- Around Town
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Fall Guide 2014 - Activities
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Beth Thomas-Edwards
- Ask The Expert - John Coscia of AJC Advisors
- AskThe Experts - Dance Attitudes
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - IVF New Jersey
- Best Bet - Mr Paul's Custom Cabinetry
- The Guide 2014 - EXIT Realty East Coast
- Cover Story
- Woman on a Mission, Senator Ellen Karcher: Wife, Mother and Senator of NJ
- Taylor Totland – The Shotmaker
- Talking Family and Football with NFL Network’s Melissa Stark
- Day Tripper - American Museum of Natural History
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Day Tripper: Grounds For Sculpture
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Fall Guide 2014 - The Art of Wine
- Fall Guide 2014 - Performing Arts
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Advanced Body Rehabilitation Center
- Gift Guide - Golds Gym
- Gift Guide - AMG Family Dentistry
- Health Talk
- Our Pick - Dr. Young Orthodontic & Cosmetic Services
- Health Talk - Mark Song, M.D.
- Health - Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - DeForte Dentistry
- HWB 2014 - Atlantic Age Management
- Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Living in Colts Neck
- La Bella Vita!
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Home at Last
- Newsletter Articles
- JDRF 12th Annual Need for Speed Gala
- The Home: Energy Saving Tips - Airtight Insulation
- Eats: Red
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Craft Master Builders Corporation
- Colts Neck Yoga
- Our Pick - GloBar SkinArt Studio
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Carl Johnson
- People On The Move - Bo Scannapieeco
- People On The Move - Jeanne Patterson
- Summer Guide
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Ferrari of Central New Jersey
- The Guide 2014 - Turning Point
- The Guide 2014 - Paramount Oral Surgery
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - H2O Bath & Kitchen Elegance
- The Home - Distinctive Pools
- The Home Guide - Central Jersey Pools
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™