- Around Town
- Annual Monmouth Teen Arts Festival
- The Atlantic Fencing Academy Announces District Winners
- Two River Theatre Annouces 20th Anniversary Season
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Experts: John M. Taylor
- Ask The Expert - Rudolf C. Thompson, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Ask The Experts: Dr. John M. Young
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Buyers Guide 2011-2012
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Gary Michaels Fine Jewelry
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - A Perfect Gift by Marilyn
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Circle BMW
- Cover Story
- Mary Higgins Clark
- Twelve - The Hayes Family
- Dr. Yong and Moon Choo…On a Fascinating Life Journey.
- Daytripper: Central Park Zoo
- Daytripper: Franklin Institute
- Daytripper: The Lakewood BlueClaws: Exciting Minor League Baseball at the Jersey Shore
- Etc - Tired, Busy, Distracted, and Resigned
- Etc - Walking through Monmouth County
- Etc - The Endless Summer
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Fall Guide - Kids Party Entertainment
- Fall Guide - Museums
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Featured Artist - Nate Chadwick
- Gift Guide
- Buyers Guide 2011-12 - Wine Academy Superstores
- Gift Guide - Jumpstart to Fitness
- Gift Guide - AW Eurostile
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Carol Ash, DO
- Health Talk - David Lopez, M.D.
- AMI Women’s Imaging Center in Brick Township
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health - The Samra Group
- Health - FOGLIA Skincare and Waxing Studio
- Health - Chips Salon
- Living in Colts Neck
- Muriel Rogers - Local Artist
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- It's All in the Details
- Newsletter Articles
- Wine Academy Superstores - Muscadet
- The Home Gallery - ABL
- Architectural Accents Kitchen Showcase
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Ken Davis
- People On The Move - Arthur Davey
- People On The Move - Serena DiMaso
- The Bay
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - One Stop Women’s Health
- The Bay - Welcome to the Premiere
- The Guide
- The Guide 2013 - Michael Duru Clothiers
- Company Profile - Bear Brook Commons Dental Group
- The Guide 2013 - Sea Spa & Salon
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - S DeCenzo Designs, LLC
- The Home Guide - Creative Kitchens
- The Home Guide - Garage Floor Coatings
Weigh In - What is the worst gift you ever received?
11/20/2009 - By Teja Anderson
Living In Media hit the streets to find out what you folks felt were the worst gifts ever received....
Living in Media / livinginmedia.com hit the streets to find out what you folks felt were the worst gifts you ever received. So if you don’t want to be known as a bad present giver, read on to find out what not to give your loved ones.
Hands down for kids and teens was clothing; especially socks! It turns out that socks are the lamest gift you can get from any family member or friend. No matter how fancy or colorful or how nicely wrapped, socks are not acceptable and will only elicit eye rolling. Bad wedding gifts were mentioned quite a few times both for their lack of effort and their stinginess. The guideline is usually to give a gift of equal value to the amount the bride and groom are spending on your wedding meal. So one wine glass - unless it’s made of solid lead crystal - is probably not going to cut it. Also, even though in these economic times re-gifting often makes sense, it’s probably a good idea to examine the item carefully before you wrap it back up to check for wear, breakage or worst of all an engraving to the original recipient(s).
For you fellas, when you want to impress a woman dictionaries and battery chargers are out, as well as Disney-themed cards and accessories. And ladies, although you may like getting lingerie, men do not, nor are they enthralled with cooking appliances. Lingerie is also not appropriate when given by a student to a teacher. Even more inappropriate is giving a bottle of alcohol as a gift to a minor!
Mother-in-laws were the source of the most disliked gifts amongst adults - which makes you wonder if they actually are that clueless or might perhaps be giving bad gifts on purpose! However, most of you were too afraid of them or of hurting your spouse’s feelings to let us quote you.
But truly the worst gift we heard about was the one from a spouse who gifted his wife with a bathroom scale shortly after she had given birth to their child!
My parents gave me an umbrella once, which was a pretty lame gift.
A pre-paid cell phone. I never learned how to use it and I didn’t need it!
I got a muumuu from a Thrift Shop…that was pretty awful.
A fondue pot!
- Richard Sendell
A got a pair of socks from my Grandmother for my birthday.
I got a shotgun, that was before he was my ex…it was for skeet shooting.
Once on Halloween I got a toothbrush, toothpaste and an apple instead of candy…who wants that?
I got socks once; not really a gift…
An ex sent me dead roses a week after I broke up with him…
A T-shirt with profanity on it that I would never wear, and also from my sister-in-law a pair of leopard g-string underwear that I would also never wear.
Clothes and socks are the worst!
Probably a gift card to a book store, that would be the worst thing I ever got.
My girlfriend’s husband gave her a half empty bottle of perfume with the "tester" sticker still on it! That is the worst gift ever.
A red, gray and black scarf for Christmas…
I got a bathroom scale as a gift from my husband - not long after I had our baby.
The fiberglass raccoons! We still have them and we try to get rid of them every year at the White Elephant Party. It worked a few times but now everyone is on to the size of the box.
-Kathryn & Mike Plosica
I got one Christmas pillow once, not even a matching set. Oh, every year my friend Debbie brings me four pounds of yummy Christmas cookies when she knows I am trying to lose weight!
For our wedding we got a picture of an immature pineapple plant with a grasshopper. It was magenta with a teal matting in a gold frame…
-Jennifer & Frank Guida
Orange socks from my husband!
My brother-in-law gave me a Tweety Bird watch for Christmas when I was 34! Obviously a re-gift.
My mother gave us a turkey gravy boat, a turkey platter and turkey salt and pepper shakers; when you poured the gravy it looked like the turkey was throwing up!
-Kelly & Tim Lang
That vase, the ugly grape vase that the realtor left us as a housewarming gift…
-Rand & Gary Peppas
A High School Musical birthday card from my husband last year…that was pretty bad.
A puzzle, two puzzles actually, that I got this year for Christmas….
A bra from my mother- in-law that was like 100 sizes too small.
I hate candy and I got a Butterfinger® from my Uncle.
A wedding gift from my wife’s best friend, it was a platter or something, but when you turned it over it was engraved to someone else.
I got a curling iron from my mother once and I have naturally curly hair!
The worst gift had to be for my wedding. A couple - two people who came to the wedding - gave us one single wine glass!
My Mother-in-law gave me a salad spinner one year, an asparagus cooker another year and energy efficient light bulbs last year!
A fern for having a baby from my husband.
My mom threatened to get my sister and I nose jobs for Christmas one year when we were teenagers.
The ugliest teapot ever; it was made out of these ceramic coils in the shape of a face. I wrapped it up and gave it back to the person who gave it to me the next year.
When I was still dating my husband before we got married he once got me a rechargeable battery charger. That and a really itchy pair of pants and an itchy sweater.
When I was a teacher I had a student who gave me a very sexy negligee. That was really horrible and embarrassing!
I got underwear one year from my father. They weren’t even real underwear - they were more like bloomers!
I got socks one time for my birthday and they didn’t even fit. They were like way too small...
I got a handbook to all the "Worst Case Scenarios of Parenting." Can you imagine any parent wanting that?
I got a dictionary from a boyfriend once for my birthday.
I got the ugliest pair of black furry slippers once from my parents!
When I was 18 my boss gave me a bottle of Dewar’s White Label. Who gives an underage teenager a bottle of scotch? My friends and I drank it, of course and got really sick.
Powered by eDirectory™