- Around Town
- Voyagers’ Community School Welcomes Dr. Nel Noddings
- Staten Island Fun Facts
- Malvern School Hosts Seventh Annual Lemonade Day
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts - Premier Pain Centers
- Ask the Expert - Richard W. Clift
- AskThe Experts - Dance Attitudes
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Atlantic Medicine & Wellness
- The Guide 2015 - Il Sogno Ristorante Italiano
- Best Bet - Home Theatre Connection
- Cover Story
- A Hidden Beauty - The Greenbergs
- PIX11 Anchor Sukanya Krishnan
- Racing Royalty - Joe Bongiorno
- Day Tripper - Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- Daytripper: Hunter Mountain
- Day Tripper - Cowtown Rodeo
- Eats: Park Avenue Bistro
- Monmouth Eat Beat - It’s Greek to Me
- Eat Beat - Osteria Cucina Rustica
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Kristin Belen, M.D.
- Why physicians and patients trust in Atlantic Medical Imaging
- Health Talk - db Orthopedic Physical Therapy
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home: Paradise Stone & Tile
- Our Pick - Cortez Cigars
- Forefront Homes Builds Homes That Welcome, Comfort And Inspire
- Our Picks
- Company Profile - Lifestyles Medical
- Our Pick - Land Rover Monmouth
- Our Pick: Home Away From Home Academy
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - James Yarosh
- People On The Move: Frank Holmgren
- People On The Move - Taralynn Vecchio
- Summer Guide
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- Summer Fun - Summer 2014
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- The Bay
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Guide
- Our Pick - Richmond University Medical Center
- The Guide 2013 - Bear and Birch
- The Guide 2014 - Brown’s Heating, Cooling and Plumbing
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Garage Floor Coatings of Greater NJ
- Our Pick - The Real Estate Boutique
- The Home Guide - California Closets®
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™