- Around Town
- 2012 Meridian Health Foundation Gala Success
- Two River Theatre Annouces 20th Anniversary Season
- Around Town - Red Bank RiverCenter Announces 2013 Holiday Events
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert: Iris Lurie
- Ask The Expert - Beth Thomas-Edwards
- Ask The Expert - Dr. William Ziegler
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Buyers Guide 2011-2012
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - The Samra Group
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - California Closets
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Kol Marble & Granite
- Cover Story
- Bob Kaldor: More than Surviving
- A Major League Success - John Valentin
- A Story Like No Other - Jim Nantz
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Etc - The Facebook Situation
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Featured Artist - Molly Gaston Johnson
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Underground Gym
- Gift Guide - West End Confection Co.
- The Guide 2013 - J. Vincent Jewelers
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Michael R. D’Agnes, FACHE
- Why physicians and patients trust in Atlantic Medical Imaging
- Health - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Bayshore Community Health Services
- Health - Marlboro Dental Arts
- Health - haircolorxperts
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home: Cabitron - Design Trends
- The Home Gallery - Richmond Tile
- The Home - Ideal Tile Gallery
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Dr. Claudia Huegel
- Company Profile - Dr. John Young Orthodontics & Invisalign
- Eat Beat - Sam Vera Restaurant
- People On The Move
- Colts Neck Member Of Jack & Jill Monmouth County Chapter
- Kids On The Move: John Blakeslee
- People On The Move - Dr. Gerardo Goldberger
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - What Annoys You Most About The Beach?
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- The Bay
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Guide
- The Guide 2013 - Terrazza Restaurant
- The Guide 2013 - Avanti Day Resort
- The Guide 2013 - Eagle Oaks Golf & Country Club
- The Home Guide
- The Home Gallery - Distinctive Pools
- The Home - Rainmaker Lawn Sprinklers
- The Home - Oasis Backyard Farms
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™