- Around Town
- Jayne S. Carmody School Dedication
- AMI Foundation Donates More Than 500 lbs. of Food from 6th Annual Food Drive
- Resources Real Estate Receives Nominations For Excellence
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Dearborn Market: Frank Luccarelli
- Ask The Experts: William Kilbride, Owner Critelli & Kilbride Realtors
- Ask The Expert - Northern Valley Affairs
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - ClosetTec
- The 2015 Home Guide - ForeverLawn at the Shore
- 2016 Guide - Sandy Hook Yacht Sales
- Cover Story
- Calling The Shots
- Woman on a Mission, Senator Ellen Karcher: Wife, Mother and Senator of NJ
- The Magic At PS22 - Gregg Breinberg
- Day Tripper - USMA at West Point
- Day Tripper - Snug Harbor
- Day Tripper: Dover Stone Church
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Fall Guide 2014 - Pick Your Patch
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Featured Artist - Jos Serrano
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Pop Weight Loss
- Company Profile - New Relfections Plastic Surgery
- Health Talk - Iorio Plastic Surgery and CosMedical Center
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- HWB 2014 - Relief Source, LLC
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Health Blog - Glo Bar Skin Art Studio
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Best Bet - David Burkes Fromagerie
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Homes: Classically Inspired - A familys heritage and traditions guide a dramatic interior
- Valerie Schwab - Home Sweet Home
- East Meets West
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home Gallery - Fuda Tile & Marble
- The Home - Giglio Builders
- Our Pick: Visual Impact Decorating
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Kathy Poppe-Pullen
- Kids On The Move - William Otto George IV
- Carmine Visone teaching important lessons
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- The Bay
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Casale Jewelers
- The Guide 2016 - Gerald Peters Jewelers
- The Guide 2014 - Coastal Plumbing Supply Co.
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Troost Bros., Inc.
- The Home Guide - Colts Neck Manor House
- The Home Guide - AW Eurostile
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something theyd felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Marys snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™