- Around Town
- AMI Presents Girls Night Out
- RUMC Receives AHA - AHS Gold Plus Achievement Award
- 5th Annual Cardboard Box City Raises More Than $14,000
- Ask The Experts
- AskThe Expert - Stacy Lynn Costa MA, Ed.S.
- Ask The Experts - Premier Pain Centers
- AskThe Expert - Pauline Poyner
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Don't Forget
- Bay Wellness - Health After Menopause
- Bay Wellness - Welcome to our newest issue
- Best Bets
- The Guide 2015 - Richmond University Medical Center
- The Guide 2015 - Rosen Decorators
- Best Bet - The Rug Mall
- Cover Story
- Mike Scotti - From the Front Line to the Screen
- His Honor - Patrick Impreveduto
- Dr. Dinosaur ...aka Dr. Paul Kovalski
- Day Tripper - FRENCHTOWN
- Day Tripper - SLEEPY HOLLOW, NEW YORK
- Day Tripper - Mystic Seaport
- Fall Guide
- Fall Guide - Performing Theatre
- Fall Guide - Pumpkins, Hayrides, & Orchards
- Fall Guide 2014 - Fall Events
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Taylor Franzreb
- Featured Artist - Elyissia Chinchilla
- Featured Artist - José Serrano
- Gift Guide
- The Guide 2015 - The Grove at Shrewsbury
- The Guide 2015 - Massage Envy Spa - Holmdel
- Gift Guide - Babyface Aesthetics
- Health Talk
- Health Talk - Anthony Sparano, M.D.
- Health Talk - Mark Song, M.D.
- Health Talk - Dr. John Young
- Holiday Buzz 2014
- Give a Little - Get a Lot
- Dining Out For The Holidays
- Bright Lights & Holiday Magic
- Living in Colts Neck
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- La Bella Vita!
- Muriel Rogers - Local Artist
- Newsletter Articles
- The Home: Decorating Den
- The Home Gallery - Monmouth St. Tile
- Colts Neck Cares 1st Annual Benefit for Bella
- Our Picks
- Eagle Oaks Golf & Country Club - In A League of Their Own
- Our Pick - Cracked Olive Market
- Our Pick - Giglio Builders LLC
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Mary Connell Gaynor
- People On The Move - Mary Spadea
- Kids On The Move - Eesha Ramanujam
- Summer Guide
- Where Heritage Meets The Sea
- Dish - Summer Guide 2014
- Weigh In - My Favorite Jersey Beach
- The Bay
- The Bay - National Stroke Awareness Month
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Page Plaza Diner
- The Guide 2014 - 2 Chicks With Chocolate
- The Guide 2014 - Reproductive Science Center of NJ
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - Rodman’s Building Inc.
- The Home Guide - EncoreGarage of New Jersey
- The Home Guide - Ron Youmans, Jr.
Weigh In - What’s your favorite phone app?
08/30/2011 - By Christine Burke Eskwitt
What’s your favorite phone app?
According to an article by TechCrunch.com, in 2008 the iPhone App Store had just surpassed the 10,000 app milestone. Today, the App Store inventory has exploded to over 425,000 apps. That’s a staggering new amount of apps being released every single day.
The less tech savvy may ask, what’s an app? Mobile phone applications, known as apps, are small pieces of software which are sold online and can even be downloaded for free, giving smartphone users extra – and often novelty – applications. There are, literally, apps for everything, from apps for cooks to apps for outdoor lovers, apps that track your money or your time, apps for moms and dads, and lots of apps for going out or working out. There are apps for special interests, like golf or photography, even an app that acts like a piano. And apps aren’t just available for iPhones. Apps are also available for Blackberrys and most other handheld devices.
Mind boggling, really. I’m a person who often claims Facebook fatigue and considers shutting down that app. However, despite the limitless possibilities available, a recent tour through the Freehold Mall held some app surprises. Many people didn’t know if they had apps, or not, on their phones and a surprising number of tweens and teens just own basic cell phones, sans apps. The most popular app I encountered at the mall was overwhelmingly Facebook. Also popular was something called Angry Birds, which I had to look up when I got home. For those not in the know, Angry Birds is “Dangerously addictive but deceptively simple. Angry Birds lets you employ cartoon birds as weaponized projectiles in an escalating war against a posse of egg-stealing green pigs. (Don’t ask.) Revenge relies on vectors and basic principles of physics, but the gist is to use a slingshot to angle an ‘angry bird’ at the smug little pigs. The real challenge? Putting your phone down once you’ve started.”
Ok, so if you need to fill up some time, check out these apps. Here’s a list of 2011’s most popular phone apps, according to Time Inc. Magazine:
• Angry Birds
• Doodle Jump
• Fruit Ninja
• Cut the Rope
On the Go
• Word Lens
• Shop Savvy
Music & Photography
I’m a little behind in technology.
I use Pandora all the time.
Google Plus Mobile app.
Facebook is my favorite app.
Hipstamatic. It’s a camera app. It’s hard to explain but it’s so much fun to use.
I’m a big fan of Pandora and I (heart) Radio.
I have so many. Right now I would have to say my favorites are Angry Birds and Words with Friends.
Definitely MailChimp. It is the best for managing and designing email newsletters! I do not think I could have such a successful business without this tool!
Angry Birds is my favorite.
I play solitaire everyday. The maps app is great too. The flashlight app saved our lives once when we had to get roadside assistance and the mechanic didn’t have a flashlight.
Flixster. I can watch trailers, get showtimes in the area and read/share ratings with my friends. I am in the “biz” and this is a phenomenal tool for watching the media and social trends.
Facebook is my app.
Horoscope. I check mine everyday and I also check my friend’s horoscopes.
Been verified. You can check people out that you meet online.
Apps? I have them but I don’t use them.
You are asking the wrong person. I am still in the Stone Age technologically. I love Blackberry Messenger.
-Carmel and Gina Costanzo
iMapMyRIde is awesome. This app tracks my speed, distance, and routes. It is the best motivator and I can also link up with friends who are riding too.
Jen: I would say Angry Birds is my favorite app right now. You have to try it.
Brian: Facebook definitely.
-Jen and Brian Macfie
I use Facebook.
Facebook no doubt.
Powered by eDirectory™