- Around Town
- Annual Monmouth Teen Arts Festival
- Closettec "UGLY CLOSET" Contest
- Renaissance Pilates Now Open
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Avra Karak
- Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
- Ask The Expert - Alexandra Freer
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Limor Jewelers
- The Guide 2014 - Richmond Tile and Bath
- The Guide 2014 - Athena Learning Center
- Cover Story
- His Honor - Patrick Impreveduto
- Nicholas Harary - The Essential Ingredients
- Forward Progress - Wayne Chrebet JS
- Day Tripper - Whitesbog Village
- Daytripper: Liberty Science Center
- Day Tripper - Momouth Park
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Featured Artist - José Serrano
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Ocean Bath & Kitchen
- Dearborn Market - Gift Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Angelina’s Ristorante
- Health Talk
- Health - Think Spring, Think Injury Avoidance
- Health Talk - Pop Weight Loss
- Health Talk - Dr. Patrick Cuozzo
- Newsletter Articles
- Operation Provide Comfort
- The Home - Sunshine Solar Systems Inc.
- Our Picks: H2O Bath & Kitchen Elegance
- Our Picks
- Health - The Dermatology Center
- Our Pick - Sofra Turkish Cuisine
- Our Pick - Giglio Builders LLC
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Jesse Greenberg
- People On The Move - Carl Johnson
- People on the Move: Maureen Doloughty
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- The Bay
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Guide
- Company Profile - Atlantic Age Management
- The Guide 2014 - ClosetTec
- The Guide 2013 - DoubleTake Luxury Consignment Boutique
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - New Jersey Best Lawns
- The Home Guide - Oasis Backyard Farms
- The Home Guide - ForeverLawn at the Shore
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™