- Around Town
- Team Life Celebrates 20 Years
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- RUMC Receives AHA - AHS Gold Plus Achievement Award
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Experts - Virginia McDonald
- Cynthia Salter-Lewis, MD, ReNew Med-Spa and Cosmetic Laser Center
- AskThe Expert - Stacy Lynn Costa MA, Ed.S.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Fords Jewelers
- Best Bet - The Grove at Shrewsbury
- The Guide 2014 - Vik's Fine Jewelry
- Cover Story
- Kelly Breen
- Jon D’Agostino - A Little Bit City, A Lot Bit Country
- A Young Novelty - Sara Samarasinghe
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Day Tripper - American Museum of Natural History
- Day Tripper - Lambert Castle Museum
- Etc - Aspirin...please.
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - The Facebook Situation
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Art of Wine
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Gift Guide
- A Perfect Gift By Marilyn - Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Jimmy Pecci’s Taste of Italy
- Gift Guide - Princeton BMW-MINI
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Dawn Rockwell, DMD
- Dr. Peggy Avagliano Honored
- Health Talk - Pop Weight Loss
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - The Dermatology Center
- Health - Arch Brow
- Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - H2O Bath and Kitchen Elegance
- Physician Profile: Dr. Hiren Patel
- The Home - Red Bank FrameWorks
- Our Picks
- Health - HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Tinton Falls
- Our Pick - Atlantic Eye Physicians
- Ideal Tile of Ocean
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd
- People On The Move: Laurence Feldman
- Kids On The Move - Matthew Sawaged
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Dish - Summer Guide 2014
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- The Guide
- Company Profile - Dr. Anthony Mancino
- Company Profile - Physicians for Alternative Medicine
- The Guide 2015 - K9 Resorts Daycare & Luxury Hotel
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Carpets With A Twist
- The Home - Oasis Backyard Farms
- The Home Guide - New Jersey Best Lawns
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™