- Around Town
- Team Life Celebrates 20 Years
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Rumson Country Day School Celebrates the Class of 2012
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Experts - Virginia McDonald
- Ask The Experts: Tina and Gabriel Simon BallRoom etc. Dance Studio
- AskThe Expert - Stacy Lynn Costa MA, Ed.S.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Cover Story
- Colts Necks Vanessa Oriolo
- Scores Big In His Field - Rich Russo
- Jeffrey Citron and David Burke
- Day Tripper - Yogi Berra Museum & Learning Center
- DayTripper: Historical Village at Allaire
- Daytripper:The New York Aquarium
- Staten Island EatBeat - Da Nico Ristorante
- Monmouth EatBeat - Patricia's of Holmdel
- Eat Beat - Puglia of Red Bank
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Fall Guide - Art of Wine
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Coastal Plumbing Supply Co.
- Gift Guide - Creative Design Center
- The Guide 2014 - The Curvy Bride
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Brian Long CareOne Senior Care
- HWB 2016 - Allure Plastic Surgery Center
- Health Talk - Pietro Carpenito, M.D.
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health 2015 - Bariatrics
- Health Blog - Vito Mazza Salon & Spa
- Health - Dermatology Associates of Central New Jersey
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- A Hanukkah Story
- Streat Beat - Who Would You Invite To Dinner?
- Valerie Schwab - Home Sweet Home
- Victorian Splendor
- Legacy Meets Love in a Historic Middletown Home
- Newsletter Articles
- Sharon Robinson Addresses Middle Schoolers at RCDS Diversity Summit
- Home Staging
- RUMC Receives AHA - AHS Gold Plus Achievement Award
- Our Picks
- HWB 2016 - New Reflections Plastic Surgery
- Our Pick - Cabinet Logistics LLC
- Our Pick - GloBar SkinArt Studio
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Chris Wood
- People On The Move - Sean Davis
- People On The Move - Sal Guastella
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Best Bet - The Burr Law Group
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- The Bay
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Guide
- 2016 Guide - Karate USA
- Company Profile - The Hart Investment Group of Wells Fargo Advisors
- The Guide 2015 - Richmond University Medical Center
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Showerman of NJ, Inc.
- The Home - JGS Insurance
- The Home Guide - Colts Neck Manor House
People On The Move: Wendy Neuberger and Stephanie Phillips
TURNING A SIMPLE IDEA INTO REALITY
Watch out Holmdel! Two local entrepreneurs are about to put you on the map. Meet Wendy Neuberger and Stephanie Phillips, designers and creators of the disposable toothbrush holder. If youve ever wondered where to keep your toothbrush while traveling then keep reading. This invention promises to keep your toothbrush bristles clean and dry. You havent seen their product in hotels or amenity stores yet, but keep your eyes open; pretty soon itll be just as popular as disposable utensils.
Wendy and Stephanie, two Holmdel moms (with two children each) have been living in Holmdel for more than two decades combined. Both ambitious women had successful careers, as a speech therapist and meeting planner, respectively, at McGraw Hill, until they had children and took on their next important rolesplaying mom. When their kids started getting older and advancing in the Holmdel school district, these stay-at home moms were ready to move forward with their careers again, only this time they wanted to try something different. With full force, Wendy and Stephanie ventured into the world of business. What better time to do it than in this economy? They are guaranteed to hold onto their jobs, since they are the only two people in the company.
These leading ladies didnt start their business yesterday. It has been 2 years since their adventure began, and the road has been filled with bumps and turns. The idea came to Wendy and Stephanie since they are both avid travelersalways on the go. When they stayed in hotels, they wondered where to keep their toothbrushes without resting them on a dirty counter or in a glass. The idea for a disposable toothbrush holder hit them while discussing the issue on a long walk for Breast Cancer in New York City.
First, Wendy and Stephanie needed to put their product idea on paper, find a lawyer, patent it, and finally, secure a manufacturer willing to make the prototype at a reasonable cost. United States manufacturers wanted to overcharge for the sample toothbrush holders, so Wendy and Stephanie found resources in China where their creation could be made at a low enough cost to be profitable. If youve never invented something this may sound like a nightmare, but it wasnt for these two determined women. Their biggest obstacle wasnt even creating a name for their company (W & S Designs). That was simple, Stephanie says, pointing to the monogram logo where her initial appears second to Wendys. Theres already a company name that is S &W, so W & S would suffice.
The most complicated part of the process, they said, came at The Javits Center showcase last November, when they argued over throwing out a carpet or not. So far, that argument has been the roughest part of their journey as entrepreneurs. Wouldnt everyone wish for that to be their biggest issue? Wendy and Stephanie did say that there were times they wanted to throw in the towel, but their hard work, persistence, time, and effort kept them going. As they like to put it, Nothing comes easy.
Thats a lesson theyve taught their [collective] four children in these past 2 years. Their kids have watched as their mothers spent countless hours writing, researching, and making business phone calls. Wendy and Stephanies persistence has taught their kids to keep trying, and eventually good fortune will follow. Their success has already inspired other Holmdel residents to follow their dreams. Wendy and Stephanie said that some other friends are now working on creating businesses, too.
Right now, W & S Designs is pitching the disposable toothbrush holder, meeting with hotel management leaders and amenity distributors. So, look out hotel housekeeping your carts will soon be filled with W & S Designs!
Wendy Bay Avenue Trattoria,Highlands
Stephanie Copper Canyon,Atlantic Highlands
Wendy Eric Clapton
Stephanie Billy Joel
Wendy Bridget Jones Diary
Stephanie Pretty Woman
Wendy no place to keep your toothbrush at a hotel;
Stephanie cars that take up two parking spaces
THREE PEOPLE YOUD LIKE TO HAVE DINNER WITH
Wendy Zadie Smith,Ina Gardner, and Al Gore;
Stephanie Ellen Degeneres, Oprah Winfrey, and Jim Carrey
Powered by eDirectory™