- Around Town
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Mike ‘The Situation’ Sorrentino To Appear at Grand Opening
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Begins New Construction
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Avra Karak
- AskThe Expert - Stacy Lynn Costa MA, Ed.S.
- Ask The Experts - Premier Pain Centers - Peter S. Staats
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - The Healthy Palate
- The Guide 2014 - Holmdel Orthodontics
- The Guide 2014 - Richmond Chandelier
- Day Tripper - Overnight Adventures
- Medieval Times
- DayTripper: NJ Vietnam Veteran's Memorial
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Featured Artist - Taylor Franzreb
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Addison Park
- Gift Guide - Circle Infiniti
- Gift Guide - Robyn's Sweet Boutique
- Health Talk
- Health - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Health Talk - Hiren Patel, M.D., DABR
- Why physicians and patients trust in Atlantic Medical Imaging
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Jonathan Salon
- Health 2014 - ah Spa!
- Health - Caring for our Seniors
- Newsletter Articles
- Behind The Red Door
- Parker Family Health Center Named Beneficiary
- Operation Provide Comfort
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move - Ryan Dolan
- People On The Move - Jeff Grabosky
- People On The Move: Mark Malek
- The Bay
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Architects Studio Inc. Northeast
- The Guide 2014 - Atlantic Eye Physicians
- The Guide 2014 - Red White & Blue Contracting
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Central Jersey Pools
- The Home Guide - Four Seasons® Sunrooms
- The Home Guide - Energy Aide
Inspired by the Arts
02/28/2011 - By Michael Berman
Photography by AK Photo / Al Kruper
A Colts Neck home transforms into a masterpiece
This lovely home in Colts Neck is owned by Marie Mascaro and Deborah Blasucci, who have been family friends and business colleagues for many years. They both hold high level executive positions at the same multi-titled magazine publishing company in New York City. In 1994, when each was in the market for new living space, they decided to build a house as a place to call home when away from the hectic pace of Manhattan.
The new, 4,000-plus square foot house was built on a cul-desac in Colts Neck. Both Marie and Deborah knew the commute to the city had the potential to wear thin on occasion but weren’t overly concerned, as each of them owned other real estate properties in the New York area. They both loved the friendliness of the town, and the two acre lot was just perfect for the future installation of a built-in pool, pool house, and many other outdoor amenities that soon became a reality. Additionally, having a home within half an hour of the Jersey Shore became a real advantage when entertaining family, friends and business associates, especially during the summer months when house guests abound.
Initially, the home was decorated in a contemporary style; but over the years the owners’ tastes changed, partially as a result of their business affiliation with art, antiques and decorative art publications. Marie and Deborah decided their home, although beautifully appointed, needed to be expanded to better accommodate their needs. After a period of time working with their architect, Jerry Regan of Long Branch, they developed a plan and moved forward with a 3,500 square foot addition which encompassed two levels and a design for a newly expanded gourmet kitchen, an expanded second master suite, as well as additional guest bedrooms and bathrooms. The completion of the work took a year and a half, and included upgrading the entire home and transforming it into the timeless, classic jewel it has become today.
The owners were thrilled with the work performed by the contractors and crafts people who carried out the project. Neighbor and Groves Custom Builders of Wall handled all aspects of the construction and mill work, while Mr. Paul’s Custom Cabinets of Manasquan designed and built all of the custom cabinetry for the gourmet kitchen, second master bathroom, and laundry room of this ambitious project.
Thetile work alone in the home is of the most tasteful design. It was conceptualized and designed by Avra Karak, owner of Monmouth Street Tile of Red Bank. The results of her talented efforts truly deserve a standing ovation.
All of the necessary decisions regarding style, molding fabrication and other selections were a lot easier to reach because of the excellent working relationship that Marie and Deborah developed with their builder. As a result, they really enjoyed the process and couldn’t be happier with the results. The completed home is a carefully designed, masterfully finished work of renovation art. It exudes warmth – a warmth that reflects the charm of its owners.
Quality and classical touches throughout the home make the results timeless. The moldings and carefully placed furnishings allow the architecture of the exquisitely designed dwelling to shine. The color choices are subtle, yet bold enough to accent the overall composition of a well thought out plan. Soft colors and buttery textures create an enveloping feeling, despite the nearly 8,000 square feet of living space. Leaded glass windows announce the interior entrance in to the grand living space beyond. Although the large space is grand in proportion, the placement of upholstered furnishings softens and creates a sense of intimacy.
When it came to planning the various living spaces in their newly expanded home, the owners wanted comfort and style. Calling this fully furnished and finished space a basement would not do it any justice at all. They have created a wonderful leisure area which boasts a fully appointed bar, a screening room and a billiard table in the gaming section . The results speak – and play – for themselves, as this space becomes one of the most popular places int he house when entertaining.
This fully realized home is anything but cold or uninviting, as is clearly illustrated by this tranquil Library setting. The striped wall treatment and fireplace add coziness to this elegantly appointed room. The classic wing-back, tufted chairs, white trimwork and suspended chandelier combine to complete a most charming and warm room to enjoy reading or a game of backgammon.
The gourmet kitchen features custom-glazed cherry wood cabinets by Mr. Paul’s Cabinets of Manasquan, and custom tile work by Monmouth StreetTile of Red Bank. The center island features granite Typhoon Bordeaux countertops and vintage style, polished nickel faucets. The crystal chandeliers add romance and light to this beautifully finished workspace. The divided windows bring a lot of natural light in to the kitchen and allow for exquisite views of the back portion of the property for all season appeal.
Space can be the final frontier, even in a large home, but Marie is careful not to clutter or over-furnish her master suite. Adramatic see-though fireplace, with beautiful ornamental molding and detail, creates a central focal point without closing in the open floor plan.The careful attention to detail continues in her master bath with mosaic tile by Monmouth StreetTile, detailing decoratively serving the overall design plan. The color palette is soft . . . the intimate space invites bathing .. . during which the stresses of daily life seem to melt away.
Powered by eDirectory™