- Around Town
- Resources Real Estate Receives Nominations For Excellence
- Resources Real Estate announces their Award-winning Sales Agents
- 12th Annual AMI Foundation Golf Classic
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts - Rudolf C. Thompson, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Ask The Expert - Greg Nipoti
- Ask The Expert - Harbor Lights Financial Group, Inc.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - The Grove at Shrewsbury
- The Guide 2016 - Massage Envy Spa
- The Guide 2014 - Pier Village
- Cover Story
- Breaking News - Brian Thompson
- Middletown’s Trevor van Riemsdyk
- Perfectly Pitched For Success - Charlie Puth
- Day Tripper - Peddlers Village
- Medieval Times
- Day Tripper - National 9/11 Memorial & Museum
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide 2014 - Pick Your Patch
- Fall Guide - Kids Fashions
- Fall Guide 2014 - Activities
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Amy Puccio
- Featured Artist - Tim Dorland: A Glass Act
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Jumpstart to Fitness
- Best Bet - Family Focus Financial Group
- The Guide 2015 - AJC Advisors
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Michael R. DAgnes, FACHE
- Company Profile - Vascular & Interventional Specialists, PC
- Health Talk - Medimorphosis Physician Assisted Weight Loss
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health 2014 - Hearing
- Company Profile - New Relfections Plastic Surgery
- Health - Kensington Court
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Restaurant Guide - Osteria Cucina Rustica
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Best Bet - David Burkes Fromagerie
- Living in Colts Neck
- It's All in the Details
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Feels Like Home
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home - EcoSystems Fence Co
- Our Pick - Baymar Farms
- The Home Gallery - Ralco Builders
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move - Eesha Ramanujam
- People On The Move - Alexandra Kerenyi Augustyn
- People On The Move - Kyle Galante
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- The Bay
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - XCEL Club
- The Guide 2014 - Jersey Shore Premium Outlets
- The Guide 2016 - Ray Catena Motor Cars
- The Home Guide
- The Home - AIR DOCTORS, INC.
- Our Pick - The Real Estate Boutique
- The Home Guide - Troost Bros., Inc.
Weigh In - What is the worst gift you ever received?
11/20/2009 - By Teja Anderson
Living In Media hit the streets to find out what you folks felt were the worst gifts ever received....
Living in Media / livinginmedia.com hit the streets to find out what you folks felt were the worst gifts you ever received. So if you dont want to be known as a bad present giver, read on to find out what not to give your loved ones.
Hands down for kids and teens was clothing; especially socks! It turns out that socks are the lamest gift you can get from any family member or friend. No matter how fancy or colorful or how nicely wrapped, socks are not acceptable and will only elicit eye rolling. Bad wedding gifts were mentioned quite a few times both for their lack of effort and their stinginess. The guideline is usually to give a gift of equal value to the amount the bride and groom are spending on your wedding meal. So one wine glass - unless its made of solid lead crystal - is probably not going to cut it. Also, even though in these economic times re-gifting often makes sense, its probably a good idea to examine the item carefully before you wrap it back up to check for wear, breakage or worst of all an engraving to the original recipient(s).
For you fellas, when you want to impress a woman dictionaries and battery chargers are out, as well as Disney-themed cards and accessories. And ladies, although you may like getting lingerie, men do not, nor are they enthralled with cooking appliances. Lingerie is also not appropriate when given by a student to a teacher. Even more inappropriate is giving a bottle of alcohol as a gift to a minor!
Mother-in-laws were the source of the most disliked gifts amongst adults - which makes you wonder if they actually are that clueless or might perhaps be giving bad gifts on purpose! However, most of you were too afraid of them or of hurting your spouses feelings to let us quote you.
But truly the worst gift we heard about was the one from a spouse who gifted his wife with a bathroom scale shortly after she had given birth to their child!
My parents gave me an umbrella once, which was a pretty lame gift.
A pre-paid cell phone. I never learned how to use it and I didnt need it!
I got a muumuu from a Thrift Shopthat was pretty awful.
A fondue pot!
- Richard Sendell
A got a pair of socks from my Grandmother for my birthday.
I got a shotgun, that was before he was my exit was for skeet shooting.
Once on Halloween I got a toothbrush, toothpaste and an apple instead of candywho wants that?
I got socks once; not really a gift
An ex sent me dead roses a week after I broke up with him
A T-shirt with profanity on it that I would never wear, and also from my sister-in-law a pair of leopard g-string underwear that I would also never wear.
Clothes and socks are the worst!
Probably a gift card to a book store, that would be the worst thing I ever got.
My girlfriends husband gave her a half empty bottle of perfume with the "tester" sticker still on it! That is the worst gift ever.
A red, gray and black scarf for Christmas
I got a bathroom scale as a gift from my husband - not long after I had our baby.
The fiberglass raccoons! We still have them and we try to get rid of them every year at the White Elephant Party. It worked a few times but now everyone is on to the size of the box.
-Kathryn & Mike Plosica
I got one Christmas pillow once, not even a matching set. Oh, every year my friend Debbie brings me four pounds of yummy Christmas cookies when she knows I am trying to lose weight!
For our wedding we got a picture of an immature pineapple plant with a grasshopper. It was magenta with a teal matting in a gold frame
-Jennifer & Frank Guida
Orange socks from my husband!
My brother-in-law gave me a Tweety Bird watch for Christmas when I was 34! Obviously a re-gift.
My mother gave us a turkey gravy boat, a turkey platter and turkey salt and pepper shakers; when you poured the gravy it looked like the turkey was throwing up!
-Kelly & Tim Lang
That vase, the ugly grape vase that the realtor left us as a housewarming gift
-Rand & Gary Peppas
A High School Musical birthday card from my husband last yearthat was pretty bad.
A puzzle, two puzzles actually, that I got this year for Christmas.
A bra from my mother- in-law that was like 100 sizes too small.
I hate candy and I got a Butterfinger from my Uncle.
A wedding gift from my wifes best friend, it was a platter or something, but when you turned it over it was engraved to someone else.
I got a curling iron from my mother once and I have naturally curly hair!
The worst gift had to be for my wedding. A couple - two people who came to the wedding - gave us one single wine glass!
My Mother-in-law gave me a salad spinner one year, an asparagus cooker another year and energy efficient light bulbs last year!
A fern for having a baby from my husband.
My mom threatened to get my sister and I nose jobs for Christmas one year when we were teenagers.
The ugliest teapot ever; it was made out of these ceramic coils in the shape of a face. I wrapped it up and gave it back to the person who gave it to me the next year.
When I was still dating my husband before we got married he once got me a rechargeable battery charger. That and a really itchy pair of pants and an itchy sweater.
When I was a teacher I had a student who gave me a very sexy negligee. That was really horrible and embarrassing!
I got underwear one year from my father. They werent even real underwear - they were more like bloomers!
I got socks one time for my birthday and they didnt even fit. They were like way too small...
I got a handbook to all the "Worst Case Scenarios of Parenting." Can you imagine any parent wanting that?
I got a dictionary from a boyfriend once for my birthday.
I got the ugliest pair of black furry slippers once from my parents!
When I was 18 my boss gave me a bottle of Dewars White Label. Who gives an underage teenager a bottle of scotch? My friends and I drank it, of course and got really sick.
Powered by eDirectory™