- Around Town
- AMI Presents Girls Night Out
- 5th Annual Cardboard Box City Raises More Than $14,000
- Staten Island Fun Facts
- Ask The Experts
- Ask the Experts: DicksteinAssociatesAgency, LLC
- AskThe Expert - Frank LaRocca
- AskThe Expert - John Kling Custom Homes
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2014 - Staten Island Mall
- Gift Guide - Chapel Hill Dental Arts
- The Guide 2014 - Atlantic Eye Physicians
- Cover Story
- Dana Canedy - A Gift For Jordan
- From Saigon to Success - Dr. Khanh Nguyen lives the ďAmerican DreamĒ in Colts Neck
- John Green - ABC News Award-Winning Producer
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Enrichment
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide - Art of Wine
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Josť Serrano
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Featured Artist - Sangita Phadke
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - Games2U Entertainment
- Gift Guide - Entertain With Jane
- Best Bet - IVF New Jersey
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - European Wax Center
- Health Talk - Hiren Patel, M.D., DABR
- Health Talk - Brian Long CareOne Senior Care
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Best Bet - David Burkeís Fromagerie
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Newsletter Articles
- Malvern School Hosts Seventh Annual Lemonade Day
- LOWER YOUR PROPERTY TAXES
- Eats: Red
- Our Picks
- Company Profile - Rosen Decorators
- HWB 2014 - Vein Institute of New Jersey
- Health - Steven A. Morgan, M.D
- People On The Move
- Kids On The Move: Shannon Bauer
- People On The Move - Donna Stefano
- Kids On The Move - Sarah Milne
- Summer Guide
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Bay
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - Paramount Oral Surgery
- The Guide 2014 - Vino Divino School of Wine
- The Guide 2014 - Manalapan Woodworking
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - ACD Custom Granite
- The Home - Ace Home Improvements
- The Home - ACD Custom Granite
Weigh In - "What is Your Favorite Movie of All Time?"
The 2011-12 movie awards season came to its annual culmination with the airing of the 84th Academy Awards on Feb. 26 - but that doesnít mean the cinematic debate has to end!
Watching more than a dozen organizations nominate and present achievement awards for the yearís top actors, soundtracks, visual effects, and much more over the last few months inspired Living In Media/livinginmedia.com to propose the most grandiose movie question of them all to our county residents.
Exactly how big of a field did our de facto film critics have to choose from? Itís hard to say, considering the motion picture industry dates all the way back to 1878, when photographer Eadweard Muybridge created the first motion picture by weaving still frames of a galloping horse together to scientifically prove that all four hooves lifted off the ground while it was running. As a result, the aptly-named The Horse in Motion, a 16- frame piece was born. Muybridgeís ingenuity sparked the creation of several movies in the coming years, thus laying the framework for the countless theatrical masterpieces we see today.
Across a sampling of a few of the fantastic theaters in Monmouth County, our participants were eager to play a supporting role in our cinematic poll. Only one movie garnered multiple mentions: Gone with the Wind, which isnít surprising since, when adjusted for inflation, itís the top-grossing film of all time. The answers spanned from the old-time classics of Casablanca and Wizard of Oz to the ubiquitous Harry Potter, and the reasons behind them were just as varied. Some were impressed by a starstudded cast, others by an intriguing script or moral, and a small faction enjoyed movies that rekindled their childhood memories. Just for fun, try to imagine what name you would pull out of your Ďfavorite movie of all timeí envelopeÖ
Gone with the Wind. It had romance and enough drama to keep your attention. Itís a classic.
- Thelma Johnson, Little Silver
Gone with the Wind. The acting and the storyline were superb. It was out of the mold for movies of its time.
- Jeanne and Jim Clark, Jackson
Taken. Liam Neeson is one of the best actors Iíve ever seen. The plot is very intense.
- Kapil Joshie, Middletown
Saving Private Ryan. I like the concept of it showing how to be an honorable American. Anything with Tom Hanks is awesome.
- Danny Conte, Aberdeen
The original Jaws. Steven Spielberg is a master. It was a compelling and suspenseful movie. The original was much better than the sequels.
- Ann Faris, Bradley Beach
Iíd say itís a tie between Rain Man and Mrs. Doubtfire. You donít see actors like Tom Cruise or comedians like Robin Williams anymore.
- Sally Silvera, Ocean
On the Line. It has a little bit of everything: comedy, romance, good plot and drama. I really like it.
- Anthony Allerton, Long Branch
Boondock Saints. I like all the action, and that concept of vigilantes catching all the criminals.
- Joshua Champlin, Manchester
The Blues Brothers. It was the best comedy of all-time. Thereís only one John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd.
- Hal K., Colts Neck
Smoky and the Bandit. Itís the best action movie out there. Burt Reynolds is great in it. I wish I could drive his car.
- Harold Mitchell, Eatontown
The Shawshank Redemption. It was a great drama, the kind where it really makes you root for the main character.
- Matt Marut, Keyport
Cannibal! The Musical. Itís just a good, silly comedy.
- Alyson Zilai, Brielle
A Little Princess. It was my favorite movie when I was a kid. It always reminds me of watching it with my dad and my life back then and that makes me happy.
- Angelina Iaria, Highlands
Red Dawn. I always think Ďwhat if?í when I watch that. What if we were invaded by the Soviets back then? Could teenagers have helped to fend them off? It was a great concept.
Ė Chris Iiara, Highlands
The Big Lebowski. With a cast like John Goodman, Jeff Bridges, and Julianne Moore, it had the best acting of any movie.
- Mike Stanzione, Manalapan
Casablanca. Humphrey Bogart is so charismatic in it. It was a great blend of comedy, romance, war... and illegal activities.
- Isabel L., Freehold
Groundhog Day. Bill Murray was a great comedian in it. I like the idea about getting to live the day over and make it perfect (left)
Ė John Gibson, Fair Haven
Dolphin Tale is my favorite. Iíve seen it four times. I like it because itís based on the true story of helping a real dolphin. (right)
Ė Harry Gibson, Fair Haven
Wizard of Oz. It takes me back to my childhood and watching it with my dad. Itís the quintessential American classic.
- Jane W., Red Bank
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I read all the books and thought they translated it to the screen well. It is the most epic of all the movies in the series.
- Rebecca Allerton,, Long Branch
Finding Nemo, The Little Mermaid, and Wall-E. The plots are cute and inspirational. The genius of Disney and Pixar is the cutting edge in graphics and animation. Outstanding!
- Mary K., Sea Girt
I love Peter Pan, but just the original one, not any of the remakes. Itís easily the best cartoon movie of all-time.
- Maureen Silver, Middletown
The Hangover. That movie redefined the comedies of this entire generation. Itís one-of-a-kind hilarious.
- Samuel Weinstein, Deal
Powered by eDirectory™