- Around Town
- Oceanfront Restaurants New Wine Program Creates Big Waves in Jersey Shore Wine Scene
- School-Wide Coding Event at Rumson Country Day
- AMI Providing Free Screening Mammograms
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Expert - Mike Moretti
- Ask The Expert - Pelican Pool & Ski Center
- Ask The Expert - Alexandra Freer
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Bay Wellness - Physician Focus: Steven R. Berkman
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Lighting World
- The Guide 2015 - Bark Avenue Puppies
- Best Bet - Artistic Tile
- Cover Story
- Lights, Camera...Cooper!
- Captain David Harrison - Defending From The Jersey Shore
- Middletown’s Trevor van Riemsdyk
- DayTripper: New Hope, Pennsylvania
- Day Tripper - National 9/11 Memorial & Museum
- Day Tripper: Grounds For Sculpture
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Kids Activity
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Fall Guide - Art of Wine
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Hazlet Artist Jim McKenzie
- Featured Artist - Grace Your Space
- Featured Artist - The Yevchaks
- Gift Guide
- Best Bet - Orangetheory Fitness
- The Guide 2015 - Red Bank River Center
- Best Bet - Down To Basics
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - David Lopez, M.D.
- Health Talk - Kristin Belen, M.D.
- Health Talk - Falguni Patel, MD
- Health, Wellness & Beauty
- Our Pick - Red Bank Radiologists
- HWB 2015 - Vein Institute of New Jersey
- Health - Dr. Louis B. Conte
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Holiday Buzz: Out & About in NYC & PHL
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Holiday Buzz: Holiday Desserts
- Newsletter Articles
- Eats: Twin Lights Bakery Cafe
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- Our Pick: Marlboro Dental Arts, PC
- Our Picks
- Our Pick - Osteria Cucina Rustica
- Company Profile - The Compounding Facility
- Our Pick - ForeverLawn
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Daryl Schwenck
- Kids On The Move: Alexander Wolkomir
- People On The Move: Julie Baron
- Summer Guide
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Summer Guide 2014 - Our Jersey Shore
- The Bay
- The Bay - One Stop Womens Health
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - AW Eurostile
- Company Profile - Marshall P. Allegra
- Our Pick - Jaguar Land Rover of Monmouth
- The Home Guide
- The Home - Decorating Den Interiors
- The Home Guide - Showerman of NJ, Inc.
- The Home Guide - casale TILE
Weigh In - Whats your favorite phone app?
08/30/2011 - By Christine Burke Eskwitt
Whats your favorite phone app?
According to an article by TechCrunch.com, in 2008 the iPhone App Store had just surpassed the 10,000 app milestone. Today, the App Store inventory has exploded to over 425,000 apps. Thats a staggering new amount of apps being released every single day.
The less tech savvy may ask, whats an app? Mobile phone applications, known as apps, are small pieces of software which are sold online and can even be downloaded for free, giving smartphone users extra and often novelty applications. There are, literally, apps for everything, from apps for cooks to apps for outdoor lovers, apps that track your money or your time, apps for moms and dads, and lots of apps for going out or working out. There are apps for special interests, like golf or photography, even an app that acts like a piano. And apps arent just available for iPhones. Apps are also available for Blackberrys and most other handheld devices.
Mind boggling, really. Im a person who often claims Facebook fatigue and considers shutting down that app. However, despite the limitless possibilities available, a recent tour through the Freehold Mall held some app surprises. Many people didnt know if they had apps, or not, on their phones and a surprising number of tweens and teens just own basic cell phones, sans apps. The most popular app I encountered at the mall was overwhelmingly Facebook. Also popular was something called Angry Birds, which I had to look up when I got home. For those not in the know, Angry Birds is Dangerously addictive but deceptively simple. Angry Birds lets you employ cartoon birds as weaponized projectiles in an escalating war against a posse of egg-stealing green pigs. (Dont ask.) Revenge relies on vectors and basic principles of physics, but the gist is to use a slingshot to angle an angry bird at the smug little pigs. The real challenge? Putting your phone down once youve started.
Ok, so if you need to fill up some time, check out these apps. Heres a list of 2011s most popular phone apps, according to Time Inc. Magazine:
Cut the Rope
On the Go
Music & Photography
Im a little behind in technology.
I use Pandora all the time.
Google Plus Mobile app.
Facebook is my favorite app.
Hipstamatic. Its a camera app. Its hard to explain but its so much fun to use.
Im a big fan of Pandora and I (heart) Radio.
I have so many. Right now I would have to say my favorites are Angry Birds and Words with Friends.
Definitely MailChimp. It is the best for managing and designing email newsletters! I do not think I could have such a successful business without this tool!
Angry Birds is my favorite.
I play solitaire everyday. The maps app is great too. The flashlight app saved our lives once when we had to get roadside assistance and the mechanic didnt have a flashlight.
Flixster. I can watch trailers, get showtimes in the area and read/share ratings with my friends. I am in the biz and this is a phenomenal tool for watching the media and social trends.
Facebook is my app.
Horoscope. I check mine everyday and I also check my friends horoscopes.
Been verified. You can check people out that you meet online.
Apps? I have them but I dont use them.
You are asking the wrong person. I am still in the Stone Age technologically. I love Blackberry Messenger.
-Carmel and Gina Costanzo
iMapMyRIde is awesome. This app tracks my speed, distance, and routes. It is the best motivator and I can also link up with friends who are riding too.
Jen: I would say Angry Birds is my favorite app right now. You have to try it.
Brian: Facebook definitely.
-Jen and Brian Macfie
I use Facebook.
Facebook no doubt.
Powered by eDirectory™