- Around Town
- Bentley Edison Service Clinic
- CPC BEHAVIORAL HEALTHCARE GRAND OPENING
- AMI Foundation Donates More Than 500 lbs. of Food from 6th Annual Food Drive
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts - Rudolf C. Thompson, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- AskThe Experts - Dance Attitudes
- Jim O’Neill - Event Sales Director
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Day Tripper - Lambert Castle Museum
- Day Tripper - Staten Island Ferry Adventure
- Medieval Times
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - John Kelly
- Featured Artist - Leah Passafiume
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - Devine Creations Design Center
- Gift Guide: deJensen Salon & Spa
- The Guide 2015 - Beach Tavern
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Rejuvenate Center for Medical Aesthetics
- Our Pick - Dr. Young Orthodontic & Cosmetic Services
- Health Talk - Anthony Sparano, M.D.
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Marlboro Village Pharmacy
- HWB 2014 - Retina Consultants
- Health - Sunquest Day Spa
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Give a Little - Get a Lot
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Newsletter Articles
- Spotlight - Caring Heart & Brain Imaging
- Behind The Red Door
- Bentley Edison Vehicle Storage Special
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Specialists
- Our Pick - Dermatology Associates of Central New Jersey
- Our Pick - Monmouth Dental Group
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Brian Turtle
- People On The Move: C. Arthur Albrizio
- Mary Lou Moramarco - Volunteer Extraordinaire
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Bay
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Audi Freehold
- Company Profile - Saint Peter’s National Gianna Center for Women’s Health & Fertility
- Company Profile - Advanced Surgical Healthcare Associates
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Decorating Den Interiors
- The Home - ACD Custom Granite
- The Home - Rainmaker Lawn Sprinklers
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™