- Around Town
- Meridian Health Completes Merger with Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Hubbard Park Real Estate Becomes Exclusive Leverage Global Partner for Rumson, NJ
- Ask The Experts
- Company Profile - Shrewsbury Vascular & General Surgery Associates
- Ask The Expert - Carolyn Welsh
- AskThe Experts - Lawrence Durso
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Crown Elegance Bridal
- Best Bet - Aquaspa Day Spa & Nail Boutique
- Best Bet - Trademart Interiors
- Daytripper: Franklin Institute
- Day Tripper - American Museum of Natural History
- Daytripper: Popcorn Park Zoo
- Eat Beat - Angelinas Ristorante
- Central Jersey EatBeat - JUST Restaurant
- Eat Beat - Osteria Cucina Rustica
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - The Endless Summer
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Art of Wine
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - Taylor Franzreb
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Carol Ash, DO
- Health Talk - IVF New Jersey
- Health Talk - Hiren Patel, M.D., DABR
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Health 2015 - Fitness & Exercise
- Health 2014 - Health Screenings
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Holiday Buzz: Holiday Desserts
- Newsletter Articles
- What Finishes a Room?
- The Home Guide - Troost Bros., Inc.
- The Home - Distinctive Custom Masonry Contractors
- Our Picks
- Company Profile - Thoroughbred Dental Arts
- United Teletech Financial Federal Credit Union
- Our Pick - Sea Spa & Salon
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Ken Schwartz
- Kids On The Move - Michael and Ally Baratta,and Sally Carden
- People On The Move - Melissa Ziobro
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- The Bay
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Moonlight Complements
- Company Profile - J.E. Mowery & Son
- Company Profile - JGS Insurance
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Brock Farms
- The Home - Rainmaker Lawn Sprinklers
- The Home Guide - Downtown Tile
People On The Move: Tom Martini
11/01/2007 - By Teja Anderson
Tom Martini: Setting The Stage
If it werent for a boring term paper and a couple of pretty co-eds, Tom Martini might never have discovered his passion and talent for the theater. Many years ago, during spring break (while attending Fordham University in New York City), Tom looked out of his dorm window and spotted two beautiful sisters heading toward the universitys theater (it turned out he had a good eye: one sister went on to become Miss USA, the other Miss Virginia). He decided to follow them and, not even a minute after entering the building, someone he knew came up and said, Hey, you play the piano, dont you? Our pianist has just called in sick and we need to rehearse this musical Tom accepted, and there began his long adventure with the theater.
Since then Tom has done it alleverything except for acting. He went on to become part owner of a summer theater company in the Poconos, which, unfortunately, burned down during only its second season. Tom took this as an omen and got a real job; he ventured into marketing. Over the next couple of decades he wrote, produced, and cast over 100 commercials in New York City. To Tom, commercials still felt like doing theater, albeit in 15 to 30 second bites. During this time he also got married, and he and his wife started a family a son and a daughter. In 1979 he and his family moved to Marlboro, and theyve been here ever since.
Fast-forward to the time his teenage son was attending Christian Brothers Academy and was a member of the stage crew for a production of West Side Story. Tom was yet again asked to cover for a no-show, this time in set design. Once again he was hooked. That fall he, with several other like-minded theater types, co-founded Phoenix Productions. Over the past 20 years Tom, along with the only remaining member of the original group, Ellen Walsh, has produced more than 75 shows and, most recently, he has found his home as the Director of the Count Basie Theater (at 99 Monmouth Street) in Red Bank.
Currently in the throes of a production of The Sound of Music, with the docile sounds of childrens voices in the background, Tom admits that this is his favorite production to date. I could have cast this show with four full sets of actors and not lost an ounce of quality. New Jersey is just a wealth of talent! He also notes that in his productions he doesnt like to double up on the child performers roles. Although this is a good way to increase ticket sales and offers more children more opportunities for some of the better roles, Tom feels that it cuts into quality rehearsal time. For his next project he is looking forward to once again tackling a production of West Side Story, which is coming to the Count Basie Theater November 3rd 11th.
Although Tom is a bit miffed at the latest inclusion of theater to the reality TV phenomenon, Youre the One That I Want, which prompted a production of Grease on Broadway, he does consider it to be brilliant marketing. He also acknowledges that Phoenix Productions own staging of Disneys High School Musical last year was their biggest financial success to date. With Broadway theater prices so high these days, many people are hesitant to take their kids, so Tom feels that anything that can be done to get more children to the theater should be encouraged. And while Tom finds joy in photography and is still involved with some advertising and marketing (which he enjoys on his own terms), the theater is his life.
by Teja Anderson
For tickets and information for the Count Basie Theater, call (732) 842-9000.
Are you or someone you know in Marlboro a Person on the Move? If youve got a story to tell this could be you! E-mail a brief description to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know who you are.
Favorite restaurant: 2Senza, with a nice bottle of red wine
Favorite production: Les Miserables hed love to direct it someday!
Favorite actor: Kevin Kline
Favorite pet: a German Shepherd named Hajj
Pet peeve: doctors who jam their schedules so full they keep their patients waiting seemingly forever
Goal: to live until I die!
Powered by eDirectory™