- Around Town
- CPC BEHAVIORAL HEALTHCARE GRAND OPENING
- Fall Guide 2015 - Gravity Vault
- AMI Providing Free Screening Mammograms
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Cory Schifter of Casale Jewelers
- Ask The Experts: Tina and Gabriel Simon BallRoom etc. Dance Studio
- Ask The Expert - Greg Nipoti
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Athena Learning Center
- The Guide 2015 - Colts Neck Center for Orthodontics & Invisalign®
- The Guide 2015 - Craft Master Builders Corp
- Cover Story
- Acing It All - Michael Lippens
- A Little Bit Country - Corey Wagar
- Staten Island Borough President James S. Oddo
- Day Tripper - Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- Day Tripper: Grounds For Sculpture
- Day Tripper - American Museum of Natural History
- ETC - Beach Bias
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - Pick Your Patch
- Fall Guide 2014 - Museums
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - The Real Estate Boutique
- Best Bet - Orangetheory Fitness
- The Guide 2015 - Lotus Health And Wellness Spa
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Allen Morgan Fertility and Reproductive Medicine
- Health Talk - Pop Weight Loss
- Health Talk - Ragui Sadek MD FACS
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - Allure Plastic Surgery Center
- Health - Aroma Skin Care & Day Spa
- Health - The Lombardi Plastic Surgery Center
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Give a Little - Get a Lot
- Streat Beat - Who Would You Invite To Dinner?
- Holiday Buzz: Out & About in NYC & PHL
- Yellow Brook Farm - A Post and Beam Approach Leads a Path to Timeless Design
- The Berman Home
- SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
- Living in Colts Neck
- Montrose Schoolhouse
- It's All in the Details
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - Viscon Builders
- Our Pick - Vein Institute of NJ
- Our Pick - Colts Neck Inn
- People On The Move
- People on the Move: Majorie Mollenauer
- Keith Barclay - Aspiring Inventor Builds His Dreams
- Mary Lou Moramarco - Volunteer Extraordinaire
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2015 - Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- The Bay
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Liberty Homes of Staten Island, Inc.
- The Guide 2015 - Richmond University Medical Center
- Our Pick - Gerald Peters Goldmine
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Giglio Builders
- The Home Guide - Energy Aide
- The Home Guide - Garage Floor Coatings
Weigh In - What is the best thing you ever got for free?
10/31/2010 - By Teja Anderson
Are the best things in life free? It all depends on your answers...
This issue the answers to our question were quite varied. Some of you recalled things you had won: contests, concert tickets, watches, trips and sports equipment. Some of you recalled things you had found: money, jewelry, and again sports equipment. Some of you thought of things you just can’t put a price tag on such as your children’s early artwork, the genetic makeup inherited from your parents, or your friends’ support and advice. And many of you took the question in a more metaphorical way, feeling that life itself was a gift indeed.
In fact, we found many optimists who felt that the best things in life are indeed free; family, friends, the air we breathe, and our very existence! But then there were a few pessimists who reminded us that nothing in life is free. There were also several men who thought that wives and ex-wives were out of the question as far as being free, but none of them wanted to use that as their answer and came up with something else.
The biggest differences between the towns were that folks at the Jersey Shore had a lot of answers about boats, fish, and fishing equipment. Our inland towns, Colts Neck, Marlboro and Holmdel, replied more about cars, skateboards and baseballs. The biggest difference between the sexes was that women thought of their babies and children as the best thing they had gotten for free whereas some men thought first of well, (ahem)….the act that brought about those babies and children.
On a personal note, the best thing I ever got for free was our beagle, “Jackson,” who three years ago was abandoned in a swamp by our home when he was just a few weeks old. I heard him howling and climbed a ten foot, poison ivy covered fence to retrieve him. He has grown into the most loyal, clever and affectionate companion our family has ever had…and he didn’t cost a penny!
-Pauline Collins & Edwin Ahlstrom
The love and gift of my family!
I won a Billy Ruff skateboard when I was 14!
Every year my friend Angela gives me fresh tomatoes out of her garden and I don’t even have to ask.
You don’t want to hear the answer to that! I was a marine once and I was quite a looker so you can imagine what I got for free…
Tickets to the commissioning of the ship the USS Alabama in Alaska.
My daughter, Allyssa, and my soon-to-be born son, Caleb.
My library card. I read over 100 books a year, so this can be an expensive addiction. Luckily, the library is a free and unlimited resource.
A photographer took modeling photos of me for free last summer.
My little kitty, Jerry. He was outside my door, meowing, one stormy night. It was the best gift I ever got and I never had to leave my house to receive it.
All the artwork that was given to me by my daughters when they were young. It hung all over the refrigerator and as one was taken down it was replaced by another.
My girlfriend’s parents bought this really expensive Canon® SLR digital camera. They wanted us to teach them how to operate it, because they could not figure it out on their own. Unfortunately for them, they never wanted to sit down and learn how to use the camera, so we ended up permanently borrowing it.
I got my smile from my mom and my eyes from my dad!
I found a cell phone on the ground once; I guess that was free.
Not my wife! That’s for sure. You think you get them for free but you don’t.
Is this a family magazine? I don’t think I should say then…
- Kevin Licht
I got free tickets to a Jets and Redskins game once and I gave them to my husband and son.
My amazing life, husband, and family. Oh and my dog...I love my faithful rescue dog!
My boyfriend and his father took me on a trip with them to Washington D.C.
My college and graduate school educations were both free. I received full scholarships for both. A freebie that keeps on giving.
My twin nephews and my three godchildren. I never wanted to marry and it never quite worked out for me to have my own kids, so I got all the fun of kids without the labor or school fees. Doublefreebies!
My kids…but I guess they aren’t really free anymore.
My first horse, an Appaloosa mare, very gentle and only five years old.
Nothing is for free. The bottom line is that there is always a catch.
In junior high school I won a 10-day trip to Japan. It was an experience I will never forget!
A new baby brother!
I once found a 5” Gerber Knife®…
- Nick Dunn
We got each other for free! But he’s probably the worst thing I got for free, too!
-Don & Jacob Ditzel
The first thing that pops into my head I probably can’t say…but ultimately, love.
-Pat Van Wagner
My life and the free air I breathe!
I got free headshots taken by my friend’s mom who is a really good photographer.
My friend Jeff gave me a watch for free from his company.
This diamond earring that I am wearing was given to me by a very special person and every time I touch my ear and feel it there I think about them.
I found an autographed Yankee baseball.
My babysitter Allie gave me Coach® nail polish!
This baby I am carrying…. so far, it’s free.
Life! And, my daughter.
My free membership to Yahoo personals where I met the greatest man in the world for me. A guy I probably never would have gone out with if I'd met him in person. Been together 5 years now. It was the best free thing ever!!
My mom won a skateboard and I got to have it!
Love is the best free thing I could ever hope for and receive. But my Audi S6, that I won, is too awesome!
- Kenneth Hope
Ernie’s boat slip!
I found 20 bucks once on the ground.
One of my teachers once gave me a really nice fly fishing rod...
-Austin Van Dyke
I won Tim McGraw tickets and they turned out to be amazing front row seats and I got to touch him five times! I got to go with her for free.
-Kathryn Stubing & Olivia Dunzelman
Well, it’s bittersweet. I won a 52” flat screen TV for free but then I had to pay to redecorate my whole living room to fit it in.
I won this Nautica® dive watch that I am wearing on a cruise. It was a free raffle; you didn’t have to pay anything to enter.
I won some trip to a day spa for my mother.... Not really something I got for free, just something for someone else.
My boat; a guy just said he didn’t want it any more and if I wanted it I could have it for free. Of course, I’ve had to put a lot of money in to it since then…
I found $505 at a bowling alley once but my mother made me turn it in.
I found $80 on a ride at the Strawberry Fair in Oceanport this year.
I caught a really big fish!
I won a free 42” plasma TV by accident. It was by accident because when I bought an ipod® I did not realize every purchase gives you one chance into the drawing, and I won!
I won a fishing rod from a tournament! I got him!
-Tyler & Nancy Wong
We won a free trip to Napa Valley!
-Merrie & Josh Samilow
I got salvation for free.
Just today I got the new Halo Reach® from my girlfriend!
I won a free trip to Nassau in the Bahamas.
The best thing I get for free whenever I really need it is great advice and support from my closest girlfriends.
I was given the gift of foresight and premonition in times of danger for loved ones. I have actually been able to save lives by warning people in time…including a former President of the United States!
A friend gave me free tickets to a Yankee’s game once and the seats were right behind the dugout!
My dog Max! We got him as a puppy from a rescue place. We thought he was a mutt but he turned out to be a Portuguese water dog. He lived for 16 years and he was just the best dog ever!
I picked up a five dollar bill right outside my car in the parking lot and I went inside and bought myself some flowers!
My husband won $50,000 in a weight loss/transformation competition and we were able to open our own business, a gym actually, with the money.
I got my first car for free as a graduation gift from my parents. It was a white Cutlass Supreme!
I got free tickets to a Radio Head concert.
I got free gas at a Wawa; I had asked for $20 but they weren’t paying attention and filled my tank. It came to $49 and all I had was the twenty. They knew it was their mistake so they told me it was on the house!
The absolutely best thing I got for free was to be born…I love my life!
I got a two-week trip for free with my friend whose company paid for it; one week in San Francisco and one week in Hawaii!
I got published in a major hairstyling book and got to work with a really great photographer and got a lot of free PR, too!
Nothing is for free in New Jersey; nothing. Not even the beaches any more.
Powered by eDirectory™