- Around Town
- Resources Real Estate Receives Nominations For Excellence
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - David Finkel
- Ask The Expert - Greg Nipoti
- Ask The Experts: Tina and Gabriel Simon BallRoom etc. Dance Studio
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Montage Decor Inc.
- The Guide 2015 - Atlantic Medicine & Wellness
- 2016 Guide - Circle Infiniti
- Cover Story
- Reshat Mati The Albanian Bear
- No Horsing Around
- Dylan Bryan Playing the Best Hand in the World
- Day Tripper - Lambert Castle Museum
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Day Tripper - Insectropolis
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Etc - Aspirin...please.
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2015 - Gravity Vault
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Fall Guide 2014 - Museums
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Featured Artist - Grace Your Space
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - Aspire Fitness
- The Guide 2014 - Vino Divino School of Wine
- The Guide 2014 - The Pine Tavern
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Michael J. Lacqua M.D.
- Health Talk - Marshall P. Allegra, M.D.
- Integrative Health Services at Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Caroline Glicksman, MD
- Health 2015 - Radiology
- Health - Steven A. Morgan, M.D
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Holiday Buzz: Holiday Desserts
- Streat Beat - Who Would You Invite To Dinner?
- A Country Estate: The Mullaneys'
- Traditions - Monteforte
- Elegant and Inviting, The Bellomos Home Offers Warmth to Friends and Family
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Floor Coverings International
- Our Pick - Giglio Builders LLC
- Our Pick - Turning Point
- People On The Move
- Larry Fink caring, focused, and concerned environmentalist
- People On The Move: Lin Fong-O'Neill
- Kids On The Move: Dave Burke
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- The Bay
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
- The Guide 2014 - Federicos Landscaping
- The Guide 2014 - Nina Ferrer Design
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Ryser's Landscape Supply
- The Home Guide - ACD Custom Granite
- Best Bet - Community Appliance
People On The Move: Mark Malek
MIXING IT UP
Mark Malek is a self-proclaimed geek who saw a great opportunity to capitalize on his artistic talents and hi-tech finance background to come up with a concept thats sweeping the music industry. He is the founder of Lightspeed Digital Media.
The former Wall Street businessman (who worked at AT&T at the time this idea came to fruition) had an inkling that he wanted to do something entrepreneurial. He went out and raised money for a few start-up companies and landed a gig running Salesware. We managed many major brands pipeline infrastructures into stores like Wal-Mart and K-Mart. He did that for a while but remained an avid investor, hoping that one of his venture capitals would bubble to the top. Mark says, Lightspeed Digital Media was one of those companies. Their technology enables real-time music collaboration and creation, linking musically oriented artists and fans alike. What drew me to this was the music thing.
Malek often tried to collaborate on music with his younger brother Jason, who lives in Ocean Township (where Mark grew up), but he could never seem to get it together because of distractions and scheduling. The concept of this technology is something that made sense to the techie. What makes it practical is that it is in real-time online. Mark and his cofounders decided that this was something that people all over the world could use at least as long as the technology would allow. They also decided that this was something people would actually pay to use. It was all systems go [in January 2006] when Mark and his team decided to launch their innovative business based on carefully studied economics.
The company has since grown in many different ways. Malek says they have become more of a media company. Word has leaked out, and record companies and artists have been turning to Lightspeed. The Marlboro father of two says its been great because the company hasnt had to invest a whole lot on public relations. We quickly got a lot of traction with record companies. The social aspect is that people with similar music interests can log on and talk back to the artists during and after live shows online. We have taken the venue experience, or the live experience, and combined it with the scalability of the Internet. Mark says that indie rockers are really benefiting from using Lightspeeds Jam Now capabilities online. He says its a place for them to showcase their work all over the world and get immediate feedback. Its recorded, and can then be edited and either posted or downloaded.
Hip Hop artists are a huge sector of the music industry, using Lightspeed to broadcast live shows. Artists, such as Roots and Mims and Top 40 artist Secondhand Serenade, have been carried using Jam Now. Malek shares that Duffy and Fall Out Boy are two more slated for the second half of the year! He says that people in other industries have discovered the streaming site, too (i.e., comedians and religious evangelists). It works for anyone who wants to capture a large audience.
Lightspeed recently built a soundstage in Clifton, New Jersey, to provide ample recording space for bands and artists who want to perform and be recorded for broadcast. In the works are two websites for kids to virtually play music with one anothersimilar to Club Penguin. Lightspeed has licensed the infrastructure to them. Battle Rap is another site that is taking advantage of the technology. Malek says the possibilities are endless. At the end of the day, together we are reaping some of the rewards from it. The Internet is here, and more and more people, especially the next generation, are going to use it for entertainment purposes.
Mark has a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics, with minors in finance and accounting and a Masters in Business Administration in finance from Rutgers University. In his spare time he likes to cook; he also coaches soccer here in Marlboro, but his favorite thing to do is to jam and write songs!
Manhattan Steakhouse and David Burke Fromagerie
when people are not punctual
THREE PEOPLE YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE DINNER WITH
Mozart, Martin Scorsese, and Albert Einstein
Powered by eDirectory™