- Around Town
- Holiday Buzz - Sights & Sounds of the Season
- Creating A Company Culture - Resources Real Estate
- Sportika Ground Breaking Ceremony
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Michael Greenberg of HomeClick
- Ask the Expert - TJ Shaheen
- Ask The Expert - Mathnasium of Marlboro
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Richmond County Country Club
- Best Bet - CoCo Pari
- 2016 Guide - Galaxy Toyota
- Daytripper: Central Park Zoo
- Day Tripper - Overnight Adventures
- DayTripper: Laurita Vineyards & Winery
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Enrichment
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - The Yevchaks
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Giglio Builders
- Gift Guide: JMH Home Design Consultants
- Best Bet - Aquaspa Day Spa & Nail Boutique
- Health Talk
- Physician Profile: Dr. Hiren Patel
- Health Talk - Rockwell Dentistry
- Health Talk - Abraham Biegeleisen, D.D.S, P.C.
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- HWB 2016 - Allure Plastic Surgery Center
- Health 2014 - Health Screenings
- Health - Atrium Post Acute Care
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- A Hanukkah Story
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Our Picks
- Our Pick: The Atrium
- New Multi-Disciplinary Cancer Clinic at Bayshore Community Hospital
- Our Pick - Atlantic Age Management
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Robert Bobby Taylor
- People On The Move - David S. Baker
- People On The Move - Cynthia Scott
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- The Bay
- The Bay - One Stop Womens Health
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - iPlay America
- The Guide 2014 - Miles Ahead Sports
- The Guide 2014 - Colts Neck Inn
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Central Jersey Pools
- Our Pick - The Real Estate Boutique
- The Home Guide - Garage Floor Coatings of Greater NJ
Forsaking Formal - Garito
03/05/2010 - By A.J. Perna
Photography by AK Photo / Al Kruper
A Long-Time Colts Neck Family is Enjoying Life and Keeping it Casual
When visiting the home of the Garito family for the first time, it may take dinner guests a few minutes, or maybe even a few hours, before realizing that they will not be enjoying their meal in the dining room. Thats because A.J. and Cara Garito have no dining room! And that is no accident. Cara proudly explains that they are not formal people, so did not want a formal dining room. When the Garitos entertain, guests spend their time socializing in a kitchen with counter areas and seating enough for 20, or having a few glasses of A.J.s home made wine around the custom bar in the finished basement. In the warmer months, they might spill out on to the expansive backyard patio and entertainment area. There just was never a need for another separate room devoted exclusively to eating.
Having spent most of his life in Colts Neck, A.J. Garito was quite familiar with the nooks and crannies of the town, and where some of the more desirable properties were located. Drawing on this life-long knowledge of the area, in 2001, the Garitos purchased a 150-year-old farmhouse on a large, out-of-the-way piece of land, where the family resided for two years while constructing their new home elsewhere on the property.
In 2003, A.J., Cara, and their two children were finally able to take their leave of the old farmhouse, now nothing more than a memory that used to stand where the current driveway ends, and take up residence in a brand new home of their own design. Quite an inviting sight in cedar shakes and Bucks County fieldstone, the Garito home is a cozy 6,700-square-foot delight, designed with family and entertaining in mind.
Life is not just all fun and frolic for the Garitos - they realize that they are fortunate to live and raise their children in a town as wonderful as Colts Neck, and take every opportunity to give back to the community. From the Colts Neck sports foundation to the P.T.O.; from the township recreation committee to the local Girl Scouts, this family is involved. Mention the Garito family somewhere in town, and theres a very good chance that someone within earshot will know exactly who you are talking about.
The massive fieldstone fireplace gets things heated up on the back deck.
Under an arched entryway, rich African mahogany floors move on past the stairway and through the home. The foyer walls are painted with a finish to give the appearance of old stone.
The spacious kitchen was designed entirely by Cara and is the hub of the home. The built-in double ovens are not in the wall, but tucked under the 2-tiered granite countertop seating area for easy access. The centerpiece of this room is an island topped with a custom, solid walnut butcher block, designed and built by Caras brother-in-law, furniture maker, Charlie Parenteau.
The vanity in the first floor lavatory is made from an antique dresser and is complimented by the whimsical library wallpaper.
In the breakfast nook, a deep tray ceiling adorned with a modeled-green
finish dramatically towers above a table made from reclaimed antique
wood, surrounded by four pairs of mismatched chairs.
One of the homes four fireplaces adds to the warmth and comfort of the family room, which has beamed ceilings that crisscross right up to the edge of the kitchen and great room area.
A brightly lit escape along the side of the home, the sunroom is a place to relax and read, or tickle the ivories of the antique baby grand piano.
The large cupola-topped room above the garage was just a plain room until painters that had been working in the house stumbled upon it. They had the idea to paint the entire room to simulate the inside of a big top circus tent - an idea that A.J. & Cara happily agreed to let them try. In the planning stages, the artists sat with daughter, Sophie and together they chose the animals and figures that now adorn the walls.
Plenty of good times are spent in the finished basement. With a full bar, fireplace & mantle, as well as a custom shuffleboard game, its a wonder that anyone ever leaves!
Powered by eDirectory™