- Around Town
- Staten Island Fun Facts
- CNHS - "It's A Wonder Life"
- RUMC Receives AHA - AHS Gold Plus Achievement Award
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Luis Pereira of Stone World
- Ask The Expert - Avra Karak
- Ask The Expert - Harbor Lights Financial Group, Inc.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - CheckMate Communications
- Best Bet - Jimmy's Fine Jewelry
- The Guide 2015 - Ray Catena Maserati
- Cover Story
- The Q Factor - Quincy Mumford
- Carol Stillwell
- John Green - ABC News Award-Winning Producer
- Day Tripper - The Appalachian Trail
- Day Tripper: Dover Stone Church
- DayTripper: Manasquan Reservoir
- Staten Island EatBeat - Da Nico Ristorante
- Monmouth EatBeat - Patricia's of Holmdel
- Monmouth EatBeat - The Bonney Read
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - The Facebook Situation
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Featured Artist - Jos Serrano
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Atlantic Medicine & Wellness
- Gift Guide - A Perfect Gift By Marilyn
- Best Bet - Aspire Fitness
- Health Talk
- HWB2016 - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- HWB Profile 2016 - The Compounding Facility
- Health Talk - Atlantic Eye Physicians
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - The Samra Group
- Health - The Solace Day Spa & Salon
- Meridian Weightless
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- A Hanukkah Story
- Restaurant Guide - Osteria Cucina Rustica
- Newsletter Articles
- Wine Academy Superstores
- The Home - Ace Home Improvements
- Team Life Celebrates 20 Years
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Yvette Bonfiglio
- People On The Move - Dr. Paul Lenz
- People On The Move - Holli Eng
- Summer Guide
- Our Pick 2016 - George Wall Lincoln
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Best Bet - The Boondocks Fishery Red Bank
- The Bay
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - One Stop Womens Health
- The Guide
- Company Profile - The Compounding Facility
- The Guide 2014 - XCEL Club
- The Guide 2015 - Lotus Health And Wellness Spa
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Adjusters NJ
- The Home - Landscaping by Mike Pantina
- The Home Guide - Joey Ds
People On The Move: Tom Martini
11/01/2007 - By Teja Anderson
Tom Martini: Setting The Stage
If it werent for a boring term paper and a couple of pretty co-eds, Tom Martini might never have discovered his passion and talent for the theater. Many years ago, during spring break (while attending Fordham University in New York City), Tom looked out of his dorm window and spotted two beautiful sisters heading toward the universitys theater (it turned out he had a good eye: one sister went on to become Miss USA, the other Miss Virginia). He decided to follow them and, not even a minute after entering the building, someone he knew came up and said, Hey, you play the piano, dont you? Our pianist has just called in sick and we need to rehearse this musical Tom accepted, and there began his long adventure with the theater.
Since then Tom has done it alleverything except for acting. He went on to become part owner of a summer theater company in the Poconos, which, unfortunately, burned down during only its second season. Tom took this as an omen and got a real job; he ventured into marketing. Over the next couple of decades he wrote, produced, and cast over 100 commercials in New York City. To Tom, commercials still felt like doing theater, albeit in 15 to 30 second bites. During this time he also got married, and he and his wife started a family a son and a daughter. In 1979 he and his family moved to Marlboro, and theyve been here ever since.
Fast-forward to the time his teenage son was attending Christian Brothers Academy and was a member of the stage crew for a production of West Side Story. Tom was yet again asked to cover for a no-show, this time in set design. Once again he was hooked. That fall he, with several other like-minded theater types, co-founded Phoenix Productions. Over the past 20 years Tom, along with the only remaining member of the original group, Ellen Walsh, has produced more than 75 shows and, most recently, he has found his home as the Director of the Count Basie Theater (at 99 Monmouth Street) in Red Bank.
Currently in the throes of a production of The Sound of Music, with the docile sounds of childrens voices in the background, Tom admits that this is his favorite production to date. I could have cast this show with four full sets of actors and not lost an ounce of quality. New Jersey is just a wealth of talent! He also notes that in his productions he doesnt like to double up on the child performers roles. Although this is a good way to increase ticket sales and offers more children more opportunities for some of the better roles, Tom feels that it cuts into quality rehearsal time. For his next project he is looking forward to once again tackling a production of West Side Story, which is coming to the Count Basie Theater November 3rd 11th.
Although Tom is a bit miffed at the latest inclusion of theater to the reality TV phenomenon, Youre the One That I Want, which prompted a production of Grease on Broadway, he does consider it to be brilliant marketing. He also acknowledges that Phoenix Productions own staging of Disneys High School Musical last year was their biggest financial success to date. With Broadway theater prices so high these days, many people are hesitant to take their kids, so Tom feels that anything that can be done to get more children to the theater should be encouraged. And while Tom finds joy in photography and is still involved with some advertising and marketing (which he enjoys on his own terms), the theater is his life.
by Teja Anderson
For tickets and information for the Count Basie Theater, call (732) 842-9000.
Are you or someone you know in Marlboro a Person on the Move? If youve got a story to tell this could be you! E-mail a brief description to us at email@example.com and let us know who you are.
Favorite restaurant: 2Senza, with a nice bottle of red wine
Favorite production: Les Miserables hed love to direct it someday!
Favorite actor: Kevin Kline
Favorite pet: a German Shepherd named Hajj
Pet peeve: doctors who jam their schedules so full they keep their patients waiting seemingly forever
Goal: to live until I die!
Powered by eDirectory™