- Around Town
- Mike ‘The Situation’ Sorrentino To Appear at Grand Opening
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Renaissance Pilates Now Open
- Ask The Experts
- Cynthia Salter-Lewis, MD, ReNew Med-Spa and Cosmetic Laser Center
- AskThe Experts - Frank D'Aponte
- AskThe Experts - Virginia McDonald
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Atlantic Medicine & Wellness
- Best Bet - Turning Point of Holmdel
- Best Bet - Gerald Peter's Gold Mine
- Cover Story
- Captain David Harrison - Defending From The Jersey Shore
- Sheer Genius
- Mary Higgins Clark
- Day Tripper - Lakota Wolf Preserve
- Medieval Times
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Fall Guide 2014 - The Art of Wine
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Featured Artist - The Yevchaks
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Don Francisco Cigars
- Best Bet - Rejuvenate Center for Medical Aesthetics
- Gift Guide - Linger
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Abraham Biegeleisen, D.D.S, P.C.
- Health Talk - Mark Song, M.D.
- Health Talk - Marshall P. Allegra, M.D.
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- HWB 2014 - Women's Center
- Health 2014 - ah Spa!
- Health Talk - Mark Song, M.D.
- Luxurious, Lavish, and Livable
- On Water's Edge - The Boyle House
- An International Flair - Govil
- Living in Colts Neck
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Impeccable Style
- It's All in the Details
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - Viscon Builders
- Our Pick - Vein Institute of NJ
- The Home Gallery - CMS Construction Group
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Open Hearts Matchmaking
- Our Pick: World Volkswagen
- Company Profile - Salon Belladonna
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Chad Clayton
- People On The Move - Bill Mack
- People On The Move - Lillie Hendry
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- The Bay
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Marshall P. Allegra, M.D.
- The Guide 2014 - Manalapan Woodworking
- The Guide 2014 - Cabitron Kitchen and Bath
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Visit Brock Farms
- The Home Guide - JGS Insurance
- The Home Guide - ACD Custom Granite
Health Talk - IVF New Jersey
Susan Treiser, M.D., Ph.D
IVF New Jersey
How does age affect a woman's chances of getting pregnant?
The odds of getting pregnant are highly dependent on the age of the woman, that is, the age of her eggs. As a woman ages, so do her eggs, and there is less of a chance for a successful conception. The so called “biological clock” cannot be stopped and it continues to tick independent of a woman’s health (good or bad) or use of medications to stop ovulation (i.e. birth control pills). Peak fertility remains steady for most women up to the age of 30 years or so, then there is a steady decline thereafter leading to a severe dip in the late 30s, and substantial difficulties in the early 40s.
Should women consider freezing their eggs to preserve their fertility?
Egg-freezing technology has improved significantly over the last few years and is an option for women who know they want to have children someday, but are not ready now. The success is still related to the age of the eggs when they are frozen. Ideally, women should consider freezing eggs before the age of 35 years, when the eggs are potentially still at their peak quality.
There is a lot of talk and advertisements about testosterone creams and whether or not they effectively improve a man's sperm count.
Testosterone is an essential naturally produced hormone involved in sperm cell production. However, when used as a supplement, especially in large doses and for a prolonged period of time, it can actually shut down the production of sperm cells. Therefore, it is important to let your doctor know if you are trying to conceive prior to using any testosterone formulation (gel, patch, creams, etc.). There are alternative medications that can increase your own natural production of testosterone and actually increase sperm count.
The media portrays high-profile entertainers using Gestational Carriers. Should all women who have had difficulty conceiving consider a Gestational Carrier?
Gestational carriers are usually recommended to women who are unable to conceive for specific reasons, such as the lack of a uterus (due to surgery or birth defect), irreparable damage or scarring of the uterus, or certain medical conditions like lupus, uncontrolled diabetes or high blood pressure, or any condition that prevents a safe pregnancy. In most healthy women, the uterus is able to carry a pregnancy even beyond menopause, which is why it is rarely the actual reason why some women cannot get pregnant.
What is pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD), and when would it make sense to use it?
Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) is a test available to determine the genetic makeup of a pre-embryo before it is transferred into the uterus (pre- implantation). PGD, which requires IVF technology, is mostly recommended to couples who are known carriers of a genetic condition and wish to avoid passing it to their offspring. It can also be helpful to couples with a history of recurrent pregnancy loss and more than one case of failed fertility treatments. PGD also reveals the gender of the embryo, therefore it can be used for family balancing purposes.
Susan Treiser, M.D., Ph.D
495 Iron Bridge Road, Ste. 10 (2nd Fl)
Freehold, NJ 07728
Phone: (732) 577-6500
Dr. Susan Treiser has co-founded and co-directed IVF New Jersey, one of the largest fertility centers on the east coast since its inception in 1990. With locations in Freehold, Somerset, Short Hills, Hamilton and New York City, success rates are among the highest in the U.S. Their full range of services include: In-Vitro Fertilization, Egg Donation, Gestational Surrogacy, Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis, Fertility Preservation and Family Balancing. They also work with single patients and the LGBT community.
Powered by eDirectory™