- Around Town
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Begins New Construction
- Vote For Jacquie Lee
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert: Lillian Burry
- Ask The Expert - Hiren Patel, M.D.
- Ask The Experts: John M. Taylor
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Oasis Backyard Garden
- Best Bet - NY Chiropractic & Physical Therapy
- Best Bet - Montage Decor Inc.
- Day Tripper - FRENCHTOWN
- DayTripper: Historical Village at Allaire
- Day Tripper: Dover Stone Church
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide - Museums
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Featured Artist - The Yevchaks
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Marlboro Village Pharmacy
- Holiday Gift Guide - West End Confection Co.
- Gift Guide - Dosils
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Dr. Anthony Lombardi
- Health Talk - Rejuvenate Center for Medical Aesthetics
- Health Talk - Dr. John Young
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health Talk - Dr. Clifford M. Sales
- Health - Tara Gostovich, DMD Orthodontist
- Health - Sunquest Day Spa
- Our Picks
- Gift Guide - Topline Appliance Center
- Our Pick: Cavallo Construction Company
- Our Pick - Fashion Classes of New Jersey
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Barbara Marro
- People On The Move - Pete Davidson
- People On The Move: Glen J. Dalakian
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Dish - Summer Guide 2014
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Bay
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - L Furs
- The Guide 2014 - The Grove
- The Guide 2014 - Red White & Blue Contracting
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Signature Kitchens of New York, Inc.
- The Home Guide - Custom Granite Fabrications
- The Home Guide - Vizzini & Company
Inspired by the Arts
02/28/2011 - By Michael Berman
Photography by AK Photo / Al Kruper
A Colts Neck home transforms into a masterpiece
This lovely home in Colts Neck is owned by Marie Mascaro and Deborah Blasucci, who have been family friends and business colleagues for many years. They both hold high level executive positions at the same multi-titled magazine publishing company in New York City. In 1994, when each was in the market for new living space, they decided to build a house as a place to call home when away from the hectic pace of Manhattan.
The new, 4,000-plus square foot house was built on a cul-desac in Colts Neck. Both Marie and Deborah knew the commute to the city had the potential to wear thin on occasion but weren’t overly concerned, as each of them owned other real estate properties in the New York area. They both loved the friendliness of the town, and the two acre lot was just perfect for the future installation of a built-in pool, pool house, and many other outdoor amenities that soon became a reality. Additionally, having a home within half an hour of the Jersey Shore became a real advantage when entertaining family, friends and business associates, especially during the summer months when house guests abound.
Initially, the home was decorated in a contemporary style; but over the years the owners’ tastes changed, partially as a result of their business affiliation with art, antiques and decorative art publications. Marie and Deborah decided their home, although beautifully appointed, needed to be expanded to better accommodate their needs. After a period of time working with their architect, Jerry Regan of Long Branch, they developed a plan and moved forward with a 3,500 square foot addition which encompassed two levels and a design for a newly expanded gourmet kitchen, an expanded second master suite, as well as additional guest bedrooms and bathrooms. The completion of the work took a year and a half, and included upgrading the entire home and transforming it into the timeless, classic jewel it has become today.
The owners were thrilled with the work performed by the contractors and crafts people who carried out the project. Neighbor and Groves Custom Builders of Wall handled all aspects of the construction and mill work, while Mr. Paul’s Custom Cabinets of Manasquan designed and built all of the custom cabinetry for the gourmet kitchen, second master bathroom, and laundry room of this ambitious project.
Thetile work alone in the home is of the most tasteful design. It was conceptualized and designed by Avra Karak, owner of Monmouth Street Tile of Red Bank. The results of her talented efforts truly deserve a standing ovation.
All of the necessary decisions regarding style, molding fabrication and other selections were a lot easier to reach because of the excellent working relationship that Marie and Deborah developed with their builder. As a result, they really enjoyed the process and couldn’t be happier with the results. The completed home is a carefully designed, masterfully finished work of renovation art. It exudes warmth – a warmth that reflects the charm of its owners.
Quality and classical touches throughout the home make the results timeless. The moldings and carefully placed furnishings allow the architecture of the exquisitely designed dwelling to shine. The color choices are subtle, yet bold enough to accent the overall composition of a well thought out plan. Soft colors and buttery textures create an enveloping feeling, despite the nearly 8,000 square feet of living space. Leaded glass windows announce the interior entrance in to the grand living space beyond. Although the large space is grand in proportion, the placement of upholstered furnishings softens and creates a sense of intimacy.
When it came to planning the various living spaces in their newly expanded home, the owners wanted comfort and style. Calling this fully furnished and finished space a basement would not do it any justice at all. They have created a wonderful leisure area which boasts a fully appointed bar, a screening room and a billiard table in the gaming section . The results speak – and play – for themselves, as this space becomes one of the most popular places int he house when entertaining.
This fully realized home is anything but cold or uninviting, as is clearly illustrated by this tranquil Library setting. The striped wall treatment and fireplace add coziness to this elegantly appointed room. The classic wing-back, tufted chairs, white trimwork and suspended chandelier combine to complete a most charming and warm room to enjoy reading or a game of backgammon.
The gourmet kitchen features custom-glazed cherry wood cabinets by Mr. Paul’s Cabinets of Manasquan, and custom tile work by Monmouth StreetTile of Red Bank. The center island features granite Typhoon Bordeaux countertops and vintage style, polished nickel faucets. The crystal chandeliers add romance and light to this beautifully finished workspace. The divided windows bring a lot of natural light in to the kitchen and allow for exquisite views of the back portion of the property for all season appeal.
Space can be the final frontier, even in a large home, but Marie is careful not to clutter or over-furnish her master suite. Adramatic see-though fireplace, with beautiful ornamental molding and detail, creates a central focal point without closing in the open floor plan.The careful attention to detail continues in her master bath with mosaic tile by Monmouth StreetTile, detailing decoratively serving the overall design plan. The color palette is soft . . . the intimate space invites bathing .. . during which the stresses of daily life seem to melt away.
Powered by eDirectory™