- Around Town
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Begins New Construction
- Renaissance Pilates Now Open
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts - Premier Pain Centers
- Ask The Expert - Mathnasium® of Marlboro
- Ask The Expert - Jason C. Frazzano, Esq.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Rejuvenate Center for Medical Aesthetics
- Best Bet - SI Cruise Club & My Going Places Travel
- The Guide 2015 - DeMarco’s Catering & Gourmet Deli
- Cover Story
- Eric Casaburi - Fearless
- Max Ehrich - Pursuing His Passion
- The Art of Fencing with Thomas Hearne
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Enrichment
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Fall Guide 2014 - Pick Your Patch
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Seasonal World
- Gift Guide - Folio Art Glass
- Gift Guide - Appliance Brokers Ltd.
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Allen Morgan Fertility and Reproductive Medicine
- Health Talk - Dr. Anthony Lombardi
- Health Talk - Iorio Plastic Surgery and CosMedical Center
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Cosmetics
- HWB 2014 - Victory Medical Associates
- Health 2014 - Overcoming Infertility
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Living in Colts Neck
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- It's All in the Details
- Impeccable Style
- Newsletter Articles
- Eagle Oaks Country Club Hosts Honor Day
- The Home Gallery - Zaksons Fine Furniture and Interior Design
- Weigh In - What is the worst gift you ever received?
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Prime Surgicare
- Health - Bear Brook Commons Dental Group
- Company Profile - Pizza Fusion™
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Sean Davis
- People on the Move: Lieutenant Ross Licitra
- People On The Move: Jackie Mercandetti
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- The Bay
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Guide
- Our Pick - CareOne
- The Guide 2014 - InHaus Kitchen & Bath Remodeling
- Our Pick - Career Gaudium
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Colts Neck Manor House
- The Home Guide - Visit Brock Farms
- The Home - ACD Custom Granite
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™