- Around Town
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Begins New Construction
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - John Panicali, D.C., Chiropractor
- Ask The Expert - Rudolf C. Thompson, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Ask The Experts: John M. Taylor
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Rejuvenate Center for Medical Aesthetics
- Best Bet - Elite Dental of Staten Island
- The Guide 2014 - Vovo Clinic
- Cover Story
- A Story Like No Other - Jim Nantz
- Perfectly Pitched For Success - Charlie Puth
- Sheer Genius
- DayTripper: Laurita Vineyards & Winery
- Daytripper: Popcorn Park Zoo
- Day Tripper - Mystic Seaport
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Fall Guide - Kids Enrichment
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - The Yevchaks
- Featured Artist - Grace Your Space
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - Oasis Backyard Garden
- Gift Guide - Encompass Outdoors
- Gift Guide - Advanced Vascular Solutions
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Pietro Carpenito, M.D.
- Health Talk - Rejuvenate Center for Medical Aesthetics
- Health Talk - Carol Ash, DO
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Air Doctors, Inc.
- Health - Premier Pain Centers
- Health - Colts Neck Hot Yoga
- Living in Colts Neck
- Gratitude in Guatemala
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Montrose Schoolhouse
- Newsletter Articles
- Eats: Twin Lights Bakery Cafe
- Red Bank Cabinet Company
- The Home Q&A - T. Dorland Studio at Folio Art Glass
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Garage Floor Coatings of Greater
- Company Profile - Atlantic Age Management
- Our Pick - Company Profile - Spine & Pain Centers of NJ and NY
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Taralynn Vecchio
- Making a Difference - Cory Bolotsky
- People on the Move: Tim McDonnell
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- The Bay
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Pier Village
- The Guide 2014 - Moonlight Complements
- The Guide 2013 - A Perfect Gift by Marilyn
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - New Jersey Best Lawns
- The Home Guide - Central Jersey Pools
- The Home - ACD Custom Granite
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™