- Around Town
- 5th Annual Cardboard Box City Raises More Than $14,000
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Greg Nipoti
- Ask The Expert - Brock Farms
- AskThe Expert - Mike Moretti
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Staten Island Furrier
- The Guide 2015 - Atlantic Medicine & Wellness
- Best Bet - Top Line Appliance Center
- Cover Story
- Captain David Harrison - Defending From The Jersey Shore
- Still Kicking - Tab Ramos
- Strong Bonds
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Day Tripper - Spa Castle
- Day Tripper - Cowtown Rodeo
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - Activities
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Weigh In - Which Halloween mask wins the creepy award?
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Rejuvenate Center for Medical Aesthetics
- The Guide 2014 - Architects Studio Inc. Northeast
- The Guide 2015 - Allure Plastic Surgery Center
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Pop Weight Loss
- Health Talk - Beth M. Deutch MD
- Why physicians and patients trust in Atlantic Medical Imaging
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Red Bank Gastroenterology Associates
- A Better You
- Health - Steven A. Morgan, M.D
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Best Bet - David Burke’s Fromagerie
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Living in Colts Neck
- Gratitude in Guatemala
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- All The Pretty Horses
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home Gallery - Distinctive Pools
- The Home - ACD Custom Granite
- Our Pick: Visual Impact Decorating
- Our Picks
- Health - Advanced Dentistry
- Our Pick - Lincroft Village Jewelers
- Our Pick - Open Hearts Matchmaking
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Rabbi Donald Weber
- People On The Move - Bo Scannapieeco
- People On The Move - Cheryl Ann Cook
- Summer Guide
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Dr. Abraham Biegeleisen
- The Guide 2013 - The Couture Exchange
- The Guide 2014 - Ski Barn
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - ACD Custom Granite
- The Home Guide - Four Seasons® Sunrooms
- The Home Spotlight - Select Technology Group
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™