- Ask The Experts
- Jim O’Neill - Event Sales Director
- Ask the Expert - Richard W. Clift
- Ask The Expert - Brock Farms
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - George Wall Ford Lincoln
- Best Bet - Red Bank Radiologists
- The Home Guide - Downtown Tile
- Staten Island EatBeat - Nino’s Restaurant
- Staten Island EatBeat - Arena Steakhouse & Lounge
- Eats: Asahi
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Agostino
- The Guide 2015 - Staten Island Furrier
- The Guide 2014 - Limor Jewelers
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Allen Morgan Fertility and Reproductive Medicine
- Health Talk - Brian Long CareOne Senior Care
- Guest Blogger >> Sonya Moretti, WHNP-BC, NAMS
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Lettuce for Life
- Health Blog - Glo Bar Skin Art Studio
- Health - Jersey Shore Hot Yoga Marlboro
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Give a Little - Get a Lot
- A Country Estate: The Mullaneys'
- Traditions - Monteforte
- Shabby Chic & Chandeliers - The Brillers
- Living in Colts Neck
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Montrose Schoolhouse
- It's All in the Details
- Newsletter Articles
- Colts Neck Cares 1st Annual Benefit for Bella
- A Seductive Re-Imaging - The Keeleys
- The Home - H2o Bath & Kitchen Elegance - The Spa Experience
- Our Picks
- Company Profile - M & N Steakhouse
- Our Pick - GloBar SkinArt Studio
- Our Pick - Cunningham Orthopaedics
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Christina Nelson
- People On The Move - Tom and Hedy Valledolmo
- People on the Move: Karen Ginty
- Summer Guide
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- The Bay
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Guide
- DISH - 2014 Monmouth County Guide
- Company Profile - Lifestyles Medical
- The Guide 2015 - Liberty Homes of Staten Island, Inc.
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Joey D’s
- The Home Guide - Carpets With A Twist
- The Home Guide - ACD Custom Granite
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™