- Around Town
- Bentley Edison Service Clinic
- CPC BEHAVIORAL HEALTHCARE GRAND OPENING
- CNHS - "It's A Wonder Life"
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert: Asaad H. Samra, M.D.
- Ask The Experts: William Kilbride, Owner Critelli & Kilbride Realtors
- AskThe Expert - Frank LaRocca
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Gerald Peter's Gold Mine
- Best Bet - The Loft at Ariana’s Grand
- Best Bet - 732-Express
- Cover Story
- Mike Chen
- Mike Petke - New York Red Bulls Head Coach
- Woman on a Mission, Senator Ellen Karcher: Wife, Mother and Senator of NJ
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Annex
- Daytripper: Museum of Modern Art
- Day Tripper - The Amish Experience
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - The Art of Wine
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Fall Guide - Art of Wine
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - Lotus Health & Wellness Spa
- The Guide 2014 - Denise L. Waldron, DMD
- Best Bet - Fords Jewelers
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - David Lopez, M.D.
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Health Talk - The Center for Bariatrics
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health 2015 - Bariatrics
- Health Talk - The Center for Bariatrics
- Health Talk - Dr. Thomas J. Kayal
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Weigh In - What famous person would you invite to your holiday table?
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Chanukah Traditions In Transition
- Easy Living On A Grand Scale - Alyson and Keith Arnott
- The Coriolans - An Eclectic Estate
- Homes: Classically Inspired - A family’s heritage and traditions guide a dramatic interior
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - Landscaping by Mike Pantina
- The Home Gallery - Monmouth St. Tile
- JMH Home Design Consultants - Gallery
- People On The Move
- People On The Move: Jesse Greenberg
- Kids On The Move: Sam Judkis
- People On The Move - Peggy Karaban
- Summer Guide
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- The Bay
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Rockwell Dentistry
- Company Profile - Brock Farms
- The Guide 2015 - KryoLife Staten Island
- The Home Guide
- The Home - JGS Insurance
- The Home Guide - Adjusters NJ
- The Home Guide - ACD Custom Granite
SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
An Eclectic Colonial Gives a Nod to the Sunshine State
It was only 3 years ago when Jeff and Mary Schulsinger began spending every autumn and winter living in warm, sun-splashed Florida, but their love of the tropical lifestyle was something they’d felt for many years in their nearly 6,000-square-foot Marlboro home.
In 1976, the Schulsingers and their two oldest daughters, Gina and Sari, traded the streets of Brooklyn for the restful, open country feel of then rural Marlboro. Now, living in a perfect place in which to raise their children, Jeff and Mary added to their family with two more arrivals – daughters Jennifer and Rochelle. As one might imagine, having four girls also meant having plenty of friends stopping by, lots of sleepovers, and many parties. Jeff and Mary always made sure to provide a safe, caring, and fun place for it all, providing plenty of space inside for entertaining friends, as well as a large backyard and oversized heated pool (with spa) for summer fun.
Over the years, some rooms were added and some remodeled, with more than a few of them sporting a tropical, contemporary, Palm Beach style look. Their first project was a garden room, which just as easily could be referred to as a Florida room or a Lanai. The Schulsinger kitchen was remodeled to include modern angles and curves with granite and glass. Jeff and Mary also added a Miami-inspired master suite, featuring curved walls with glass blocks. If you close your eyes, you can almost smell the ocean.
While many of the rooms retained a more traditional style and feel, there are little clues throughout the home that seem to have foreshadowed Jeff and Mary’s snowbird plans for after the girls had all moved out of the family home.
Perfect for entertaining, the garden room is covered, floor to ceiling, with tongue and groove light mahogany. A water fountain in the back corner is surrounded by lush plants and greenery, and features a built-in bar with sink, cooktop, and wine rack.
The oak hardwood entertainment center and fireplace surround were both built 4 years ago by a custom cabinetmaker during the remodeling of the living and family rooms. They give the rooms, separated by an arch above two faux-painted columns, a warm, cozy feel.
The downstairs lavatory sparkles with mirrors, modern lighting, and a black lacquer clamshell pedestal sink.
The dining room is a traditional space. The Schulsinger family enjoys sharing holiday meals around the oval, banded flame mahogany table.
The huge gourmet kitchen had its makeover 15 years ago. While it is perfect for preparing a family feast, it is still a feast for the eyes. Black countertops and floors, white cabinets with unexpected curves, glass accents, and an occasional splash of turquoise are some of the most visually interesting parts of the home. The breakfast area looks out over the backyard and is anchored by a contemporary, 10-person marble-top table.
Twenty years ago Jeff and Mary decided to add the master suite above the existing three-car garage. The lighted tray ceiling and muted peach tones on sweeping, curved walls enhance the Floridian feel they love so much.
The master bath features a sauna, a steam shower, and a sunken spa tub under a wall of light-diffusing glass blocks.
Powered by eDirectory™