- Around Town
- Big Game Day Party at the Tiki Bar at Driftwood
- QuickChek Opens Newest Store In Morganville
- Count Basie Theatre Announces Board Members
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Joe Chehova of Lighting World
- Ask the Experts: Vincent J Puma
- Ask the Expert - TJ Shaheen
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Cuozzo Orthodontics
- The Guide 2015 - Brock Farms
- The Guide 2014 - Essential Elements Dance Studio
- Cover Story
- Elizabeth Masucci
- Captain David Harrison - Defending From The Jersey Shore
- Max Ehrich - Pursuing His Passion
- DayTripper: Laurita Vineyards & Winery
- Daytripper:The New York Aquarium
- Day Tripper - USMA at West Point
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - Aspirin...please.
- Etc - The Facebook Situation
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Games2U Entertainment
- The Guide 2014 - Paramount Oral Surgery
- The Guide 2013 - DoubleTake Luxury Consignment Boutique
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Ragui Sadek MD FACS
- Health Talk - IVF New Jersey
- Health Blog - Lifestyles Medical
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - db Orthopedic Physical Therapy, PC
- HWB 2014 - Abraham Biegeleisen, D.D.S, P.C.
- Health - Associated Pain Specialists
- Living in Colts Neck
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Montrose Schoolhouse
- All The Pretty Horses
- Newsletter Articles
- Staten Island Fun Facts
- Kids On The Move: Ben Cruz
- A Hidden Beauty - The Greenbergs
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Taralynn Vecchio
- People On The Move - Serena DiMaso
- People On The Move - Sophie Garito
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- The Bay
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Robert Defalco Realty
- The Guide 2015 - Ama Ristorante at Driftwood
- The Guide 2015 - Glo Bar Skin Art Studio
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Energy Aide
- The Home Guide - Ace Aluminum
- The Home Guide - Top Line Appliance Center
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™