 years mastering snowmaking and enhancing the conditions of the Catskill winters to the benefit and enjoyment of skiers and snowboarders alike.
This is a destination for couples, families, groups of friends, and singles looking to meet others interested in the thrill of snow sports. Whether you grew up skiing and want to pass the tradition on to your children, or if the whole family is new to it all, Hunter Mountain can accommodate you with instruction for all ages and levels of skiing expertise.
Ah, to be a kid again, with minimal fears and no pesky, ingrained habits, and a never-ending ambition to learn to turn! Better yet, what could be more fun than learning new skills while making new friends? Hunter’s Learning Center specially caters to kids of all ages – from tykes to teens, from beginners to aspiring Olympians! Recognized nationally as a leading resort for snow sports development, Hunter knows how to make learning exciting, delivering custom instruction that enables a quick and satisfying growth of skill! Among the services they offer for kids are: PlayCare, their indoor service for toddlers and children ages 6 months to 6 years; Explorers and Mountaineers, for children ages 4–12, perfect for the young skiers and snowboarders; and seasonal programs and competition teams – a great way for older kids to stay involved in skiing and riding. If you are having a little trouble getting your youngster motivated toward athletics or the cold weather, then Snowmonsters is a website that focuses on snow sports for kids. It features on-line games, videos, and other fun activities.
Since the beginning, Hunter Mountain has been on the cutting edge of the winter recreation industry. Known as the “snowmaking capital of the world” it was the first winter resort to have 100% snowmaking and was also the first resort in the region to open a sushi bar in its base lodge. Hunter continues to reflect its diverse clientele by offering a wide variety of foods and beverages, as well as entertainment, throughout its many eateries and lounges. On-the-go skiers and snowboarders can grab a hot brisket sandwich on fresh rye at Jerry’s Deli, operated by 87-yearold Jerry Peskowitz; Hunter’s longest-term employee outside of the Slutzky family is an icon to the regulars. Other choices to satisfy your appetite include Santini’s Pizza, for pies that rival any New York City favorite spot, or a Japanese experience, where sushi chefs roll the finest and freshest seafood. Guests looking for the best in eclectic dining can head to the Plaza Café at the Copper Tree Restaurant on the western edge of the base lodge for gourmet soups and salads, bistro sandwiches, or a mix of Pan-Asian and Mediterranean specialties. You can also ski into Van Winkle’s, at the Kaatskill Mountain Club, for hearty pub fare and an extensive wine and beer menu. You may also want to seek out some entertainment, in which case you may encounter a jazz band playing in the lounge, or maybe even some disco or line dancing!
Staying for more than a day? Discover Hunter’s impressive array of mountainside amenities, including lodging at the Liftside Condominiums and the new Four Seasons Kaatskill Mountain Club. There are a dozen unique mountain eateries speckled throughout the resort, two full-service retail stores, and plenty of programs for adults, children, and families. They offer slope-side accommodations, complete with a fitness center, health spa, outdoor heated pool, restaurant, lounge, valet parking, conference, and banquet facilities. For more information call (518) 263-5580.
Other places to stay in and around Hunter Mountain, include the Brookside Bed & Breakfast [(518) 589-6049], a restored 1890 Victorian house with four charming guest rooms that each feature a master suite with private bath and sun deck. In addition, the Broverman’s End On Stream Cottages & Cabins at West End Hunter Village [(518) 263-4737], are 1 mile from the mountain, and has bedroom cottages and suites with kitchens (some with hot tubs). The Fairlawn Inn [(518) 263-5025] is a restored historic inn featuring romantic guest rooms with private baths. The inn sits on 12 acres and has spectacular views, a full breakfast menu, a formal dining room, and a bar. The Forester Motor Lodge [(518) 263- 4555] is open year-round and is nestled in the Catskill Mountains with breathtaking views. Enjoy private balconies and spacious rooms. Also walking distance to Hunter Ski Lodge, The Hunter Inn [(518) 263-3777] offers a variety of beautiful accommodations, from hotel-style to luxurious suites. Most rooms have relaxing hot tubs, as well as balconies with spectacular mountain views. The Mountain View Lodge [(518) 263- 4422] is a clean, comfortable, newly renovated 11-unit country motel with cable TV, phones, air conditioning, and a continental breakfast and after-ski beverages with snacks, and is located close to Hunter Mountain. The Washington Irving Inn, circa 1890, [(518) 589-5560], is a good choice for the sophisticated traveler, and is nestled within the 705, 500-acre Catskill State Park with spectacular views, full breakfast, and afternoon tea, as well as classy comfort offered in 15 country rooms. Amenities include splendid mountain views, authentic period pieces and antiques, and free wireless connection; all this won them the 2007 New York State Hospitality and Tourism Association’s Stars of the Industry “Bed & Breakfast of Distinction Award.”
There are also several other wonderful options in nearby Tannersville, such as The Snowed Inn, The Mountain Brook Lodge and Restaurant, The Golden Leaf Inn, and the Eggery Inn, and this area is also packed with culinary choices like Black Diamonds Grill for a juicy steak, Chateau Belleview for delicious French Country, or Pancho Villa’s for great Mexican food and yummy margaritas! If you need a tasty breakfast spot, you might want to try Maggie’s Krooked Café or the Village Market in Tannersville.
To find out more, visit their website (www.HunterMtn.com) and check out the live webcams, updated every 30 seconds year round. At Hunter Mountain, they are dedicated to fun, excitement, and creating mountain memories, so plan your trip now!
Hunter, NY 12442
Hunter Mountain is open every day of the snow sports’ season from 8:30 am to 4 pm.
Hunter Mountain is located just over 2 hours north of New York City, in the northern Catskill Mountain region of New York State. Whether you are traveling from the north or the south, Hunter is a convenient half-hour ride from New York State Thruway Exit 20.
From Western and Central New Jersey:
Take Interstate 287 North to the New York Thruway North to Exit 20 (Saugerties). Take Route 32 North to Route 32A North to Route 23A West.
From Northeastern New Jersey:
Take Route 17 North to the New York Thruway North to Exit 20. Follow the directions above.
From Southern New Jersey
(about 41⁄2 hours from Atlantic City): Take the Garden State Parkway North to Route 17 North in Paramus. Continue north to the New York Thruway North to Exit 20. Follow the directions above.
Photo GalleryClick here for Slideshow. You can also click on any of the photos to start slideshow.
Powered by eDirectory™