- Around Town
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Firefly at the White Sands Opening Night
- Vote For Jacquie Lee
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert: Lillian Burry
- Ask The Expert - Dearborn Market: Frank Luccarelli
- Ask The Expert - Alexandra Freer
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Renaissance Pilates Red Bank
- The Guide 2014 - Richmond University Medical Center
- The Guide 2014 - Grand Design Doors
- Day Tripper: Crayola Factory
- Day Tripper - Peddlers Village
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Annex
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Museums
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Taylor Franzreb
- Featured Artist - The Yevchaks
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - World Class Kitchen & Bath Design Center
- The Guide 2014 - Downtown Tile
- Gift Guide - LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Blaha Counselors at Law
- Health Talk
- Health - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Health Talk - Anthony Sparano, M.D.
- Health Talk - Dr. Anthony Lombardi
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Air Doctors, Inc.
- Health - StudioSpin+
- HWB 2014 - Marshall P. Allegra
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home Gallery - John Cortese Masons
- The Home - Red Bank FrameWorks
- JOHN DIAS ANNOUNCED AS ARTISTIC DIRECTOR OF TWO RIVER THEATER CO.
- Our Picks
- Company Profile - Steven A. Morgan, M.D., F.A.C.O.G.
- Our Picks - Closettec
- Dr. Eric LeBlanc, DMD
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Tom Martini
- People On The Move - James Yarosh
- People On The Move - Tracey Dell
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Dish - Summer Guide 2014
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- The Bay
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Casale Jewelers
- The Guide 2014 - The Cracked Olive Market
- The Guide 2014 - Nina Ferrer Design
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Home Living Furniture
- The Home Guide - casale TILE
- The Home Guide - EncoreGarage of New Jersey
People On The Move - Yvette Bonfiglio
05/03/2012 - By Paul Williams
Waking Up With A Mission
Yvette Bonfiglio of Monmouth Beach woke up one morning more than a year ago with a mission: to help The Ashley Lauren Foundation, which since 2005 has provided financial assistance, emotional support, and more to families whose children have been stricken with cancer. The charitable, nonprofit organization based in Colts Neck was founded by local resident, Monica Vermeulen, and named for her daughter, Ashley Lauren, who successfully overcame kidney cancer when she was just 3.
It was her husband and business partner, Tom Bonfiglio, owner of Tommy's Coal Fired Pizza, who first introduced Yvette to Monica. Yvette became enchanted with the foundation's service to the community, and has since become a major contributor to it herself. "What Monica does for these kids is beautiful and amazing. After meeting her I just woke up one day and decided I wanted to be a part of it," Yvette says. "These children and their families are suffering, and I'd like to do what I can to make them smile and feel better, even if it's for just a little while."
Yvette keeps a busy schedule between the three Tommy's Coal Fired Pizza locations. But that doesn't deter her from visiting the sick children or lending a helping hand to their families a few days every week. In fact, she recently found a way to assist them during work when she started "Tommy's Kid of the Month," a joint charity with Ashley Lauren, to benefit the child's family that Monica provides each month. The program has been more successful than Yvette could have hoped for thus far. She keeps a donation box in each restaurant with a picture of the child, indicating that other businesses in the area have inquired about ways they can help out as well. "I just wanted to find a way to help these children, and the idea for the kid of the month just came to me. I'd have to say that God is steering this boat in the direction it's going in. I don't know where all these ideas have come from, and I'm not out there networking a lot," she says.
While Yvette may not be actively seeking more endorsements or donations for her noble cause, she constantly offers her own kindness and ingenuity to the families of the suffering children. She brings some of the children into Tommy's every week and lets them help their chef make pizzas during early business hours, and routinely visits them at Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, entertaining the children there with toys and games, providing them some much needed happiness during their difficult treatments.
Yvette also brings her new dog, Bruno, along with her. "He looks like Marmaduke, and the children just adore him. Once they see him, their faces just light up," she says of Bruno. She is also training him to become a medical dog for the hospital. "I try to keep in touch with all of the kids I see here. Sometimes we'll text at 3 a.m. I admire each one of them. These kids are some of the strongest people I've ever met."
Yvette, whose empathetic nature has her giving blood to the Red Cross every three months for the past several years, and Monica's generous charity have been a great tandem so far. They continue to dream about growing The Ashley Lauren Foundation, and expanding its reach in the future. "Our goal is to one day have a farm where we can house the children and their families for a little while. Maybe somewhere in Monmouth County we can make a place where they can see some animals and just escape for a few days when they are able to. We can't make the kids better, but we can make them smile. Hopefully one day we can provide all that for them," she says.
To learn more about, or make a donation to The Ashley Lauren Foundation, visit their website, www.ashleylaurenfoundation.org.
To learn more about "Tommy's Kid of the Month," visit Tommy's Coal Fired Pizza's website, www.newjerseycoalfiredpizza. com, and click on the Charity Connection tab.
Tommy's Coal Fired Pizza
People who are not empathetic towards others
THREE PEOPLE YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE DINNER WITH
My mother, Rob Thomas, Andrea Bocelli
Powered by eDirectory™