- Around Town
- Firefly at the White Sands Opening Night
- Vote For Jacquie Lee
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Begins New Construction
- Ask The Experts
- Jim O’Neill - Event Sales Director
- Ask The Expert - Total Vein and Rejuvenation Center
- Ask The Expert: John Beurskens
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Coastal Plumbing Supply Co.
- Best Bet - Rejuvenate Center for Medical Aesthetics
- The Guide 2014 - B and A Jewelers
- Cover Story
- Novel Ideas - Robin Friedman: Author, Journalist, and Jersey Girl
- Scott Rasmussen
- Jim Babjak - Blow to Smithereens
- DayTripper: Northlandz
- Day Tripper - Overnight Adventures
- Day Tripper - The Appalachian Trail
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - All-County Dermatology
- The Guide 2014 - Moonlight Complements
- The Shoppes at Old Bridge - Gift Guide
- Health Talk
- Health - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Health Talk - David Lopez, M.D.
- Health Talk - Dr. Clifford M. Sales
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Red Bank Gastroenterology Associates
- Health Talk - Hiren Patel, M.D., DABR
- Health - Pilates Space, LLC.
- Living in Colts Neck
- All The Pretty Horses
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Feels Like Home
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home Gallery - California Closets
- Eats: Asahi
- Kids On The Move: Alexander Wolkomir
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Mitchell Remig
- People On The Move - Sean Davis
- People On The Move - Niki Popyer
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- The Bay
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Reproductive Science Center of NJ
- The Guide 2014 - Seasonal World
- The Guide 2014 - Redhead Photography
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - JGS Insurance
- The Home Guide - Colts Neck Manor House
- The Home Guide - S DeCenzo Designs, LLC
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™