- Around Town
- Vote For Jacquie Lee
- Out & About - Summer 2013
- Colts Neck Cares 1st Annual Benefit for Bella
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Brock Farms
- Ask The Expert - Robert E.Wold, M.D.
- Ask The Expert - Harbor Lights Financial Group, Inc.
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Best Bets
- Best Bet - Carlo's Bakery
- The Guide 2014 - Brock Farms
- The Guide 2014 - Red White & Blue Contracting
- Daytripper: Liberty Science Center
- Day Tripper - American Museum of Natural History
- Day Tripper - Balloon Flights
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Franco Minervini
- Featured Artist - Taylor Franzreb
- Featured Artist - Carol Bruno
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2013 - Terrazza Restaurant
- Gift Guide - Red Bank Radiology
- Gift Guide - Maserati of Central NJ
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Michael R. D’Agnes, FACHE
- Health Talk - Dawn Rockwell, DMD
- Health Talk - Dr. Clifford M. Sales
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Health 2014 - Hearing
- Health - Old Bridge Center PT
- Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home Q&A - Oasis Backyard Farms
- The Home - Agostino Antiques Gallery
- The Home - Red Bank FrameWorks
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Reproductive Science Center of New Jersey
- United Teletech Financial Federal Credit Union
- Our Pick - Contemporary Motor Cars, Inc.
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Adam Lowy
- People On The Move - Dr. Tricia Gilbert
- People On The Move - Barbara Hilliard
- Summer Guide
- Summer Guide 2014 - Out & About
- Dish - Summer Guide 2014
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Bay
- The Bay - Healthier Heart
- The Bay - A Body In Motion
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2014 - School Answers
- The Guide 2013 - Poor Cat Designs
- The Guide 2014 - Merry Mutts
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Home Living Furniture
- The Home Guide - Kitchen & Bath Station
- The Home Guide - King Remodeling
Weigh In - What’s your favorite phone app?
08/30/2011 - By Christine Burke Eskwitt
What’s your favorite phone app?
According to an article by TechCrunch.com, in 2008 the iPhone App Store had just surpassed the 10,000 app milestone. Today, the App Store inventory has exploded to over 425,000 apps. That’s a staggering new amount of apps being released every single day.
The less tech savvy may ask, what’s an app? Mobile phone applications, known as apps, are small pieces of software which are sold online and can even be downloaded for free, giving smartphone users extra – and often novelty – applications. There are, literally, apps for everything, from apps for cooks to apps for outdoor lovers, apps that track your money or your time, apps for moms and dads, and lots of apps for going out or working out. There are apps for special interests, like golf or photography, even an app that acts like a piano. And apps aren’t just available for iPhones. Apps are also available for Blackberrys and most other handheld devices.
Mind boggling, really. I’m a person who often claims Facebook fatigue and considers shutting down that app. However, despite the limitless possibilities available, a recent tour through the Freehold Mall held some app surprises. Many people didn’t know if they had apps, or not, on their phones and a surprising number of tweens and teens just own basic cell phones, sans apps. The most popular app I encountered at the mall was overwhelmingly Facebook. Also popular was something called Angry Birds, which I had to look up when I got home. For those not in the know, Angry Birds is “Dangerously addictive but deceptively simple. Angry Birds lets you employ cartoon birds as weaponized projectiles in an escalating war against a posse of egg-stealing green pigs. (Don’t ask.) Revenge relies on vectors and basic principles of physics, but the gist is to use a slingshot to angle an ‘angry bird’ at the smug little pigs. The real challenge? Putting your phone down once you’ve started.”
Ok, so if you need to fill up some time, check out these apps. Here’s a list of 2011’s most popular phone apps, according to Time Inc. Magazine:
• Angry Birds
• Doodle Jump
• Fruit Ninja
• Cut the Rope
On the Go
• Word Lens
• Shop Savvy
Music & Photography
I’m a little behind in technology.
I use Pandora all the time.
Google Plus Mobile app.
Facebook is my favorite app.
Hipstamatic. It’s a camera app. It’s hard to explain but it’s so much fun to use.
I’m a big fan of Pandora and I (heart) Radio.
I have so many. Right now I would have to say my favorites are Angry Birds and Words with Friends.
Definitely MailChimp. It is the best for managing and designing email newsletters! I do not think I could have such a successful business without this tool!
Angry Birds is my favorite.
I play solitaire everyday. The maps app is great too. The flashlight app saved our lives once when we had to get roadside assistance and the mechanic didn’t have a flashlight.
Flixster. I can watch trailers, get showtimes in the area and read/share ratings with my friends. I am in the “biz” and this is a phenomenal tool for watching the media and social trends.
Facebook is my app.
Horoscope. I check mine everyday and I also check my friend’s horoscopes.
Been verified. You can check people out that you meet online.
Apps? I have them but I don’t use them.
You are asking the wrong person. I am still in the Stone Age technologically. I love Blackberry Messenger.
-Carmel and Gina Costanzo
iMapMyRIde is awesome. This app tracks my speed, distance, and routes. It is the best motivator and I can also link up with friends who are riding too.
Jen: I would say Angry Birds is my favorite app right now. You have to try it.
Brian: Facebook definitely.
-Jen and Brian Macfie
I use Facebook.
Facebook no doubt.
Powered by eDirectory™