- Around Town
- Oceanfront Restaurants New Wine Program Creates Big Waves in Jersey Shore Wine Scene
- Fall Guide 2014 - Activities
- 5th Annual Cardboard Box City Raises More Than $14,000
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Alexandra Freer
- Ask The Expert - Robert E.Wold, M.D.
- Ask The Experts - Wegmans
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Annas Italian Kitchen
- 2016 Guide - Pelican Shops
- The Guide 2014 - InHaus Kitchen & Bath Remodeling
- Day Tripper - South Street Seaport NYC
- Day Tripper - Diggerland USA
- Day Tripper - The Staten Island Childrens Museum
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Art of Wine
- Fall Guide 2014 - Pick Your Patch
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Grace Your Space
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - Lotus Health & Wellness Spa
- Gift Guide - Nostalgia Oak Warehouse
- The Shoppes at Old Bridge - Gift Guide
- Health Talk
- Health Blog - Atlantic Laser Vision Center
- Health Talk - Dr. Patrick Cuozzo
- Health Talk - Falguni Patel, MD
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Dermatology Associates of Central New Jersey
- Health - Back 2 Health Family Wellness Center
- HWB 2015 - Marshall P. Allegra, M.D.
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Restaurant Guide - Osteria Cucina Rustica
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Best Bet - David Burkes Fromagerie
- Living in Colts Neck
- Gratitude in Guatemala
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Feels Like Home
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Jays Shoe Box
- Company Profile - Thoroughbred Dental Arts
- Our Pick - The Malvern School
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Catherine Zalewski
- People On The Move - Terry and Faye Zealand
- People On The Move - Lou Morreale
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - The Compounding Facility
- The Guide 2015 - Wisteria of Red Bank
- The Guide 2015 - Terrazza Restaurant
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Downtown Tile
- The Home Guide - Pietra Bella
- The Home Guide - California Closets
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something theyd felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Marys snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™