- Around Town
- Staten Island Fun Facts
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Annual Monmouth Teen Arts Festival
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts: Dr. John M. Young
- Ask The Expert - Dr. William Ziegler
- AskThe Expert - Pauline Poyner
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Red White & Blue Contracting
- Best Bet - Ryser’s Landcape Supply
- The Guide 2014 - Zio Toto Italian Restaurant
- Cover Story
- Pete Harnisch - Bringing It Home
- Fly Like An Eagle - Howie Roseman
- Acing It All - Michael Lippens
- Day Tripper - Balloon Flights
- Day Tripper - Lakota Wolf Preserve
- Day Tripper - The Appalachian Trail
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - Aspirin...please.
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Fall Guide 2014 - Pick Your Patch
- Fall Guide 2014 - The Art of Wine
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Featured Artist - Grace Your Space
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - AnA Custom Closets
- Best Bet - Design Line Kitchens
- The Guide 2014 - Moonlight Complements
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Dr. John Young
- Why physicians and patients trust in Atlantic Medical Imaging
- Health Talk - Hiren Patel, M.D., DABR
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Allure Plastic Surgery Center
- Health 2014 - Taking your Workout Outside
- Health - Hospitals
- Newsletter Articles
- Our Pick - Sal ScialloState Farm
- The Home - Creating A Home Office
- The Home - H2o Bath & Kitchen Elegance - The Spa Experience
- Our Picks
- Buy Rite Wine & Liquor at the Marketplace
- Our Pick - Hot Tubs by HotSpring
- Company Profile - Steven A. Morgan, M.D.,F.A.C.O.G.
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Mitchell Remig
- Making a Difference - Cory Bolotsky
- People On The Move - Kendall Valentin
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- The Bay
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Nina Ferrer Design
- The Guide 2014 - 732-Express
- The Guide 2014 - Coastal Plumbing Supply Co.
- The Home Guide
- The Home Spotlight - Select Technology Group
- The Home Guide - Joey D’s
- The Home Guide - Four Seasons® Sunrooms
Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
08/30/2011 - By A.J. Perna
Leah Passafiume - Self Portraits and Fortune Cookies
While preparing for the portfolio review portion of the application and interview process for acceptance into the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, recent Wall Township High School graduate and National Arts Honor Society Member Leah Passafiume was leaving nothing to chance. While other applicants pick and choose some of their favorite pieces, Leah stacked the deck in her favor and presented every single project that she had completed throughout her high school art career, and then some. That turned out to be the right move. Leah’s entire portfolio spans multiple mediums and genres, but one thing is evident in each and every piece: Talent.
Throughout high school, Leah had received numerous awards and accolades for her artistic talents, but during her senior year, one piece garnered her some serious attention. Every year, Brookdale College hosts a Teen Arts Show, featuring the best and brightest at the Jersey Shore, naming just a handful of entries as “Best in Show”. This past year, the TeenArts Competition chose John Lennon’s “Imagine” as the central theme. Leah’s lone entry was an interactive sculpture, titled “Imagine Tree”. Her sculpture started with Leah making a life-size tape casting of herself that she then plastered over. From there, she expanded and morphed her self-casting into the trunk and branches of a tree. The leaves were fashioned from 200 tags, with “I imagine…” hand written on each one. One hundred of these tags were completed by Leah and a pen was left near the sculpture to allow visitors to the Teen Arts Show to finish the other one hundred tags with things that they imagine.
Leah has always had a passion for art and cannot imagine doing anything else with her life. Starting this fall, Leah will be attending her dream school on a scholarship. She is enormously excited to learn all she can at the University of the Arts and to immerse herself completely into the Philadelphia art scene and community. But, it’s not just a future full of fine art and gallery showings that Leah envisions for herself. In addition to expressing herself and beautifying the world, her art studies will have another purpose and goal. After four years at the University of the Arts, Leah plans to move on to graduate school and earn a doctorate in art therapy.
Perusing Leah’s portfolio, two motifs crop up time and again - self portraits and fortune cookies. Makes perfect sense, considering Leah is a very self-aware young lady who knows what she wants out of life and considers herself fortunate to have her talent recognized and be afforded these wonderful opportunities.
Photo GalleryClick here for Slideshow. You can also click on any of the photos to start slideshow.
Powered by eDirectory™