- Around Town
- CNHS - "It's A Wonder Life"
- Resources Real Estate NJAR 2015 Award Winners
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- Ask The Experts
- Ask the Experts: Giulio Caruso, DC Total Care Chiropractic and Rehab, P.C.
- Ask The Experts - David Chewey
- Oceana Designs
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Jeweled Studio
- 2016 Guide - Jovi's Fine Jewelry
- The Guide 2015 - Rosen Decorators
- Day Tripper - Mountain Creek Resort
- Day Tripper - Koziars Christmas Village
- Day Tripper - Lambert Castle Museum
- Monmouth EatBeat - The Bonney Read
- Staten Island EatBeat - Maxs Es-Ca
- Eats: Rosalia Italian Marketplace
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - Pick Your Patch
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Featured Artist - Grace Your Space
- Featured Artist - The Yevchaks
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - REHABILITY Pain and Injury Center
- The Guide 2016 - Jimmy's Fine Jewelry
- Gift Guide - Alcoeur Gardens
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Dr. Anthony Lombardi
- HWB 2016 - New Reflections Plastic Surgery
- HWB 2015 - Advanced Surgical Healthcare Associates
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- HWB 2016 - Allure Plastic Surgery Center
- HWB 2015 - CareOne
- Health - Orthopaedics
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Holiday Buzz: Out & About in NYC & PHL
- Holiday Buzz: Holiday Desserts
- Newsletter Articles
- Dr. Peggy Avagliano Honored
- Dr. Stephen McManus Earns Top Doctor Recognition
- Atlantic Medical Imaging - Musculoskeletal Imaging
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Elizabeth Shea Arthur
- Nick Mishoe - Dancing In The National Spotlight
- Kids On The Move - Matthew Welch
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- The Bay
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Avanti Day Resort
- The Guide 2015 - Prime Surgicare
- The Guide 2015 - Wisteria of Red Bank
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Garage Floor Coatings
- The Home - Oasis Backyard Farms
- The Home Guide - EncoreGarage of New Jersey
People On The Move - Andrew Scher
04/26/2010 - By Gayle Davis
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER OF THE DOCTORS
Andrew Scher often made the 20-minute drive from Marlboro to Beth Israel Cemetery in Woodbridge, to spiritually connect with his dad. After producing television on every level for nearly twenty years, Scher always dreamed about one day becoming an Executive Producer of a hit show out in Los Angeles. He recalls, When my dad was alive, he would always say, you are not going to L.A. until I am gone and thats not going to be for many years!
Unfortunately, in January of 2007 Schers dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away just a few months later that May. Six months after Scher says, I got a phone call from CBSfrom Dr. Phil and a couple of CBS executives saying that they want to interview me to be the Executive Producer of The Doctors in California. I couldnt believe that just five months after my father died, I got a call to interview out there!
After a series of interviews in November of 2007 Andrews came back to Marlboro and waited a few weeks and did not hear back, so he told his wife he was going to go visit his dad. On that day, while on his way, he said aloud, Dad, can you believe I havent heard back yet? Can you please do something to make that phone call happen? Scher says it was at the moment he was turning left at the light into the cemetery when his bittersweet wish came true! The phone rang with his offer to take the job! He knew at that moment, with his car parked next to his dads grave, he had received his fathers blessing to move to California.
He would be expected to start his new role one month later. He says, I packed my bags and moved to California in January of 2008 and I have been out here ever since. My wife Michele, and two daughters, Arden and Emerson, did not make the move from Marlboro until June of that year because we had to sell our house and I needed to be sure that this move would long term. The moved proved to be a good one. The show has been a huge success. He says, The show just wrapped Season 2 and just signed on for two more years!
As the Executive Producer of the show, Andrew says hes responsible for everything from audience warm ups to booking guests to graphics. He tells us, I leave my house everyday at around 7 a.m. and usually get home at around 9:30 at night. Ideas and concepts are pitched weekly, but before anything appears on the show, it has to have Schers stamp of approval. He says, We are teaching people about medicine. The key to our success is that we are dummying down medicine, but at the same time we are both informative and entertaining. Our success has been proven with our interactive format. We were nominated for a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Information Talk Show, as well as the recipient of the Humanitarian Award from the Red Cross.
Scher has a list of television production credits that could roll on and on. Prior to joining The Doctors, Scher was a Senior Producer of Dr. Phil; an Executive Producer for Banyan Productions A Baby Story, Trading Spaces, and A Dating Story; and a Supervising Producer of The John Walsh Show. There he spent time overseeing on-location specials in Modesto (The Search for Laci Peterson); Salt Lake City (Elizabeth Smart found alive); and Washington D.C. (The Signing of the Amber Alert). Other Senior Producer credits include working on The Queen Latifah Show, The Ricki Lake Show, and The Montel Williams Show. And the list goes ondating back to when he got his start as a Production Assistant in 1989 at Everyday With Joan Lunden, a talk show on WWOR-TV, Channel 9, where he earned 250 dollars a week!
Scher offers a bit of advice for someone whos interested in breaking into the business: You have to have a lot of passion for this. You have to be able to face rejection and be willing to be beaten up but never defeated. Thats a quote he takes out of his fathers book. There are going be a lot of shows youre going have to work on before you get to the top!
IKKO Japanese Steakhouse, Brick
Lack of Communication
THREE PEOPLE YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE DINNER WITH
My Father, Grandfather, and Great Grandfather
Powered by eDirectory™